Preview Rd 4 Sydney vs Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce and Naughton both require KPD sized opponents. Bontempelli swinging forward also needs a larger player to cover him. I'd definitely be going in with all three of Brand, Rampe and Aliir to cover those players.

Two of those are athletic talls at worst and no reason Fox can’t take Bont when you forward in fact he’s a nice matchup period.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Two of those are athletic talls at worst and no reason Fox can’t take Bont when you forward in fact he’s a nice matchup period.
I'd much prefer Rampe on Bontempelli rather than Fox.

Anyway, neither of our opinions on this counts for anything, let's see what Longmire goes with.

I'd much prefer Rampe on Bontempelli rather than Fox.

Anyway, neither of our opinions on this counts for anything, let's see what Longmire goes with.

Yep 100%. I guess I’m someone who would rarely change a winning side. Let’s see what Longmire does on Thursday

With McCartin's concussion we have no choice but to change the side.

That is the only change I’d make though and personally we don’t necessarily need another tall. However I’ll caveat this by saying I’m assuming Naismith will be fit

Looks a happy Naismith at Tuesday's session
EbMB1BRU8AA9pCO

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
In - Brand (hopefully?), Ronke
Out - McCartin, Hayward

Ronke replaces Hayward (can't be any worse!) and Sinclair can go forward to take McCartin's place. I think Sinclair & McLean could stretch the Bulldogs defence, combined with Heeney. And let's face it, we need it. Dogs defenders were cutting off everything in sight against GWS whose forward line is better than ours. Papley, Gray, Ronke and Taylor bring the same pressure as they did against the Roos and we could play a forward half game even with the talls.

Won't effect the result anyway as we'll lose to this sh*t stain of a club

Ok. you say Sinclair to take McCartin's place but he is already in the team. So who takes Sinclair's place now he is McCartin? I'd leave McLean in the forward line and it does not look like Naismith is ready so we need someone else. Gould? Maybe O'Connor? I mean at 196cm he is s big unit. Or is Brand ready to return?

Why does Fox have to go at all? I'm not a big fan and he probably loses his spot at some point but he did good last week and is in form. Also seemed to free up Lloyd and Cunningham to push further up the ground and be a bit more attacking.

I'd also take what Fox could offer us physically over McInerney.

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Can’t see us losing this one. Surely the boys get up for Josh Kennedy’s 250th. Would be very surprised if we were flat in this one. Naismith or Ronke in for McCartin would be the only change I can see happening. Oh and perhaps a NSW umpire to match up on the 3 extra players the Bulldogs will have.

We can't drop Fox or McLean after their performances last week.

Team selection 101 - you must reward good form.

The Fox and McLean inclusions felt very specific. Brand went out, and if Horse just wanted a like-for-like replacement, he would've played Melican, or gone with McCartin down back. But he brought Fox in and had him playing a pretty aggressive role off half back, which tells me that's what Horse wanted from him, in which case he delivered, so won't be dropped. And McLean was selected when McCartin was still in the team, so Horse obviously felt a need for an additional tall, even more so now that McCartin will be out.

I'd be gobsmacked but also very confused if either were dropped.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
3 ruckmen seems brave TSTL in 16 minute quarters. Perhaps with McCartin out they're expecting Sinclair and McLean to be the two forward targets?

Definitely. Naismith will play most of the game and get brief chop outs from Sinclair, meaning Sinclair will spend the rest of the game in the goal square presumably and McLean might push up a little higher in McCartin's normal role.

Gray's a little unlucky, thought he was good enough to hold his spot and I liked his experience. Suppose it gives Ronke more incentive to bring his best pressure game.

3 talls won't hurt if our ground level pressure is at the standard it was against the Roos.

Good changes.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Personally I don't like the 3 talls. McCartin is a lot more agile than Sinclair.

I would have kept Gray over him.

I think the coaches have realised they can't rely on Blakey to stand under the majority of long balls. They need someone bigger and stronger. So without McCartin, it's gotta be Sinclair and McLean to be the two tall targets inside 50 so Blakey can be more of a running, mobile forward. Sinclair's lack of pace is possibly dangerous, particularly with McLean in as well but I think it's the right call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back