AFLW Rd 4 Geelong vs Carlton @ GMHBA, Sat 24th Feb, 15:45

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing your mob next week at the Moreton Bay Sports Complex.

Confident?

Yesterday's win would have restored a bit of faith I'm guessing ...
We were better last night but at the end of the day I'm just so frustrated that the AFL have basically gift wrapped the poacharoos a flag

Playing your mob next week at the Moreton Bay Sports Complex.

Confident?

Yesterday's win would have restored a bit of faith I'm guessing ...
Watching the games, Lions got raided (for want of a better word, though several come to mind) in last years' draft. Yesterdays win was well justified.

I don't expect us to beat a team that has played finals for the last 2 years.

Will be happy if we make a contest & learn from the experience, anything more is a bonus.

The Cats forwards got caught out too many times when the ball went forward with their forward line sucked up into defense. Players streaming forward often had no one to kick to and just had to kick forward and hope that they would be able to run onto the footy.

I thought that both Collingwood and Carlton seem to use the ball better through the middle, but Carlton messed up badly with poor goal shooting. Phebe McWilliams #23 actually leads and looks like a forward. I think that we will be better next year. Tayla Harris should/could have won the game for Carlton but luckily (for us) found the goal post instead of the goals on two occasions. That missed opportunity when she was about 20-25 meters clear running into goal only to hit the post proved very costly.

We will miss Nina Morrison as she has the ability to pick the ball up cleanly of the ground that other players have not seemed to master yet. The kid has pretty good skills and finds the footy.

There is one girl who plays in the backline and takes the game on. She is very attacking from defense. I don't know her name but the half back line is probably Geelong's strength. The forward line looks a little light on for marking skills.

Yes rabbi, agree that it was so annoying when we moved the ball forward + no one was at home to kick a goal. Happened at least three times. The AFL guys do it too!

Nina is a huge loss, but I think we were better this week. Players like Denby Taylor, Renee Garing, Rebecca Goring, Purcell + Blakeway had more involvement in the game. Still, as you say, they need to improve their ball snaffling skills. Did you also notice, when they couldn't take the ball cleanly, they'd kick it, without really looking where it was going. I think they will focus on some of their frailties + will continue to improve.

Are you talking about Meg McDonald, from our Defence? I think our Backline played well, you can see the similarities with the Boyz Backline.

Boyd took seven Marks, pretty good I think. But there were some other Marks, which should have been taken.

Who kicked the ball 40m to McWilliams, who then kicked a goal?

Watching the games, Lions got raided (for want of a better word, though several come to mind) in last years' draft. Yesterdays win was well justified.

I don't expect us to beat a team that has played finals for the last 2 years.

Will be happy if we make a contest & learn from the experience, anything more is a bonus.

Pretty much agree Shai; despite losing 4 quality players to the ol' Poacharoos (has a nice ring to it mikey127 !) they have a good core of women who have played 2 and a half competitive seasons.
We might struggle a bit on the road.

Yes rabbi, agree that it was so annoying when we moved the ball forward + no one was at home to kick a goal. Happened at least three times. The AFL guys do it too!

Nina is a huge loss, but I think we were better this week. Players like Denby Taylor, Renee Garing, Rebecca Goring, Purcell + Blakeway had more involvement in the game. Still, as you say, they need to improve their ball snaffling skills. Did you also notice, when they couldn't take the ball cleanly, they'd kick it, without really looking where it was going. I think they will focus on some of their frailties + will continue to improve.

Are you talking about Meg McDonald, from our Defence? I think our Backline played well, you can see the similarities with the Boyz Backline.

Boyd took seven Marks, pretty good I think. But there were some other Marks, which should have been taken.

Maddie Boyd hit up McWilliams with the very nice pass that led to our first goal ...

Apart from our forwards getting dragged up the ground and then struggling to get back into position, I also thought there were times (in the first half particularly) where our forwards were in good positions, but our mids failed to take the right option, usually choosing to kick long to the top of the square rather than hitting up a pretty clear forward.

