Preview Rd 4. Lions vs. SUNS @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

32yoa
2 years out of the game
No-one's that good that they can come back to the form you had as a superstar 29yo
The difference with Gaz is I think he can re-invent himself
If we can get our A grade midfield out on the ground at one time he will spend a lot more time forward
Unfortunately he's had to come back in and be an in and under hard ball player

Saw a couple of tweets during the warm up that Ablett winced and grabbed at his hamstring at one point. Might have some explanatory value.

Feels like a couple of posters here might be robbing us of a little credit for the win. 6 day turnaround and a travel back from Geelong, lost our best player at half time, won most of the key indicators (including contested footy which we have been historically poor at), generated way more scoring shots. Clearly We aren't world beaters but it felt like a pleasing step forward for our group. No doubt there will be some backward steps to come as we keep developing though.

Good luck against Norf.

Last edited:

Yeah he's conquered better taggers/nigglers than Robinson before. Definitely not 100% and also seems to have lost a yard with age.
People don't give Robinson enough credit for how good he actually is. He isn't the slack Carlton player he was a few years ago. He's easily one of the best mids at the Lions and he's critically underrated. Gaz wasn't 100%, but even an 80% Gaz has been able to outsmart other taggers and mids focused on him. Robinson was extremely effective and is easily one of the best pickups the Lions have made in the past decade.

People don't give Robinson enough credit for how good he actually is. He isn't the slack Carlton player he was a few years ago. He's easily one of the best mids at the Lions and he's critically underrated. Gaz wasn't 100%, but even an 80% Gaz has been able to outsmart other taggers and mids focused on him. Robinson was extremely effective and is easily one of the best pickups the Lions have made in the past decade.

I must have been one of the only people in the footy world that rated Robinson at Carlton

I also think people aren't giving Brisbane the credit they deserve. Our boys clearly came out expecting the win against a lesser opponent. Except that lesser opponent antagonised us the entire game, played Hawks-style unsociable footy, and were physically for four quarters.

It was pretty clear that the Lions used the age-old technique of out-psyching their opponent early in the game. Come out hard physically and back it up with mouthy banter and on-field bullying. It's something we should have done, but instead, came out like overprivileged kids expecting to be spoon fed another win.

We deserved the loss and the Lions deserved the win. We were outsmarted and outplayed at every moment of the game and we had players who simply couldn't keep up.

Yes, there were questionable umpiring decisions, but we were obviously the lesser team for all four quarters. The only consistent players we had was Lynch and Malceski. Brisbane were impressive all around the field.

The only thing we can take from this is that we aren't invincible and the media talking us up as finals contenders means nothing if we can't perform well at such simple tasks - clearances, contested ball, inside 50s, and rebounding defence, etc.

Hypothetically, if we lose May, are still without Thompson, and potentially without McKenzie, our tall stocks are sparse. Leslie and Schade can come in, but our tall defence will be well and truly underpowered. In saying that, West Coast came back from a huge injury plague in their defensive stocks last year and made the grand final.

Leslie and Schade could come in and provide the height while our smalls in Harbrow, Lemmens, and Saad in combination with our mediums in McKenzie, KK, and Malceski (and Cameron) can get the ball out of our own 50 pretty effectively.

Don't rule us out yet, but I hope this loss is enough to bring our players back down to earth.

I must have been one of the only people in the footy world that rated Robinson at Carlton
I've always loved Robinson. I was devo that we didn't get him when he was delisted, but it made sense given our cultural issues at the time. He's turned himself around and has had no behavioural issues at Brisbane as he had in Carlton.

I thought he was a good player at Carlton - a little bit inconsistent and definitely poorly behaved - but he's a great player at Brisbane.

How much credit are we meant to give Brisbane on our board? We're not even allowed to suck each others dicks yet.
They wanted it more. Simple.
They outplayed us by 2 goals on their home patch. Good on them. They played well. We were poor except for a few players. Yes Robinson is a good player (underrated by many) and played well on Gaz but this is the Gold Coast board and I'm more concerned about Gaz and co, Maysie's upcoming holiday, and our reserve grade side's performance. If I want to read/write about praising Brisbane I'll visit their board. And I ain't even mad ;)

How much credit are we meant to give Brisbane on our board? We're not even allowed to suck each others dicks yet.
They wanted it more. Simple.
They outplayed us by 2 goals on their home patch. Good on them. They played well. We were poor except for a few players. Yes Robinson is a good player (underrated by many) and played well on Gaz but this is the Gold Coast board and I'm more concerned about Gaz and co, Maysie's upcoming holiday, and our reserve grade side's performance. If I want to read/write about praising Brisbane I'll visit their board. And I ain't even mad ;)

No obligation at all, I was merely providing a counterpoint to some statements in the thread.

Sorry to intrude, but that isn't remotely accurate is it?
The bump isn't outlawed. And bumping the head has always been illegal.
Geez skoob lighten up old man. Figure of speech bro. Burn one down, chill out and Enjoy your win the replay's up. And how many Lions does Maysie have to knock the * out before the media will agree that it's really on when these two teams play? That was a tough hard game, plenty of niggle - good for the rivalry. Get a bit of publicity for the code up here.

I feel we got too carried away with the 3-0 vs 0-3. Suns just looked complacent and that they would get the win regardless. Thompson was missed and now May will be missed even more against Petrie, Waite and Brown next week. If Hall and Ablett fire up next week we are still very capable of the win. I feel this loss to the lions may cost us finals this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude, but that isn't remotely accurate is it?
The bump isn't outlawed. And bumping the head has always been illegal.
Maybe a free kick, but never always reportable like today. Giansiracusa flattened Kosi and that was the beginning.

Also a mention to the grub who tried to punch hall but F***ed himself up. served him right. But that gets no mention either because apparently the suns are the grubs and lions are clean
I actually had a good laugh at that one. Worst attempt at a sheppard ever. Considering Hall fell to the ground in obvious pain I'd say Gardiner got what he deserved. I do like Gardiner as a player though.

Also a mention to the grub who tried to punch hall but F***ed himself up. served him right. But that gets no mention either because apparently the suns are the grubs and lions are clean

Darcy Gardiner. He plays right on the line all day and that wasn't a good look. Hopefully learns from it.

Darcy Gardiner. He plays right on the line all day and that wasn't a good look. Hopefully learns from it.

he clearly played well, jack martin had no influence. hope for his sake he doesnt do it again, gibbo from the hawks has a bit of a bad rep for it, wouldn't be good for a young player to be known for that

Not sure how that is relevant. You seemed to be implying that Lions supporters were hypocritically silent about a poor act by Merrett. Clearly that is not the case.
It is relevant and was clearly my point. We had a few sooks running onto our board in tears and carrying on like pork chops after the bump. These same few weren't seen 2 years earlier on ouf board. So clearly you don't know what I'm thinking.

Disappointing, really really poor.

One of those games you just toss away and say it didn't work. Boys came in thinking they would walk it in and it blew up in their face. No defensive pressure in the midfield and looked like we would concede every time it came into the defensive 50.

Hopefully sort some stuff out.

Need to have a real honest look at each other.

Not going to hang out the guys over a single game, but would want to see an improvement in the upcoming weeks.

Russell and Grant surely come in on form.

May will go for about 4 weeks for a really stupid decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back