Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Who cares about the financial burden on the club - Hinkley has to go NOW!!!
Already happening,membership down 5k and attendances hanging by a thread?
Just as well Marshall wasn't there to spoil/crowd Grimes' moment in the sun.
Howard was drafted as a CHF btw kicked 8 goals in a game once for our Magpies
8pts dropped in the last fortnight, 8pts that we might/will look back on at season's end and go..... mmmmm.
Onya Ken, glad you got to give us your extension and quite literally **** us.

Jonas said Duursma was distraught after missing the goal and believed he cost us the game. Poor young fella.

I'm not exactly president of the Xavier Duursma fan club, but he absolutely shouldn't feel like he cost us the game. We should've been 10 goals up at that point. The fact that it fell on a teenager to take a contested mark and attempt to convert a set shot to get us back in front with a couple of minutes to go is an indictment on his coach and his more senior teammates.

Plus I'm entirely confident that even if he had kicked the goal, we would've stuffed it up and let Richmond get another one anyway.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Every time I read about our woeful goal kicking, I can't help but feel that Jay Schulz papered over some cracks.

How ****ing lucky was Ken to have him in the forward line in 13-14?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I'm not exactly president of the Xavier Duursma fan club, but he absolutely shouldn't feel like he cost us the game. We should've been 10 goals up at that point. The fact that it fell on a teenager to take a contested mark and attempt to convert a set shot to get us back in front with a couple of minutes to go is an indictment on his coach and his more senior teammates.

Plus I'm entirely confident that even if he had kicked the goal, we would've stuffed it up and let Richmond get another one anyway.

Xavier missed the shot but only because he got himself in the position to mark the ball at all, which puts him ahead of the most of our players that couldn't get near it in the F50.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Already happening,membership down 5k and attendances hanging by a thread?
Just as well Marshall wasn't there to spoil/crowd Grimes' moment in the sun.
Howard was drafted as a CHF btw kicked 8 goals in a game once for our Magpies
8pts dropped in the last fortnight, 8pts that we might/will look back on at season's end and go..... mmmmm.
Onya Ken, glad you got to give us your extension and quite literally **** us.
It's funny how you remember little moments in games that trigger something in you. There was a loose ball on Sat where Howard picked up and burnt off a smaller opponent on the Eastern side of the centre square. It gave me flashbacks to that goal he kicked a couple of years ago when he burst through half forward and slotted the goal. He's a pretty good mark and he has speed as well. I'd give it serious thought as a coach to have him and Marshall up forward. And we wouldn't lose anything regarding putting pressure on the ground with those two up there. Trying to make him a defender seems like it puts him in too much of a negative mindset. He spoils when he should mark (although that changed a bit on Sat) and he's not always a reliable kick coming out of defence. I'd be excited to see what he could do.

er i am pretty sure there were many many many moments that 18 players "lost the game".

Don't know that one kick that neither captain could nail was the clincher. Don't know that we destroy a kid's self confidence when his senior teammates have been consistently "losing the game" for us for awhile now.

Do people realise that this is the exact sort of loser mentality that has infected the club and caused us to become mediocre also rans?

Duursma was selected to play for Port Adelaide. There's an expectation that comes with that. It doesn't matter how many games he's played. A first year player is eligible to have a shot after the siren to win a grand final - they need to be able to handle that pressure.

My comment is that it's good that he's hurting and it's good that he realises his poor kick played a big part in us losing the game. Improve and do better next time.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well Tommy Jonas I've just watched the replay for the first time and your performance in particular was horrible.
Before you TJ huggers come at me have a really close look at his game and you'll be shocked at how bad it was.
Mind you he had a few mates in Motlop and Westhoff while Ollie wasn't all that great either.
So both our captains turn in very average games but let's not forget Hinkley.
At no stage in the telecast did I see him doing anything but watching. When was the last time he coached from the bench?
Grimes was allowed to do as he pleased down back and it killed us.
Speaking of killing us some crucial umpiring decisions against us were shocking
and I don't mean the double goals to Lynch as pivotal as that was.

"Co-captains will give us our best chance to win"....... yeah right Ken whatever you say.
Not only did many of our core senior players let us down but we were out coached which is a polite way of saying
Ken wasn't up to it..... again.
Still after 7yrs maybe we need to be patient.
I still think that DBJ's game was his worst for the club. He has started the year off horribly & IMO was much worse than TJ (who wasnt good at all).

