Preview Rd 4 Geelong V Brisbane Fri April 8 750pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as O’Conner doesn’t tag then the side is fine.

I said two years ago he will break down and he did.
The problem is I don’t see how he fits into the back flank. I would have dropped kolo.

So maybe we’ll just go ahead and break him again.

Although I’d pick close over miers (not that close was dropped) I think miers could adapt to the game style well.
On what basis? Stats? Others opinions of him on this board? Because you never watch a game according to your comments.

Hey catters

Just me or is your backline incredibly tall? Tom Stewart your shortest player!

Interesting approach as our small / mid forwards are handy. I know Henry is pretty mobile but still seems a tad on the tall side?

Looks like a relatively warm night and no rain, wish i could be there!

Agree totally,

I just wonder whether by the half way mark if that's exactly what we will be seeing.
There are some signs indicating a shift and that maybe we just need to hold fire for 6 or so weeks.

Cooper Stephens is the great hope - poor kid has the hopes of all geelong supporters on his shoulders. I feel like we are trying to build the confidence and base in him with a view of giving him the best chance to get in and stay in. Hopefully from round 7, he gets in, can stay fit and can start his career alongside max holmes and brad close.

I do cringe a little when I go to use the argument that the "kids haven't played much footy the pass two years." You only need to look at Hawthorn and see what McDonald is doing to think that perhaps it's time to see Stevens/Knevitt sooner rather than later.
why rd 7?

Anyone who can play tall and ruck, sure. Not a small misfit forward

A small forward made all the difference when we finally got Sav off the ground last week though.

I want every GFC player to succeed, but Sav ain't no good.

He can't ruck, he can't mark, and he isn't Best 22.

A log in long grass is as likely to impact a game as he is.

I think its only a matter of time before they come up with a stat that reflects this. It's a way better indicator of how a team is playing than just the broad stroke of 'clearances'. I remember hearing Jonathon Brown saying it was something Leigh Matthews would pinpoint during training. Quality inside 50s should be another one.

On match days, they often show scores from clearances and centre bounces For and against. Not a 1 for 1, but a good basic measure. Rather than a single state a break down into categories would be helpful. Not just clearance but the outcome of stoppages. A team winning good clearance at the result of the opposition doing the same, separate from this it hurts further isn't a win if they have a better forward line.

Something like, once the movement of the ball has stopped, you'd characterise it by where the ball is, and who controls the ball

For centre bounces it would be

Retained possession I50
Retained possession Wing/midfield
Retained possession D50
Ball in dispute I50
Ball in dispute Wing/midfield
Ball in dispute D50
Opposition retained possession our I50
Opposition retained possession Wing/midfield
Opposition retained possession our D50

Some teams will value things differently.

High pressing teams, might value Opposition retained possession our I50 more than Ball in dispute D50.

Territory v Control (Richmond v Geelong 2020)

For around the ground clearances depends, way too much variation on where the stoppage is to determine value. A lost D50 clearance would hurt more than one on the wing etc. Could brute force it with data, doesn't seem right to me, feel like something is lost in the aggregate.

Quality I50 would be an even harder thing to create a measure for, depends on way too many things.

Last edited:
Hey catters

Just me or is your backline incredibly tall? Tom Stewart your shortest player!

Interesting approach as our small / mid forwards are handy. I know Henry is pretty mobile but still seems a tad on the tall side?

Looks like a relatively warm night and no rain, wish i could be there!
Check the interchange.

A small forward made all the difference when we finally got Sav off the ground last week though.

I want every GFC player to succeed, but Sav ain't no good.

He can't ruck, he can't mark, and he isn't Best 22.

A log in long grass is as likely to impact a game as he is.

glimpses of what there is to look forward to-- he can mark, can kick...

Must be scared of crowds because he hasn’t done it since people went back to the stands
rd 4, let's see what he does if he plays 4 quarters without a punch in the guts or a kick on the leg

As long as O’Conner doesn’t tag then the side is fine.

I said two years ago he will break down and he did.
The problem is I don’t see how he fits into the back flank. I would have dropped kolo.

So maybe we’ll just go ahead and break him again.

Although I’d pick close over miers (not that close was dropped) I think miers could adapt to the game style well.

Moc will play midfield as selwood is out and we have enough defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Droll
Point is, Sav can actually play; we just haven't seen a lot of it this year.

Sorry VD, he actually can't..... imo.

His timing, positioning, marking and game awareness are lacking.... imo

He is a player given games on nothing more than potential, rather than substance.

Don't mind the more defensive approach in the midfield tbh.

It allows Danger to be 'The man' which personally I believe suits him better (unless it's a final of course)

His crash and bash style isn't suitable for a midfield group with essentially zero defensive accountability, as he isn't bringing others into the game. With MOC in there and Joel out it might balance us up a little bit through the guts.

If we can break even around the ball and get some clean delivery to Jez and Hawk then we're a huge chance

Seen a lot of pumping up of Brisbane on here.. they aren't that good. It's an indictment on the state of football that they're among the favourites for the flag (Fwiw to any Brissy supporters snooping, I have every side barr Melbourne in that category, the standard of the top 4 clubs just isn't what it was in past years)

Cats by 12 in an arm wrestle

Sorry VD, he actually can't..... imo.

His timing, positioning, marking and game awareness are lacking.... imo

He is a player given games on nothing more than potential, rather than substance.

players do not lose ability, he can play

players do not lose ability, he can play

He just doesn't do it anywhere near often enough to suggest / prove it's an innate ability more than a flukey one off.

He is being given more leeway than the likes of other guys in the VFL without providing any more substance.

Droll
Point is, Sav can actually play; we just haven't seen a lot of it this year.

Or any other, but seriously, in a double blind test, he'd be near the bottom of the list for his contemporaries. 23 years old, 197 cm, 100 odd kgs, athletic should be a beast just isn't. Nick Larkey is the same age, played less games, kicked more than twice as many goals in a worse side. Mitch Lewis, same age 30% less games with 50% more goals.

Actually harder to find a list of contemporaries then I thought. Not many tall forwards go mid and late. Even less do anything. At some point the club will just move on

Blast from the past, we dumped Josh Walker before he was 23, he averaged a goal a game.

He just doesn't do it anywhere near often enough to suggest / prove it's an innate ability more than a flukey one off.

He is being given more leeway than the likes of other guys in the VFL without providing any more substance.
Fair enough. I, for one, do not mind his role in the team. His teammates love him, that I know for sure. Patience.

We owe Brisbane a bigger winning margin due to the non free kicks in our forward half the last time we played them at home. Forget the Blicavs throw, the non holding the man to Clark 20 out and another dropping the ball closer to goal than that should have seen us win by 13 points.

Game day!!!

GO CAtters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back