Autopsy Rd 3 vs Swans. 19 point loss

Whose game did you like today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My reductive conclusion for the problems we had this match is just that the players Weren't Good Enough - individually and in teamwork.

We rarely kick to the advantage of our players, and too often bring the opposition defender into the contest with a particularly bad pass. For whatever reason, when there is a chance to centre the ball and get some overlap run, we don't have anyone there. Great example is towards the back end of the game when we brought the ball out to Murphy near the centre square from the wing. He spins around and looks for the next pass / runner and sees nothing. You could see the look of exasperation on his face. So of course he kicks long down the line.

It might be a failure of coaching, but I suspect it's just got to do with poor performance on the players' behalf. Lack of ability to run through there, be it fitness or smarts. I don't think it's the game plan - it's just execution.

It's a time thing. I have no doubt this will improve. I just hope it improves sooner rather than later because I'm getting real sick of losing.
Precisely, though I believe our game plan was found out and we didn't respond well.

Again - personal attacks without an ability to analyze the game appropriately.

Didnt you say Bailey Smith is a better player than Sam Walsh more or less tells a tale on reading the situation.

You really are struggling, what does my opinion of 2 players have to do with whether Bolton can coach?

Stay on the subject at hand

LOB being hard done by. Wasn't the best game but the kid is far from a bust, 2nd year player who showed a lot in his first year. Was far from the worst on ground today. Will get better. Looking forward to the next 10+ years of him.
I love LOB, and believe he is an integral part of our future. Our current ball security is abysmal.
But, he was bloody ordinary today, a shadow of his 2018 self. Soapy V alluded that he was no chance for selection given the management outlined,
then lo and behold he is named, clearly not in the right space for the job, I am perplexed.

I am a huge Bolton fan, but am becoming perplexed by some of the selections. Love Setters, but needs a rest, love the potential of Dow, but am over the basic
skill errors. Methinks Bolts loves some of his boys too much thinking about what they can become rather than adding a dash of reality. Setters and Dow need a
management rotation in the next couple of weeks.
Matt Kennedy is a genuine mature(ish) inside mid. Setters and Dow will be, SPS and Fisher are both quality players, but not first choice inside mids. The engine room needs a reset, and the quality users need to be playing the support/distribution roles.

Haven’t had a decent small forward in ages.
Can’t believe didn’t have a look at Sydney Stack after he didn’t get drafted. I know had some off field issues but surely you back club/coaching to get beat out of a kid like that.

We need a tall wingman/HFF who has pace, can take a contested mark, and is good at ground level. We also need cunners, and a quality small forward or 2 who can make opposition defenders shite themselves when ball spills. So close, yet so far.
That's the type we need most but nothings an all-in-one cure. It's certainly closer to the point than 'we need small forwards because ours are crap'.

I thought fitness was the the star performer today - kept us in the game and if the team had just a bit of polish and just a tad more smarts the result could easily have been very different. the other positive is that we had one more scoring shot that Sydney - but inaccuracy actually was the major negative contributor after the big problem ( 10-14 V 14-9) - which from my perspective was the match ups between the arcs combined with poor basic skills execution and the two go hand in hand over four quarters.

So despite all the finger pointing at this or that player(s) which really doesn't speak to why we lost - it boiled down to kicking accuracy as being the major difference between the sides- and that is DESPITE the fact that Sydney (like Port last week) were allowed to play a very uncontested game- because their field kicking was much better and their players out marked too many of ours - between the arcs.

My theory is that we are just too short and too small between the arcs on the outside and this will persist for as long as we kid ourselves that Fisher can out mark Heeney ( just one example of a s**t matchup in Q2/3 ) or that just because players are short they can play as 'small' forwards...

I was accused of ranting and losing it -when I expressed my disgust at Kennedy not being selected. My reasoning is and will continue to be largely based on getting the between the arcs structure optimised and provide some in game options for Bolton.

We aren't too tall anywhere- we are in fact too small and too short in too many places - that and the fact that a few of the younger players had off days with their kicking as well as McGovern being off - again mucked up planned structures.

Disappointing result is disappointing - but not unexpected.

Surprised so many talked themselves into thinking Sydney was our best opportunity - there will be no best opportunity - you have to win a game no one hands it to you - and that starts with kicking the 4-5 regulation 25 meter out shots we missed- these are the coach killers.