Two close losses. Considering the outs, errors, and poor selections, we are not too far off the mark IMO ... we will find our true position in the comp this week against WCE

Just listened to Bassett's presser from yesterday. Apparently they practice close finishes all of the time, nearly every training session. That's got to be one of the saddest things I've heard. :$
They did it during the intra-club match too. Although it lasted 1 minute and consisted of chip kicks round the back.

I still think that DBJ's game was his worst for the club. He has started the year off horribly & IMO was much worse than TJ (who wasnt good at all).

Two close losses. Considering the outs, errors, and poor selections, we are not too far off the mark IMO ... we will find our true position in the comp this week against WCE
That's what worries me :(

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe Duursma had tired legs because he works harder than every single other bloke out there.
Duursma & Drew work very hard..
I have watched the replay, and have no problems with their work rate, especially having only played 4 games.
I am worried about some of our senior players not working as hard.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some of us will remember that in Tasmania many moons ago a young Shaun Burgoyne had a match winning shot on goal in the dying seconds against St Kilda. He missed what he would swallow these days and it was noted at the time that not one Port player went up to him and supported him. Seems that not much has changed.

I thought it was the older Motlop who missed a set shot after the siren against the aints in Tassie that would have won us the game, not Shaun Burgoyne.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

That's exactly what happened. Kicks the goal, we still lose by a point - we all know what would have happened from the resulting centre bounce. There's plenty in line ahead of a teenage 4-gamer if we're looking for what cost us the game. I hope one of our co-vice-deputy-pseudo-captains is getting around him.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just listened to Bassett's presser from yesterday. Apparently they practice close finishes all of the time, nearly every training session. That's got to be one of the saddest things I've heard. :$
It doesn't matter how many times they practise it. It's mental with this group. You can make players run as hard as a game in training, tackle as hard, bump as hard, but you can never replicate the mental pressure in training. We are riddled with senior players who panic in these situations, looking to quickly move the ball onto someone else, so if (when) it *s up it wasn't them left holding the parcel.

Port_Girl_92

Senior List
Mar 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Should've logged into your Crow account first, love.
View attachment 655271

What's this about.

ea I'm not a fan of Wines at all. even pre shoulder injury. Hid efficiency is deplorable. He's slow. His decision making worse. His iconic move is a no-look snap around the corner usually to the oppo. What I'd give to have a Bontempelli, or Patrick Cripps in lieu of Wines.

Whoever think he is elite is well misinformed.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
What's this about.

ea I'm not a fan of Wines at all. even pre shoulder injury. Hid efficiency is deplorable. He's slow. His decision making worse. His iconic move is a no-look snap around the corner usually to the oppo. What I'd give to have a Bontempelli, or Patrick Cripps in lieu of Wines.

Oh gawd, Lindy has found Big footy

klem22

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2008
mt gambier
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What's this about.

I dont think you are far of the mark here. Wines has a lot to prove imo to establish any real worth to the PAFC. He certainly has not done this yet and like any footballer failure is staring him in the face if he does not do something about it.

PAFC04

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anything in Black'n'White
How many ******* games is that now, at Adelaide Oval, where in a close game, all we ******* do in the last quarter is bomb it blindly to the forward line, dominate the inside 50's, don't take marks, our little blokes have no ******* idea how to get front and centre, and if they do, they want to handball rather than kick on goal, and then the oppo get the ball down the other end and get easy goals out the back because we have to press up too bloody far up the ground, and **** up, or our defenders are too slow, or too dumb, and get caught out and they kick easy goals.

I put it at, at least 23 games at AO since 2014.
The day we win as backable favourites constantly will be the year we will win the premiership...

I did post on the Richmond forum that we would by lose by 5 points..... typical, i hate it when my instincts tells me so... nothing from our team has me changing my instincts.

But when we have nothing to lose we win!! Good Friday is a day we having to lose and we are not favourites, therefore we should win.... but not this time.

Players who should still be picked won’t be, ala, Rozee, Betters and Bonner.

You can’t blame the coach for stupid turnovers.... that’s what cost the game... not structure nor selections.... fix the turnovers and improve our possession of the football will go along way to winning against the 🦅.

Some really bad posts on here bagging Ken... not called for I think. I still back Ken, it’s the players I don’t have faith in executing what Ken wants....

That’s my rant...

Back