Not sure CC as I was too cheap to lash out for a record. But I noticed a girl across half back in the Collingwood game and she really attacked the game. The same yesterday. I may get a record next game at KP or keep an eye on the TV and see who theses girls are. But I think that the half back line is the strength of the current Cats team.
Does she have short, curly hair, which she wears in pig tails?

McDonald-Meghan-No.11.png

reckon you might be talking about either Denby Taylor or Maddy McMahon, Rabbi

24 - McMahon-Madaleine.png
28 - Taylor-Denby.png

Heard (I think it was) Mel Hickey talking about delayed flights back from Adelaide last Sunday, she mentioned she felt a bit for the girls who had work on Monday morning. Puts things in perspective a bit.

Agree with you that there's already been a lot of improvement over the 3 seasons to date.

Good point. No.. Excellent point.

Agree with most of this Turbo; although I am probably a bit guilty of being on the 'super optimistic' side - then again I figure AFLW will come in for more than its share of criticism so I'm happy to leave that to others (particularly when its fair and constructive) and focus on what I enjoy about the game - also, it is a nice change for me as I tend to get way too frustrated and cynical about the men's product.

As you say, there will be a natural turnover and evolution from season to season; dud players with suspect fitness or subpar skills will be supplanted by up n coming players who have presumably been well-coached from a young age. We saw the beginning of that process last year when a few of the juniors were able to come in and have an immediate impact, and that trend has continued this year.

I reckon over the 3 seasons to date we've already started to see a few more dual-sided players - and I reckon the length and general kicking techniques have improved significantly in that time. Its that very development and progression that I really enjoy observing.

While I abhor some of the more splenetic rants I have heard and read relating to the women's game , Im probably guilty of being a little over the supplication for equity ... in a time gone past id probably would have been far less rubbed back and happy to leave a little varnish of my comments. I don't feel it does their comp much good to have so much media commentary that almost feels like and advert for their game.

Having said that... I do feel your earlier comment is so apt.. it may be aflw..but really we are probably watching something closer to traditional VFL pre expansion, probably a couple of decades before expansion. Less professional , less pay , less assistance etc means that we really are comparing products at different levels preparation as well as development. One can tell that in a lot of ways the comp is amateurish. I wonder would be the most professional womens team sports league in the world.. womens soccer OS?

I do agree that their skills are getting better but it will take time. Come back in 5 years and then when we look back at what the first year was like and I suspect there would be some comments about coming a long way etc. I look at the standouts at the moment who will in time be the prototype for young girls to watch and copy. I watch the bravery gobsmacked a lot of time , i almost dread the way the ball is attacked for fear of injury. Play like a girl... id say that would mean something far different than the tradition derisive comment.

Pretty much agree Shai; despite losing 4 quality players to the ol' Poacharoos (has a nice ring to it mikey127 !) they have a good core of women who have played 2 and a half competitive seasons.
We might struggle a bit on the road.

Maddie Boyd hit up McWilliams with the very nice pass that led to our first goal ...

Apart from our forwards getting dragged up the ground and then struggling to get back into position, I also thought there were times (in the first half particularly) where our forwards were in good positions, but our mids failed to take the right option, usually choosing to kick long to the top of the square rather than hitting up a pretty clear forward.

Totally agree with all you said CC. There were a couple of times when we had players clear + our Mids still kicked to the congested square. Kicking to the clear player would allow time for our Forwards to spread a bit wider.

Good point. No.. Excellent point.

While I abhor some of the more splenetic rants I have heard and read relating to the women's game , Im probably guilty of being a little over the supplication for equity ... in a time gone past id probably would have been far less rubbed back and happy to leave a little varnish of my comments. I don't feel it does their comp much good to have so much media commentary that almost feels like and advert for their game.

Having said that... I do feel your earlier comment is so apt.. it may be aflw..but really we are probably watching something closer to traditional VFL pre expansion, probably a couple of decades before expansion. Less professional , less pay , less assistance etc means that we really are comparing products at different levels preparation as well as development. One can tell that in a lot of ways the comp is amateurish. I wonder would be the most professional womens team sports league in the world.. womens soccer OS?

