Autopsy Rd 4 Blues beat Suns but it wasn't pretty

Who did their job in round 4 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The boundary umpires didn’t help, struggled to get it halfway to the normal contest point when throwing it in on so many occasions I lost count, must have been the Eleni/Williamson boundary ump equivalents. NFI at all

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
amazing how the boundary umpires woeful efforts only disadvantaged our bloke..........

Really hope we’re going hard at Leppitsch. Would be perfect for us.
I think, if we can wait, Bucks would make a superb senior assistant/opposition analyst.

He's very one-track wheh it comes to coaching; play the way your opponent doesn't like. He's also pretty decent at clearance work. Could be a terrific assistant coach, if losing the Collingwood job knocks a bit of the Figjam out.

Really hope we’re going hard at Leppitsch. Would be perfect for us.

Hell no, he almost ruined Brisbane as much as Crazy Vossy did. Runplestiltskin himself would have looked good as an assistant on a Richmond coaching set up

images

Poaching someone like Adam Yze would be my preferred option if possible.

But yes , No to Leppa.

Let’s just say it didn’t help to open the game up at all. it’s not like a centre bounce action and is a pretty easy skill to execute, should be dropped.

ever thrown a footy that far? lots of times?

The Tackle: Mark Robinson reveals his likes and dislikes from Round 4 of the 2021 AFL season

Grim reading for dow...stats can be deceiving but in this case matches the eye test.

Lately he almost always handballs cause he's under pressure...in itself not necessarily a bad thing but it just seems he's unable to find space or dance around an opponent to get a good kick in.

1 score involvement is poor for a forward/mid. Also doesn't seem to have great fitness as his TOG is constantly low.

Just far too many weaknesses currently.

I watched the 4th quarter again - I really like Kayo for the ability to easily scroll throgh stuff - I'd like to learn how to take some video capture so I can highlight certain bits of play - but I guess posting on her might infinge copywrite ..dunno

anyway

AT one stage we had kicked 6-7 behinds in a row - the game could have easily been won by 3-4 goals at least if the players involved had just a touch of cool headedness in their execution...

Cottrell was lucky not to have a broken leg after Harbrows 'Edwards like' slide into his legs...Harbrow knew exactly what he was doing in that incident as well as his hit on Gibbons...

speaking of Cottrell - he could have and shoudl have iced the game himself twice in the final quarter - apaert from that I have grown to really like his contribution - especially defensive endeavour and Parks did a few littel support things in teh final quarter that rally helped in tight contested situations - Weitering was phenomenal and such a 'clean' player ....(pity about that) if he ever gets even a hint of mongrel some forwards are going to get carried off the field in stretchers.

Thanks for that - I do remember reading that somewhere too.

In terms of our poor balls skills on the night, the commentators kept mentioning the humidity as the reason. However, I recall a post earlier in this thread by someone who attended the game saying it was a perfect night for footy and the humidity actually shouldn't have been a factor. Did anyone else have any thoughts about this part?

Is just moist up here mate.

Even if it’s cooler and feels more crisp Is not dry like down in Melbourne. I think people get confused cause humidity is usually associated with sweating your ass off. But at night at this time of year it will ‘cool down’ and the air kinda feels like it’s just rained.
Or there’s a waterfall nearby or something.

Dow by hand is elite. He has learnt what his limitations are with kicking and is doing just what he needs to do which is chop in hard, get the ball and find a player on the move.
Thought his long kick to sos on the lead in the last was a ripper for what we expect of him. But your right, doesn’t kick much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could of offered him more $$$ than Teague to come be the assistant, he wouldn't as he hates the Blues. But he did convince Shiel to go to *, so he did us a huge favour!
He is an emotional character, probably mellowed a bit. He brings big-time pressure experience which would be invaluable to young kids that may get overwhelmed.
i can still remember 2004, coming up against arguably the best team assembled on a park in the modern era, coached by one of the greats on and off the park.
Williams had opposition within the club who wanted him gone and he still won an epic arm battle with the lions for a premiership
They did not falter and didn't take a backward step to all that was served up, Perfect position as an assistant (Richmond) and now the dees
Mathieson should have thrown money at him

Thought his long kick to sos on the lead in the last was a ripper for what we expect of him. But your right, doesn’t kick much.
i looked at ytube vid of carltons best goals in 2019, Dow figured in quite a few, Most definitely a better player, something is amiss

I think, if we can wait, Bucks would make a superb senior assistant/opposition analyst.

