Preview Rd 4 Sydney vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
[I know this is late but I noticed no one had done the full preview so thought I'd try my hand (Mods feel free to merge this thread with the other one)]

In 2016, the Swans won the minor premiership and found finals favouritism. With main rivals GWS humbling them in Week 1, the Swans rebounded to humiliate Adelaide and Geelong in successive weeks to set up what ought to have been one small step for Sydney, and a Giant leap for AFLkind: an all-NSW grand final. But alas, Gillon's friends from VFL-land had other ideas. So Gillon spoke to Luke Ball, and Ball spoke to Matthew, Jason, Simon and Scott, and the ball was given to the dogs. And so, the premiership cup was handed to the heroes of the pantomime; the Bravedogs were born.

Ever since then, the other 17 teams have done their best to show the Bravedogs up for the pretenders they are. And despite the Swans enjoying ladder superiority for much of that time, the ledger is tied at two wins apiece. Indeed, the Swans have not faced the fleabags since Round 1 of 2019, when Aaron Naughton starred as the Dogs held off their fast-finishing opponents.

The Bravedogs enter this clash on the back of a fine win in last week's melee against the Giants. They have lost through injury Sydney's father-son Josh Dunkley and have chosen to replace him with their own mongrel-pup, Rhylee West, who will take a well-earned break from spelling his name. The Swans, meanwhile, have omitted serial underperformer Colin He's-Not-Tadgh O'Riordan as well as the latest in their proud tradition of failed forward-line recruits, Sam Gray. They welcome back Justin McInerney and Ben Ronke, who will be keen to rediscover his form from That-Game-When-He-Kicked-All-Those-Goals-Against-Hawthorn. Sam Naismith will also have a chance to reclaim the mantle as Swans' No. 1 ruckman, while Tom McCartin takes the week to recover from his head-on collision with the turf at Docklands.

In what must surely be a sign of the times, the AFLUA have yet to announce their support team for the Dogs, as Gillon has clearly been too distracted by viral news to communicate his expectations for this game.

Bulldogs OUT: Suckling, Dunkley, Jong
Bulldogs IN: West, Lipinski, Butler (deb)

Swans OUT: O'Riordan, Gray, McCartin
Swans IN: Ronke, McInerney, Naismith

Significant match-ups: Sydney vs the SCG.

Prediction: Bulldogs by 11 free kicks

Last edited by a moderator:

In - Brand (hopefully?), Ronke
Out - McCartin, Hayward

Ronke replaces Hayward (can't be any worse!) and Sinclair can go forward to take McCartin's place. I think Sinclair & McLean could stretch the Bulldogs defence, combined with Heeney. And let's face it, we need it. Dogs defenders were cutting off everything in sight against GWS whose forward line is better than ours. Papley, Gray, Ronke and Taylor bring the same pressure as they did against the Roos and we could play a forward half game even with the talls.

Won't effect the result anyway as we'll lose to this s**t stain of a club

In - Brand (hopefully?), Ronke
Out - McCartin, Hayward

Ronke replaces Hayward (can't be any worse!) and Sinclair can go forward to take McCartin's place. I think Sinclair & McLean could stretch the Bulldogs defence, combined with Heeney. And let's face it, we need it. Dogs defenders were cutting off everything in sight against GWS whose forward line is better than ours. Papley, Gray, Ronke and Taylor bring the same pressure as they did against the Roos and we could play a forward half game even with the talls.

Won't effect the result anyway as we'll lose to this sh*t stain of a club
Personally I'd persist with Hayward a few more weeks. Although I do agree he has been out of form since last season. Sydney really don't seem to have alot of luck with mid sized forwards. Membrey would be a great addition to our team lol

If Naismith is back and McCartin can't play, I don't love McLean and Sinclair as our two targets but it might be the best option. They're both ruckman size (even though McLean is relatively mobile and works hard for his size) and our forward line is playing well because it's so quick. However, I loved McCartin and McLean being the targets because it let Heeney roam up the field as more of a CHF rather than being stuck in the goalsquare the whole game.

Might have to go with it for this week until McCartin is back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to see they have ruled out McCartin
Out: McCartin (inj),
In: Naismith, Brand
I'd keep McLean in for McCartin but if Naismith back then likely Sinclair in and McLean out.

watched their last few games and theyre an unorganised side

even in their win last week it was more gws not having their heads in the game

given that its at home, we probably lose this by 1-2 goals

who will tag the three umpires, they rode the dogs home last week

other than that whats there to fear? dogs are mentally weak

unfortunately this is at the SCG. i expect us to be inconsistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back