Review Rd 4: Port vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to Bassett's presser from yesterday. Apparently they practice close finishes all of the time, nearly every training session. That's got to be one of the saddest things I've heard. :$
I wonder if we always lose in practise as well.

I think we lose close games because our main strength is our team defensive set up and the fact we can't kick.

Late in close games the mids are tired and might not get to the right position defensively. They may also panic thinking they have to do something offensively and get into the wrong position, leaving exploitable gaps in the zones.

As we know, our defence is pretty poor once the protection up the field falls apart (at any point not just late)

I think we lose close games because our main strength is our team defensive set up and the fact we can't kick.

Late in close games the mids are tired and might not get to the right position defensively. They may also panic thinking they have to do something offensively and get into the wrong position, leaving exploitable gaps in the zones.

As we know, our defence is pretty poor once the protection up the field falls apart (at any point not just late)

I think they become close games because we can't kick.
A big reason for continually losing close games is the lack of on field leadership, panic sets in and we don't have a Hodge, Selwood or a Voss to set the example.

One thing that struck me . After Burtons Clanger giving away an extra goal . He attacked the next play like a demon , tackled a Richmond player just about rag dolled him and got the free for holding the ball . I said to my mate , he owes us a goal now . He got that a little later when he drifted down further forward .
Also Rozee . One stage he shot out a loose handball that got sniffled up by a Richmond player , next play he through himself in and won a crucial ball and pumped it forward ( not that there was anyone obvious to kick to . )
Good signs but slightly baffling why they couldn’t attack every contest like that . I know they , especially Rozee are very young hopefully they can go up to that level . They’ve got the talent

One thing that struck me . After Burtons Clanger giving away an extra goal . He attacked the next play like a demon , tackled a Richmond player just about rag dolled him and got the free for holding the ball . I said to my mate , he owes us a goal now . He got that a little later when he drifted down further forward .
Also Rozee . One stage he shot out a loose handball that got sniffled up by a Richmond player , next play he through himself in and won a crucial ball and pumped it forward ( not that there was anyone obvious to kick to . )
Good signs but slightly baffling why they couldn’t attack every contest like that . I know they , especially Rozee are very young hopefully they can go up to that level . They’ve got the talent
What is more baffling is why some of our experienced players can’t

What is more baffling is why some of our experienced players can’t
True at the moment R.Gray, Motlop, Ryder all look worse for wear and Wines is playing like an amateur league player plus Westhoff being played out of position, plus the young ones having quiet games . Some classic skill errors , beaten in the coaches box . No Wonder we lost .!!!

I’m still filthy about this loss

If our players and coaches were half serious we’d have smelt blood before the bounce and come out breathing fire. That way Richmond would have dropped their heads in the first 5 minutes knowing they were f***ed without their stars.

If our players and coaches were half serious we’d have belted the wounded tigers by 10+ goals.

Then again, when is the last time we really belted anyone? We are just happy to take a win (or apparently even a close loss) in the past few years.

Loser attitude of a bottom 6 team. We are going no where anytime soon.

I’m still filthy about this loss

If our players and coaches were half serious we’d have smelt blood before the bounce and come out breathing fire. That way Richmond would have dropped their heads in the first 5 minutes knowing they were f***ed without their stars.

If our players and coaches were half serious we’d have belted the wounded tigers by 10+ goals.

Then again, when is the last time we really belted anyone? We are just happy to take a win (or apparently even a close loss) in the past few years.

Loser attitude of a bottom 6 team. We are going no where anytime soon.
It's a spectacular fall from grace from absolutely barnstorming them back to Melb in 2014 to Saturday's 'we'd just be happy with 4 points effort' when there was such an opportunity to make a statement. How do the leadership (players/coaches) allow what seems an acceptable level of play? You could sense Richmond knew they were right in it up to their ears very early in the match. We just couldn't go the next level up to make them think otherwise.

When asked about the umpiring Hardwick had a good chuckle.
When asked about the umpiring Ken basically blamed Burton.

I could be wrong but I expect Burton to come out softer than ever this week, the same way Ken’s comments seemed to affect Butters.

Also saw on tv show FOOTYSA Bernie Vince highlighted an AFL tweet about Lynch’s double goal because of Burton’s soft push which Wingard ‘liked’
If people think there aren’t sour grapes from Chad, they are wrong.

Also saw on tv show FOOTYSA Bernie Vince highlighted an AFL tweet about Lynch’s double goal because of Burton’s soft push which Wingard ‘liked’
If people think there aren’t sour grapes from Chad, they are wrong.

Lol.

If people think Chad wanted to leave Port Adelaide, they are wrong.

Just another piece of bullshit the club has tried to convince us is a nugget of gold. And to think there are people here who believe that 'he was leaving this year anyway'.

Well that's the thing, isn't it. If he genuinely wanted to go, there wouldn't be any sour grapes. Jared Polec doesn't have any sour grapes, because why would he? He got exactly what he wanted.

I think it's pretty clear to anybody but the most ardent apologists that he was pushed. And why we would push out a franchise talent like Wingard, let alone not do everything we possibly could to keep him, is just baffling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was the older Motlop who missed a set shot after the siren against the aints in Tassie that would have won us the game, not Shaun Burgoyne.

Arguably the most technically-gifted footballer to ever lace a boot. Can kick goals from all angles. And faced with a set shot 30m out straight in front when the siren went, he visibly grimaced before poking the shot wide.
Just listened to Bassett's presser from yesterday. Apparently they practice close finishes all of the time, nearly every training session. That's got to be one of the saddest things I've heard. :$

I’d love to know whether they’re actually scenarios involving outnumbers, presses or needing to kick 2 goals in 45 seconds etc, or whether it’s Cluz, chipping it to Doogs, who chips it to Jasper before bombing long to Neade.

Maybe Chad was going to leave, but it was not because he wanted out of Port, but he wanted away from the shitshow gameplan, hence the sour grapes. I bet when he saw us bombing it long to Frodo and co in another Bill Murray/Rodent spectacular he was internally chuckling, as was I at that stage because what else can you do.

He went a year earlier than planned because he was stale and with Hinkley's extension he couldn't see himself continuing in something he didn't believe in? Something like that?

We have already done Chad to death...but..

What scenario is more likely?

i) A club forces out a 2 time All Australian that wants to stay ? ( Unless there is a Wayne Carey or FEV type scandal it just don't happen)

ii) A player leaves for more pay and greater chance of a flag ?

I know which scenario is more likely

Of course when we BFers hate Hinkley he becomes the reason for everything bad at the club but it is all speculation either way

Think of all the players you have recently seen leaving from GWS to Melbourne or Bombers or Collingwood etc
or Polec
or N Stevens
or Neale
or Swan
or Lockett
or Lynch
or Gablett
or Buddy
or Judd
etc etc

HOw friggen rare is it that a star player (not involved in a scandal) who wants to stay is forced out ..

But BF knows best of course

Last edited:
ii) A player leaves for more pay and greater chance of a flag ?

If he wanted more pay he would've waited for free agency next year before signing with anyone, and Hawthorn are about as s**t as we are right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back