He's very one-track wheh it comes to coaching; play the way your opponent doesn't like. He's also pretty decent at clearance work. Could be a terrific assistant coach, if losing the Collingwood job knocks a bit of the Figjam out.
he will never play second fiddle , its just not him

I watched the 4th quarter again - I really like Kayo for the ability to easily scroll throgh stuff - I'd like to learn how to take some video capture so I can highlight certain bits of play - but I guess posting on her might infinge copywrite ..dunno

anyway

AT one stage we had kicked 6-7 behinds in a row - the game could have easily been won by 3-4 goals at least if the players involved had just a touch of cool headedness in their execution...

Cottrell was lucky not to have a broken leg after Harbrows 'Edwards like' slide into his legs...Harbrow knew exactly what he was doing in that incident as well as his hit on Gibbons...

speaking of Cottrell - he could have and shoudl have iced the game himself twice in the final quarter - apaert from that I have grown to really like his contribution - especially defensive endeavour and Parks did a few littel support things in teh final quarter that rally helped in tight contested situations - Weitering was phenomenal and such a 'clean' player ....(pity about that) if he ever gets even a hint of mongrel some forwards are going to get carried off the field in stretchers.
Weiters love him he's the exact player we needed to pull us out of the crap side we were.
His reaction to King throwing him to the ground (eye balling King who couldn't get out there quick enough while weiters wanted to remain)
He's a ******* "massive" unit, can see players running with the flight taking short steps knowing he's coming the other way.
He's a winner winner, all winner winners have got mongrel. When we win more he will exert it more....
He'll be ruthless when we are on top.

Last edited:
The boundary umpires didn’t help, struggled to get it halfway to the normal contest point when throwing it in on so many occasions I lost count, must have been the Eleni/Williamson boundary ump equivalents. NFI at all

Is this true though? I watched the whole game and saw the same as you did but all I kept thinking was, why are the rucks starting so far back?
Nearly every throw in, the rucks were running hard to get to the fall of the ball, with the space they could hit it in, severely restricted, due to where the ball would be, by time they reached it,

Is it oversimplifying things to say, start 5m forward FFS

Dow and Setterfield are both pretty good at handballing :thumbsu:
They are. Dow needs to get it more, his disposal is great when he gets it, love the lower body strength. Setters has gone backwards from 2020. Out of position? Maybe, lift young fella and impact. Get back to the spot you want to be. Ed just keeps beating back the youngsters.

Cripps seems to trudge along hands on hips, stressed face, mouth breathing hard, 10 min in the first quarter
He's playing dumb wrecking ball footy, almost kamikaze. Tries to do too much. I don't know if he's carrying a chronic injury.
poorly coached atm, maybe coaches are scared to be forthright given his contract status? I don't know, but he looks heavy for a mid. At the prime of his career, it feels like his best footy is behind him.
He is doing what he needs to do to get back to beast mode after trying to slim down. He is, and will continue to be fine.

9 centre clearances by us from 21 centre bounces when the other team doesn't have a recognised ruckman is an indictment on our coaches and players. No excuses, just not good enough.
Ffs, they spent all week game planning for losing the ruck contests. Pitto is not the ruck beast to,take advantage of this mismatch. Ruckman on the modern era are extra midfielders unless your name is Nic Nat. Hurry up King. We won them when we needed to in the 4th.

Back