Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The amount of posters saying

"It was only 28 points and they are a premiership contender"

Makes me very, very sick.

We've been so bad for so long we just expect to lose as a supporter base now. Its just so sad

Couldn't agree more we only lost to Port by 3 points last year. We played them at home and lost by more this year.

Teague needs some better coaches to support and help drill an actual game plan. Not experienced enough to have ideas obviously.

Stocker needs to come in and get a run. Hope Parks is back. Willo needs a long jog as does about 10 others.

Eddie or Murph need a run in reserves. Bring in one of the 14 young mid/forwards we have. Maybe roll out Durdin or give young Matt Owies a game.

Few senior players like Crippa, Ed and Harry need rockets for their flaws that are embarrassing: Cripps trying to be superman, Ed banging blindly forward at every chance and a Harry... the big fella needs to take a looks at Tex Walker and show some aggression rather than drop and feign for free kicks. Become the power forward you were born to be, H!

One word that describes most of our 2021 so far and is the greatest change needed.

Passive. We are largely a passive footy side. I hope to God that changes.

Last edited:

No, it was an 160 point loss, I'll just go and let the AFL know so it's reflected in our percentage.

While I'm out, I'll go fetch you another rod for your back, in case that one breaks.

If you can't work out the thrust of the comment, more fool you.

We were never in the contest, Port went in 2nd gear, join the dots....

Early days, but giving Williams such a big contract that is midfielder money not half back flanker money, largely on the back of one standout midfield game vs Collingwood was always a bit risky and questionable.

He's only 3 games in at a new club and playing mid...he's been ok but not starring...too early to move him to defence. We aren't paying him the big bucks to play defence and we have other players t cover those positions.

Keep him in the middle, our midfield needs him more than our back line and hopefully he grows in the role. 3 games in the cohesion with our other mids and forwards might not quite be there yet.
Way too early to move Williams anywhere. Missed round 1 and 4. Got to have to time get continuity and form. Hasn't been bad bit hasn't been great. It'll click.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Happens every week, our inability to lock it in for a chance of repeat shots for goal or the ease we allow it to rebound out is bloody awful..
One could say, getting back to basics is the small forwards have one job. When the ball goes to talls, the small try their hardest to follow the main tall target so when there is no mark they are their at the drop to lock it in.

Is it as effective as a lead from a small? Not at all, but it rolling up sleeves and going blue collar method. You need to walk before you can run. Locking in the ball had been disastrous and we are 18th on the ladder for this.

Forget top 8 if this goes out the window for opposition going coast to coast.

One could say, getting back to basics is the small forwards have one job. When the ball goes to talls, the small try their hardest to follow the main tall target so when there is no mark they are their at the drop to lock it in.

Is it as effective as a lead from a small? Not at all, but it rolling up sleeves and going blue collar method. You need to walk before you can run. Locking in the ball had been disastrous and we are 18th on the ladder for this.

Forget top 8 if this goes out the window for opposition going coast to coast.

The problem is we are too predictable when we go forward, we do not kick to a lead, we do not try to separate the backman with multiple leads. We kick to a contest where the opposition stack numbers to out number our small forwards and win the ball back easily. Our small forwards needs space to cause damage and they don't have it which is why most of our small forward goals are always very difficult shots. Betts is great 1 v1 not 1v 3, we are our own worst enemy.

The amount of posters saying

"It was only 28 points and they are a premiership contender"

Makes me very, very sick.

We've been so bad for so long we just expect to lose as a supporter base now. Its just so sad
SPOT ON!
Our list is well short on the type of players it takes to win consistently and win premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So depressing. Very little has changed for a number of years. Over promise and under deliver...nothing worse. When was the last time we won a big game against quality opposition?

So obvious this list is never going to be more than a 10-16 side. Why would any player take inspiration from the captain at the moment when even he can't commit his future to the club?

And why do so many other clubs manage to get their recruiting spot on when we seem to be way off? Just so many list cloggers. And I read somewhere "can Dow recapture his good form"? Recapture? When has he EVER even captured it?

Early days, but giving Williams such a big contract that is midfielder money not half back flanker money, largely on the back of one standout midfield game vs Collingwood was always a bit risky and questionable.

He's only 3 games in at a new club and playing mid...he's been ok but not starring...too early to move him to defence. We aren't paying him the big bucks to play defence and we have other players t cover those positions.

Keep him in the middle, our midfield needs him more than our back line and hopefully he grows in the role. 3 games in the cohesion with our other mids and forwards might not quite be there yet.
The thing is that we have bunch of mids in the 2nds that we are trying to shoehorn into other positions (like half back) partly because we have a well paid half back that wants play mid.

If only there was a simple solution.

Port were the better side no question. I do wonder about the mental prep though. Win a couple of games in a row and take the foot off the Pedal... As has been The case for years.

I feel like This loss was like the Collingwood one in terms of effort.

Last edited:
The FOX podcast by King and Montagna was harsh, but fair. Too many high value recruits are in danger of becoming list-cloggers. They can't all be dud picks, so it comes down to development and direction.

podcast

'Not quite sure why the melts.'..... Are you serious ?
I think I speak for many Carlton supporters when I say I am sick to the back teeth of losing. We have ridden this painful rebuild train for the last however many years and it is now starting to look like we may not be going to arrive at our desired destination. Hell we might be looking at a serious derailment here where we might not manage to even play finals with this list, while watching sides like Sydney gallop past us. So what you're reading being expressed here is disappointment, frustration and most of all sadness.
I just wish some of our players took losing as hard as some of us supporters.
This times 1000 ✔️
Forget about the injuries, every club has injuries. What worries me is that our replacements show zilch. Why is that? Not even a flashy thing or two to make you go wow that bloke might have something.....Parkes aside thank god!

The FOX podcast by King and Montagna was harsh, but fair. Too many high value recruits are in danger of becoming list-cloggers. They can't all be dud picks, so it comes down to development and direction.

podcast
I thought the assessment they made was quite sound.

Particularly the part where they talked about how we have players who when things are going well look really good and like they've turned a corner, only to completely melt when the temperature gets raised a little bit.

That's very accurate I think. When it gets hot Walsh and Cripps will try to step up, Patty often tries to do way too much to the teams detriment, but at least he's trying to get stuck into the game. Doc does the same, he'll suddenly try to hit 60m passes and kick the ball out on the full as a result, again though at least he's having a crack. How many guys around them sit back? Most of them.

Perhaps if more guys lifted with the intensity they wouldn't need to try superman plays and could trust their teammates, but right now I don't think they would have that trust, and rightly so.

Back