ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Excellent write-up! Thanks Dale147 for posting.
Only problem was the Tiah Haynes bit. She couldn’t really play any games at AFLW level in 2019-20 when she wasn’t on a list. Shame he missed commenting correctly on her circumstances.
But very enjoyable read. 😊

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Dominant. Not an inch given until 5 mins to go in the 4th when the cue was back in the rack.

Knew we were missing Sharp a bit. That third creative goal kicker just pushes defenses too far. Hoping we can keep that pressure up for another 2 months.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not every game where we'll kick 7.1 to a team of Adelaide's quality 1.7. There was a lot that went right (however there was also a lot that could've gone right, but didn't quite too and they could've got a lot more reward for their dominance in the first 3/4 of the first qtr).

What you've gotta love is that they play with such full-blooded dare, working super hard across all lines with a brilliantly suited game style that gives them every opportunity to be in a position to damage the opposition on the scoreboard (aka kick sum snaggers).

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
That's key. We have super fast and super daring forwards. It is fantastic to support a team that actually plays to their strengths and exploits the fact that the women's game creates these opportunities for banging the ball over defensive lines that have been forced up the ground and are stretched for numbers, and letting your forwards race back to goal.

Whoever has been in charge of our recruiting needs to be given extra Tim Tams at the next team meeting. Houghton has stepped off Mt Olympus as far as I am concerned. She's the valkyrie's valkyrie. Duffy is the essence of sneaky little goalkicking puller-of-miracle-goal-out-of-arse forward. I doubt she is actually capable of kicking a conventional drop punt and, if she is, I never want to see it. Sharp is silly fast, a terrific mark, probably our most skillful player and is exactly the sort of person you want on your football team. A footballer.

Wind them up and let them go.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It's not every game where we'll kick 7.1 to a team of Adelaide's quality 1.7. There was a lot that went right (however there was also a lot that could've gone right, but didn't quite too and they could've got a lot more reward for their dominance in the first 3/4 of the first qtr).

What you've gotta love is that they play with such full-blooded dare, working super hard across all lines with a brilliantly suited game style that gives them every opportunity to be in a position to damage the opposition on the scoreboard (aka kick sum snaggers).
1.7 payback for 2009.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I'm just going to put this out there...you can throw it right back if you want to! Janelle Cuthbertson is our most pivotal player. Without her, scorelines become infinitely closer!

Well I have to agree wholeheartedly, she has been our biggest improver by the length of the straight.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'm just going to put this out there...you can throw it right back if you want to! Janelle Cuthbertson is our most pivotal player. Without her, scorelines become infinitely closer!
So much of the attack from defence starts with an intercept possession from Cuthbo. Nothing gets past her. Neat skills too.

From Amber on Twitter

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Did anyone notice the left footed pass from Haynes to Stewart?
It was very high skilled & flies in the face of those who consider our team short of finesse.
Possibly 2nd or 4th quarter as it was when we were kicking to the left of screen.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Your loss. I had no problem watching Duffy go back with a perfect routine to kick it through from 25m with a conventional drop punt. Harder than it looks.

Don't I know it. I spent 20 years trying to drop it straight. Then another 20 trying to hit it on the sweet spot to get the perfect revolutions. I'll get it soon.

I was praising Sabreena with faint damning. She's got more tricks up her sleeve than a conjuror's convention.

Don't I know it. I spent 20 years trying to drop it straight. Then another 20 trying to hit it on the sweet spot to get the perfect revolutions. I'll get it soon.

I was praising Sabreena with faint damning. She's got more tricks up her sleeve than a conjuror's convention.
Pencils Bigger in for Ruck/Defender..

In a game where there might only be four or five goals scored total, having players with the ability to turn relatively non-chances league wide into goals like Houghton, Sharp and Duffy their impact in the side is even more pronounced.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I am a great lover of the defensive arts (AKA unco).

Seeing Cuthbertson leap up from the deck and immediately throw herself on a kicking leg to spoil just makes me all teary and proud to be Australian. And seeing the precision involved in a 6 foot hundred bloke like Hammer running twenty metres to punch a ball coming in at top speed, that's three metres off the ground and being tracked by a monster forward, well, that gives me the ******* horn, that does.

Back