I do agree that their skills are getting better but it will take time. Come back in 5 years and then when we look back at what the first year was like and I suspect there would be some comments about coming a long way etc. I look at the standouts at the moment who will in time be the prototype for young girls to watch and copy. I watch the bravery gobsmacked a lot of time , i almost dread the way the ball is attacked for fear of injury. Play like a girl... id say that would mean something far different than the tradition derisive comment.

I think experience/decision-making under pressure is probably an even bigger issue than the actual skills, and that's something that will only improve through further exposure to semi-professional training and matches.

The attack on the contest is indeed ferocious; you see it on the Netball court too.

Dunno if you saw cats_09 's earlier post with statistical evidence as to the spike in female participation in the game TC; personally I think that this is where the AFL's investment might pay off sooner than expected - more and more young girls growing into young consumers with money to spend on the game in one way or another - get 'em young, like the Dollarmites thing ..
Cats09 also pointed out that the girls average only 13 contact hours at the club per week, which backs your point that the women currently have less opportunity to prepare and develop themselves.

Personally I don't expect nor particularly want the women's game to aspire to simply emulate the men - sure, give them every opportunity to make the most of their potential, but I'm happy for the AFLW to be something different.
I don't really expect their version of the game to completely mirror the AFL in terms of athleticism or execution, even over time.

I love the grass roots vibe; hopefully that aspect of the game is retained for as long as possible (while simultaneously becoming more professional; bit of a balancing act I acknowledge!).

Overall watching the women's game develop over the past couple of years has been a real breath of fresh air to me; I've grown jaded with the men's game - these days I almost completely ignore everything about it apart from the actual matches themselves - to the point where I'm happier accidentally missing the first bounce rather than run the risk of encountering the shrill pre-match hype.

Not sure what the most professional women's team sport in the world would be, good question - our women's soccer team is world class (unlike the blokes) but I dunno how professional they are given the weird business with their now-ex coach .. In Australia I'd maybe lean toward the Hockeyroos, who have a long and proud history of international success.

I think experience/decision-making under pressure is probably an even bigger issue than the actual skills, and that's something that will only improve through further exposure to semi-professional training and matches.

The attack on the contest is indeed ferocious; you see it on the Netball court too.

Dunno if you saw cats_09 's earlier post with statistical evidence as to the spike in female participation in the game TC; personally I think that this is where the AFL's investment might pay off sooner than expected - more and more young girls growing into young consumers with money to spend on the game in one way or another - get 'em young, like the Dollarmites thing ..
Cats09 also pointed out that the girls average only 13 contact hours at the club per week, which backs your point that the women currently have less opportunity to prepare and develop themselves.

Personally I don't expect nor particularly want the women's game to aspire to simply emulate the men - sure, give them every opportunity to make the most of their potential, but I'm happy for the AFLW to be something different.
I don't really expect their version of the game to completely mirror the AFL in terms of athleticism or execution, even over time.

I love the grass roots vibe; hopefully that aspect of the game is retained for as long as possible (while simultaneously becoming more professional; bit of a balancing act I acknowledge!).

Overall watching the women's game develop over the past couple of years has been a real breath of fresh air to me; I've grown jaded with the men's game - these days I almost completely ignore everything about it apart from the actual matches themselves - to the point where I'm happier accidentally missing the first bounce rather than run the risk of encountering the shrill pre-match hype.

Not sure what the most professional women's team sport in the world would be, good question - our women's soccer team is world class (unlike the blokes) but I dunno how professional they are given the weird business with their now-ex coach .. In Australia I'd maybe lean toward the Hockeyroos, who have a long and proud history of international success.
I think the most professional women's team sport would be WNBA? Admittedly they still only have a salary cap of ~700k USD.

There are of course the tennis players or Olympic athletes on a whole different level.

I think the most professional women's team sport would be WNBA? Admittedly they still only have a salary cap of ~700k USD.

There are of course the tennis players or Olympic athletes on a whole different level.

I thought perhaps the WNBA; amazing that their salary cap is less than a half-decent AFL players yearly salary though ..

As you say; tennis players, golfers etc on a different level ...

