Preview Rd 4 Geelong V Brisbane Fri April 8 750pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fanfare from Selwood's record breaking 227 games as Captain is over.

A remarkable feat and a remarkable game with a remarkable result in the end.

But now comes the cost...

That last 1/4 everyone lifted and made it their point to attack every possession like it was their last - and it showed.

Backing that up now is the hard part. That kind of effort over 24 weeks in not sustainable week in week and and the Lions are firing on all cylinders right now - being 6 goals down wont be recoverable as easily... not that its ever easy.

Who comes back in, who goes out? WE have been managing players since Rd2... so id expect that carry on.

Lets get it done and be 3-1 after 4 weeks...

Go Catters

The fanfare from Selwood's record breaking 227 games as Captain is over.

A remarkable feat and a remarkable game with a remarkable result in the end.

But now comes the cost...

That last 1/4 everyone lifted and made it their point to attack every possession like it was their last - and it showed.

Backing that up now is the hard part. That kind of effort over 24 weeks in not sustainable week in week and and the Lions are firing on all cylinders right now - being 6 goals down wont be recoverable as easily... not that its ever easy.

Who comes back in, who goes out? WE have been managing players since Rd2... so id expect that carry on.

Lets get it done and be 3-1 after 4 weeks...

Go Catters
Fanfare?? He was booed and called every disgraceful term under the sun any time he went near it. It was a disgrace.

we should celebrate it this weekend. As there was no celebration at the mcg. Pies supporters ruined it. cheer every selwood possession loudly.

Also got concussion at the weekend.

That to - was just checking to see who wasn't up to date with that info

Also why I'd think he's another 2 or 3 weeks away minimum - no football for 12 days, our next VFL match after this weekend is Thursday 14th up on the GC and while eligible to play it'll obviously depend on how he recovers from the concussion

It seems he's been running for a while, but he played less than half a match on the weekend and just to get that match fitness & touch back he may need a couple more matches

I’d be giving Selwood the week off. He’s not going to make it through the year without careful management.

In: O’Connor, Miers
Out: Ratugolea, Selwood

Would like to see Stephens but that seems wishful thinking.

I
I’d be giving Selwood the week off. He’s not going to make it through the year without careful management.

Out: Ratugolea, Selwood

Would like to see Stephens but that seems wishful thinking.
agree re Selwood but let him stay home when we travel.

Huge match this one.

If we're 3-1 we can go into the next 7 matches in a great position where we play opposition expected to be on the weaker side. If we're 3-1 we can take the chance to rotate some names out, blood a few youngsters, etc. If we're 2-2 that's more difficult to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd keep Selwood for this week and then double rest him for Hawthorn, North then give him a run of games into the bye and see how he feels. That would give Stephens or whoever comes in a couple games against younger, lighter-bodied midfields to get his feet wet. I don't think we will as Hawthorn at the MCG has that rivalry aspect and I think he'll insist on playing, but I'm at least hoping the fact that we've already managed Higgins and subbed Dalhaus that we are going to be a bit more pro-active in regards to resting these guys more in the first half of the season. We only need 10-15 good Selwood games backended towards the end of the season.

We need some more defensive cover through the midfield. All our mids run forward there’s no one covering the defensive side of the stoppages. I’d be replacing Higgins with O’Connor to play that role.
If Esava is out they’d have to look at playing Dekoning in that forward/ruck role. He helped change the game when he moved there. Would leave us a bit shorter down back but the options are thin for either position.
The Lions won’t be as tall with McInerney out Fort will be the main ruck.

We need some more defensive cover through the midfield. All our mids run forward there’s no one covering the defensive side of the stoppages. I’d be replacing Higgins with O’Connor to play that role.
If Esava is out they’d have to look at playing Dekoning in that forward/ruck role. He helped change the game when he moved there. Would leave us a bit shorter down back but the options are thin for either position.
The Lions won’t be as tall with McInerney out Fort will be the main ruck.
Was thinking along the same lines...

Out: Ratugolea (ink), Higgins
Sub: Dahlhaus

• Blicavs to play FB/2nd ruck
  • O’Connor to tag Neale and be the extra defender when Blicavs rucks
  • Miers to play closer to goal with Close up the field in Higgins’ role.
I liked what Dahl was able to do in midfield so I would look for a repeat as sub.

In a couple of weeks I’d want to manage the midfield group using Stephens and Menegola but both are a little underdone and could use one more game/week. No VFL so hopefully we organise a scratch match.

Fanfare?? He was booed and called every disgraceful term under the sun any time he went near it. It was a disgrace.

we should celebrate it this weekend. As there was no celebration at the mcg. Pies supporters ruined it. cheer every selwood possession loudly.

Oh no…. Booing !?! Lol

So… bc a few moron Pies flogs booed who are gonna boo at anything anyway we need to redo it again… and look like we can’t recognize these things away from home!?? I don’t think so.

Perhaps a little more intestinal fortitude and giving a few shits less about what others do is in order - Selwood seemed pretty happy with the way it went.
Pies players did the honour guard at the end. Boxes ticked IMO. It’s a personal record in a team game. Was recognized and respected by those in the game.

I’d say focus should be totally on beating the Lions… but that’s just me.
The one thing from last week they should look at reproducing is the last 1/4. No doubt there.

Go Catters

Oh no…. Booing !?! Lol

So… bc a few moron Pies flogs booed who are gonna boo at anything anyway we need to redo it again… and look like we can’t recognize these things away from home!?? I don’t think so.

Perhaps a little more intestinal fortitude and giving a few shits less about what others do is in order - Selwood seemed pretty happy with the way it went.
Pies players did the honour guard at the end. Boxes ticked IMO. It’s a personal record in a team game. Was recognized and respected by those in the game.

I’d say focus should be totally on beating the Lions… but that’s just me.
The one thing from last week they should look at reproducing is the last 1/4. No doubt there.

Go Catters

In fairness, he is breaking the record again this week

Need some extra grunt in the middle, O'Connor + a youngster would keep me happy. Should also seriously considering keeping Dahl as the dedicated super-sub from now on, he did it well and it means we don't run the risk of having a young bloke miss an entire week of footy if it goes unused.

In : Stephens Narkle
Out : Ratagolea Higgins

Atkins Blicavs Henry
Bews DeKoning Stewart
Duncan Guthrie Smith
Holmes Cameron Parfitt
Stengle Hawkins Close
Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
Touhy Stephens
Kolo Narkle

Sub : Miers

Blicavs to play 2nd ruck

Higgins would be stiff to get dropped given how well he played
Brisbane also have good forward firepower-admittedly if they dont bring in another tall for omac (whichthey could do)it helps but id be reluctant to take blitz to ruck and leave us short in defence.then again i dont think dek or neale are ready to ruck and we dont have another kpd to bring in.
We might rest a sore body or two with 6 day turnaround i think moc and miers come in before stephens and narkle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back