Review Rd 4: Port vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the enthusiasm feels down but with a couple of big wins it could be rocking again. And we have been doing the same pre-match routine for years now. The word routine has a few meanings ;)

But reports of its death are greatly exaggerated ;)

Its definitely down, big loss to WCE and it'll be really poor V north. Just what we want on a Friday night game. Crap crowd and no one singing it on prime night is't exactly what we want.... embarrassing.

Last two years he has been right up there. Time to pull his finger out and get back to that form.

Talia, McGovern, Hurley, Rance, Davis are all far superior players.

Jonas is on the second rung with the likes of Barass, May and Thompson.

Jonas said Duursma was distraught after missing the goal and believed he cost us the game. Poor young fella.

Jonas should have put his arms around him and said "Nah, mate, my 10 clangers cost us the game."

I’d like to add like a broken record that the list has no balance for midfield types. Of all the midfielders named on Saturday Boak is probably the most capable of playing the link role but he’s shown over a large sample it’s not his best position. I’d hope we are looking at the much maligned Brandon Ellis as a RFA.
We need a Peter Burgoyne type in the midfield. A few of them would be good.

Jonas said Duursma was distraught after missing the goal and believed he cost us the game. Poor young fella.

It's good that he feels bad because he did cost us the game. No use pussyfooting around it or excusing him because of his age. Use the pain to improve and do better next time.

It's good that he feels bad because he did cost us the game. No use pussyfooting around it or excusing him because of his age. Use the pain to improve and do better next time.
If your rationale is he had the last easyish kick at goal for us with 5 or so minutes still left and he missed then yeah he cost us the game.

Of course he feels bad. I don't know why this would come as a surprise.

If your rationale is he had the last easyish kick at goal for us with 5 or so minutes still left and he missed then yeah he cost us the game.

Houston put us in front with 4ish minutes on the clock. It was 2ish minutes when Duursma missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok 2ish minutes from kid who should have nailed it in his 4th game after busting his a*** for the previous 100ish minutes.

Yeah. Even the greats have missed when they shouldn’t have in the clutch.

But in terms of scouting reports I’ve read, I’m not sure I can abide us recruiting another one of ‘those’ and watching set shots through my fingers for the next 10 years.

If the refrain goes that ‘Kenny can’t kick it for’em’, why recruit even more of’em?

Well Tommy Jonas I've just watched the replay for the first time and your performance in particular was horrible.
Before you TJ huggers come at me have a really close look at his game and you'll be shocked at how bad it was.
Mind you he had a few mates in Motlop and Westhoff while Ollie wasn't all that great either.
So both our captains turn in very average games but let's not forget Hinkley.
At no stage in the telecast did I see him doing anything but watching. When was the last time he coached from the bench?
Grimes was allowed to do as he pleased down back and it killed us.
Speaking of killing us some crucial umpiring decisions against us were shocking
and I don't mean the double goals to Lynch as pivotal as that was.

"Co-captains will give us our best chance to win"....... yeah right Ken whatever you say.
Not only did many of our core senior players let us down but we were out coached which is a polite way of saying
Ken wasn't up to it..... again.
Still after 7yrs maybe we need to be patient.

Last edited:
Of course he feels bad. I don't know why this would come as a surprise.
then our other players should feel bad too.
Like Graham Cornes said, why didn’t any of them or the leaders, go over and settle him down, guide him where to aim at with such a big responsibility on the young fella’s shoulders?

Like Graham Cornes said, why didn’t any of them or the leaders, go over and settle him down, guide him where to aim at with such a big responsibility on the young fella’s shoulders?
Because none of them know how to win close games. They wander around waiting for the inevitable siren and sub 6 point loss. Entrenched in their DNA. What would Ollie say, "hey bro, just whip around the corner and try a snap from 20m out"

Has Sam Powell- Pepper started on the bench in all of our games this year? Sam has averaged over 20 disposals per game in the first three games but was quieter last Saturday when I noticed that Hinkley had him on the bench for a good part of the first quarter.

As I see it Sam's form has been better than that of Ollie Wines and maybe Sam should be starting on the park?

Some of us will remember that in Tasmania many moons ago a young Shaun Burgoyne had a match winning shot on goal in the dying seconds against St Kilda. He missed what he would swallow these days and it was noted at the time that not one Port player went up to him and supported him. Seems that not much has changed.

Wines, Gray, Hoff and Boak, the experts in nailing set shots under pressure.

“Listen to me kid”

The last quarter has to go down as Ports worst tactical quarter i can recall. No-one held their nerve except for Houston ... however on the other hand the playing of 4 juniors was always going to unravel sooner or later. Richmond were missing 4x AA players, in comparison we were missing 4x very good players from 2018 - Wingard, Polec, Dixon and Watts. The game was always going to be close. The media saying that Richmond's win was their best in years was a joke. The media don't know Port like we do.

er i am pretty sure there were many many many moments that 18 players "lost the game".

Don't know that one kick that neither captain could nail was the clincher. Don't know that we destroy a kid's self confidence when his senior teammates have been consistently "losing the game" for us for awhile now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back