I know historically that the WNBA salary has been very poor with very minimal top players earning a 6 digit yearly salary - that's why you see women basketballers go to somewhere like China. The best players can go to China for a 3 month contract and earn 7 digits which could take them years to match in terms of wages back in the USA.

The good leagues in Europe can also pay more than the WNBA.

I looked for the article late last year but couldn't find it and it related to the salary is USA female soccer players vs their male counterparts (I believe this was at a national level). The article is maybe 18 months old now, but at the time the women's national team we bringing in the bulk of they money to soccer in the USA (they are clearly the more successful team), but it was the men who were earning a living wage. The men were backing up the women to earn more based they were the more successful team and bringing in the more money - can't remember what happened with the fight unfortunately, but it was good to see two sides united to make for better conditions for all players

Did anyone seriously think AFLW was going to hit the ground with a perfect replica of the top flight men's comp?
Even when the girls get up to speed with the skills and tactics, it is going to be a completely different spectacle.
The game on Saturday was gripping.
The Cats' situation at the moment is very reflective of the competition as a whole.
Young, enthusiastic, inexperienced, flashes of brilliance, and a truckload of heart.
If that isn't a great start to a competitive sport I don't know what is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know historically that the WNBA salary has been very poor with very minimal top players earning a 6 digit yearly salary - that's why you see women basketballers go to somewhere like China. The best players can go to China for a 3 month contract and earn 7 digits which could take them years to match in terms of wages back in the USA.

The good leagues in Europe can also pay more than the WNBA.

I looked for the article late last year but couldn't find it and it related to the salary is USA female soccer players vs their male counterparts (I believe this was at a national level). The article is maybe 18 months old now, but at the time the women's national team we bringing in the bulk of they money to soccer in the USA (they are clearly the more successful team), but it was the men who were earning a living wage. The men were backing up the women to earn more based they were the more successful team and bringing in the more money - can't remember what happened with the fight unfortunately, but it was good to see two sides united to make for better conditions for all players

Would be nice to see the Socceroos do something similar, Matildas the far more successful team presently ..

Would be nice to see the Socceroos do something similar, Matildas the far more successful team presently ..
Public interest will rule what happens from here.
A few very short years ago, women's soccer was treated as a joke.
Cricket is the same.
The trajectory has changed on the back of some very talented women who take no prisoners.
All hail Sam Kerr and Ellyse Perry!

Public interest will rule what happens from here.
A few very short years ago, women's soccer was treated as a joke.
Cricket is the same.
The trajectory has changed on the back of some very talented women who take no prisoners.
All hail Sam Kerr and Ellyse Perry!

Public interest is something that can grow ..but it will take time. Can the tail wag the dog? Does the afl have to throw more money at the girls to try to generate a pool of talent. On product one could hardly look at increasing the payscale (imo) yet maybe they have to think a bit long term and try elevate the standard by getting the best talent available by paying above tote.

Public interest is something that can grow ..but it will take time. Can the tail wag the dog? Does the afl have to throw more money at the girls to try to generate a pool of talent. On product one could hardly look at increasing the payscale (imo) yet maybe they have to think a bit long term and try elevate the standard by getting the best talent available by paying above tote.
The girls have demanded it, Turbo.
They would lynch the AFL if they backed down now!

The girls have demanded it, Turbo.
They would lynch the AFL if they backed down now!

Demanded what ...More money? Id find that rather distasteful. I read this in sun this morn by Rita P..

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/o...t/news-story/dd6bffc14670f9e47cbaa2b6106712ef

It’s hard to overstate the profound stupidity of demanding an end to the “gender wage gap” in professional sport.
Expecting equal pay for equal effort in sport is among the most asinine bulldust you’ll see in 2019, and it’s only February.

But that is precisely what the Male Champions of Change Pathway to Pay Equality report, backed by the reliably woke heads of major sporting codes — including the AFL, NRL and FFA — has recommended.

The report got the usual feminists excited with talk of AFLW players earning the same salaries as AFL stars, but anybody who has any interest in sport, business or reality would’ve treated the blueprint with the disdain it so richly deserved.

In the real world the income of an athlete, male or female, corresponds to their marketability.