That is true, you see setterfield and you think wow there’s A grade qualities in that move and then he stops chasing or misses a tackle ....it’s just a young man that needs time.
On Setterfield you can see the quality that will rise to the top in a couple of years but compared to say O’Brien and Polson I can’t see them making it.

O,Brien will be a jet, just needs time. Polson will be a bit player and will always struggle with that sort of delivery into the forward half

Can you add tackle numbers in there? Interested to see how much Newman is successfully laying a tackle, as opposed to ghosting someone enough for Champion Data to give him a participation medal.
Sure thing boss:

Tackles:
Lachie Plowman: 3
Liam Jones: 3.3
Jacob Weitering: 1.7
Nic Newman: 2.3
Kade Simpson: 1.3

Gee we miss willo.
We have Simmo, plowman and marchbank all wanting to play loose and intercept.
None of them are great 1on1 and none of them are great kicks (plowman and marchy shocking)

We need someone who can hit a target coming out of the defensive 50. not sure what his defensive work is like@

IMO, as soon as Willo is fit, he should replace Daisy.

If we added up our good quarters this year we'd almost have a full game.

Just terrible coaching, terrible disposal. We played right into the Swans hands.

Crippa tried his heart out, as did Jones.

Ed turned it around as a forward.

Harry had an almost game, just wait till he puts it all together.

Thought Lobbe was decent.

Samo stepped up when we needed him.

Gibbons and Polson are not AFL standard. Drop.

Dow and Fisher were very bad.

We'll lose to the Suns.
Did you say Lobbe was decent? Wow. How on Earth did we watch the same game.

Polson was horrendous and that is Polson.
LOB just not AFL ready. Needs another 2 years. Gibbons not good enough.

Should be easy decision for next week.

Out: Lobbe, Polson, Gibbons, LOB
In: Kreuzer, Kennedy, JSOS and lets give Stocker a go.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sound like the media, just drawing the line at our last win, surely you are not including last year considering all the injuries

This entire point of playing a game every week is to win, so yeah drawing a line at our last win is an important element.

I could look past the win/loss column if there was steady improvement happening each game we play, but Look at our 3 losses this year, all 3 are carbon copies of the previous weeks loss.

When do the exudes stop and we face up to the fact Bolton is close to if not the worst coaching record of anything modern coach.

Setterfield looks exhausted and we just finished round 3, somewhat expected though given his pre-season. He'll need managing very soon from Russell.

Wouldn't be against giving Stocker a run.
He just needs games. Will get better each one. Gotta look for the signs each week like the gather and sidestep and shot at goal. Just shows class at times

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You really are struggling, what does my opinion of 2 players have to do with whether Bolton can coach?

Stay on the subject at hand

You should look in the mirror.

No I dont think Bolton can strategically coach. I think he is at VFL level and already stated valid reasons but with silly snide remarks as you do not know how to retort.

So do you think Bailey Smith is a better player than Sam Walsh?

My reductive conclusion for the problems we had this match is just that the players Weren't Good Enough - individually and in teamwork.

We rarely kick to the advantage of our players, and too often bring the opposition defender into the contest with a particularly bad pass. For whatever reason, when there is a chance to centre the ball and get some overlap run, we don't have anyone there. Great example is towards the back end of the game when we brought the ball out to Murphy near the centre square from the wing. He spins around and looks for the next pass / runner and sees nothing. You could see the look of exasperation on his face. So of course he kicks long down the line.

It might be a failure of coaching, but I suspect it's just got to do with poor performance on the players' behalf. Lack of ability to run through there, be it fitness or smarts. I don't think it's the game plan - it's just execution.

It's a time thing. I have no doubt this will improve. I just hope it improves sooner rather than later because I'm getting real sick of losing.
I'd argue that trying to leave the aggregate running requirements to too few is a tactical error.

Yeah, we're really missing Doc.
Williamson would allow Simpson to fill that gap. Tom Murphy, who is over at North, would have been a better get than Shaw in the 2017 drafts, and would have nullified our need to even try and recruit Newman.

We didn't get clean clearances which meant the next possession became contested as well.
We need cleaner use around stoppages so that our outside players can actually use the ball, otherwise we go from contest to contest until the ball is turned over.

We got plenty but kept kicking the pill down the line and maybe one or two to advantage. But most kicks were to players standing still while the ball was landing on their heads

Back