Preview Rd 4. Lions vs. SUNS @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

I know its all superfluous...but IF we got over the line last night, guess where we'd be on the ladder tonight!! (Unworthy as it may be, but we wouldn't be saying that if we won! - cracks painted over scenario) WHAT A MISSED OPPORTUNITY! This is a very costly loss in more ways than one! (Captain Obvious, i know)

I know its all superfluous...but IF we got over the line last night, guess where we'd be on the ladder tonight!! (Unworthy as it may be, but we wouldn't be saying that if we won! - cracks painted over scenario) WHAT A MISSED OPPORTUNITY! This is a very costly loss in more ways than one! (Captain Obvious, i know)
I think this is the loss we needed to have... it doesn't matter who it is against and it doesn't matter where on the ladder you are in round 4..
Lets face it if you don't crack in at AFL level, you don't win... The lions should have won by 40 points and they finished with only 20 blokes...
Its not like we were running around with our thumbs up our asses blatantly waiting for someone else to win it for us but Brisbane were playing like their lives depended on the result and we couldnt match them, didn't even get close to matching them...
We have a problem in the Ruck, Nicholls needs a spell... everything else is fixable providing we play with intensity.

I think this is the loss we needed to have... it doesn't matter who it is against and it doesn't matter where on the ladder you are in round 4..
Lets face it if you don't crack in at AFL level, you don't win... The lions should have won by 40 points and they finished with only 20 blokes...
Its not like we were running around with our thumbs up our asses blatantly waiting for someone else to win it for us but Brisbane were playing like their lives depended on the result and we couldnt match them, didn't even get close to matching them...
We have a problem in the Ruck, Nicholls needs a spell... everything else is fixable providing we play with intensity.

Would much rather have lost last night with Maysie being a starter next week

Agree completely
Q Clash is always going to be "one of those derby games" where position on the ladder won't necessarily reflect the outcome
Not having our best defensive structure in place this week for what I think is one the best 3 forward set ups going around will be painful

People don't give Robinson enough credit for how good he actually is. He isn't the slack Carlton player he was a few years ago. He's easily one of the best mids at the Lions and he's critically underrated. Gaz wasn't 100%, but even an 80% Gaz has been able to outsmart other taggers and mids focused on him. Robinson was extremely effective and is easily one of the best pickups the Lions have made in the past decade.
and we could have had Robinson for a bargain

That's life isn't it. I would much rather be playing next week with O'Meara, Swallow, Thompson and Maysie.
The point is, whoever puts on that Suns Jersey has to play like their life depends on it, 100% of the time, just like the Lions did. We can learn a lot from their performance on Saturday night (as much as I hate to admit it)

Saw a couple of tweets during the warm up that Ablett winced and grabbed at his hamstring at one point. Might have some explanatory value.

Feels like a couple of posters here might be robbing us of a little credit for the win. 6 day turnaround and a travel back from Geelong, lost our best player at half time, won most of the key indicators (including contested footy which we have been historically poor at), generated way more scoring shots. Clearly We aren't world beaters but it felt like a pleasing step forward for our group. No doubt there will be some backward steps to come as we keep developing though.

Good luck against Norf.
A couple maybe gut overall I think our board has been very mature in recognising that Brisbane were the better team on the night and that Mays hit is unacceptable.

Lynch is such a talented and obviously hard working fellow. I was sitting in a really good vantage point to see his first goal from the left hand side of the 50. Such a beautiful kick. A lot of lions supporters myself included clapped it. He'll be fun to watch.

While I'm upset at the loss, not just because we are the better team but it's Brisbane! But I absolutely loved this game and agree with the many of you.... The QClash is a big thing now. Throw ladder position and records out.... These two will play. Round 16 see you again Brisbane.

Can't wait for the fixture for next season to be released.... I'm coming to Queensland in 2017 for a QClash!!!!

I endured the pain last night and rematches and one thing I noticed standing out is Gary and Aaron Hall together at stoppages didn't seem to work overly well.

Both tend to float away from the stoppage and we got burnt a few times. This led to me watching some clearances in other games. I think Longergans role is set as the insider but Gary needs to run with a little more in some situations and let Hall play the pure attacking role Gaz has played in past seasons.

Also Jack Martins last 3-4 minutes at the stoppages must please Rocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm allowed to sleep sometimes

Anyway, the tool got a double red card and a day off.

Should not be seeing him for a while

Thanks for the reports everyone, but remember, don't feed the trolls

It's funny. Most Lions fans seemed to appreciate that their very best only being 13 points better than our very worst was not something to be proud of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back