And, that marketability is linked directly to the viewing and purchasing habits of consumers, including women.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/o...t/news-story/dd6bffc14670f9e47cbaa2b6106712ef

Apparently the ratings to watch the aflw this year are down on Ch7. The girls best be very careful about demanding certain things as I thing the is a lot of nudge nudge wink wink about the sustainability of the aflw. imo. Its being sustained by afl money. On that basis extra money is not something that should be front of mind from the girls side of the line.. Yet the afl heads may have to increase the money I could understand why they might ..they best be careful too as next year we are up to... 14 teams? Thats a very big hole that we are throwing money IF they cant maintain interest.

Demanded what ...More money? Id find that rather distasteful. I read this in sun this morn by Rita P..

It’s hard to overstate the profound stupidity of demanding an end to the “gender wage gap” in professional sport.
Expecting equal pay for equal effort in sport is among the most asinine bulldust you’ll see in 2019, and it’s only February.

But that is precisely what the Male Champions of Change Pathway to Pay Equality report, backed by the reliably woke heads of major sporting codes — including the AFL, NRL and FFA — has recommended.

The report got the usual feminists excited with talk of AFLW players earning the same salaries as AFL stars, but anybody who has any interest in sport, business or reality would’ve treated the blueprint with the disdain it so richly deserved.

In the real world the income of an athlete, male or female, corresponds to their marketability.

And, that marketability is linked directly to the viewing and purchasing habits of consumers, including women.

Apparently the ratings to watch the aflw this year are down on Ch7. The girls best be very careful about demanding certain things as I thing the is a lot of nudge nudge wink wink about the sustainability of the aflw. imo. Its being sustained by afl money. On that basis extra money is not something that should be front of mind from the girls side of the line.. Yet the afl heads may have to increase the money I could understand why they might ..they best be careful too as next year we are up to... 14 teams? Thats a very big hole that we are throwing money IF they cant maintain interest.
Did you purposely misconstrue what I said?
I didn't mention a thing about money.
All they have been demanding is the chance to play the game they love at the highest level possible.

Did you purposely misconstrue what I said?
I didn't mention a thing about money.
All they have been demanding is the chance to play the game they love at the highest level possible.

Certainly no trying be any more than interested in the future of the comp. I did post about dollars dog and tail etc ..and you quoted it.. so maybe i got a bit crossed up.

The demand to play seems to be strong for sure.. especially if thise numbers show young girls are getting into the game. My post was about the top end and attracting talent.. and do the AFL admin decide to increase the amount of money paid to some or all of the players to encourage more talent to the comp.... but id hate to think that ..so early in the setup that we are getting strong demands for an increase in remuneration. The article i posted a link to gives me pause that we may soon see that.

Certainly no trying be any more than interested in the future of the comp. I did post about dollars dog and tail etc ..and you quoted it.. so maybe i got a bit crossed up.

The demand to play seems to be strong for sure.. especially if thise numbers show young girls are getting into the game. My post was about the top end and attracting talent.. and do the AFL admin decide to increase the amount of money paid to some or all of the players to encourage more talent to the comp.... but id hate to think that ..so early in the setup that we are getting strong demands for an increase in remuneration. The armostticle i posted a link to gives me pause that we may soon see that.
It's not likely to happen for quite a while, and I expect they know that.
But at the very least, the girls should be able to play and train without having to dig into their own pockets.
It's chicken and egg: you can't get better unless you train/play full time, but you can't train/play full time while you're working a 9 to 5 job to pay the bills.
Anyway, "market forces" and all of that.
At the moment the Matildas are almost as marketable as the Socceroos.

AFLWCA Votes

GEELONG v CARLTON
8 Maddy McMahon (GEEL)
8 Kerryn Harrington (CARL)
5 Richelle Cranston (GEEL)
4 Brianna Davey (CARL)
2 Madeline Keryk (GEEL)
2 Meghan McDonald (GEEL)
1 Denby Taylor (GEEL)

hello Kitty

I don't recall who. But if it was a deliberate set up then it was a great kick and an equally good lead and mark by young Phebe McWilliams. She does look like at leading forward to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back