Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish i was as confident as you , The Doggies are on fire and are all playing exactly to plan
Melbourne also has alot of weapons and may have just turned the corner and could be the real deal this year

Port is extremely suspect on the MCG when pressure is applied with teams that have run and speed
Its space and pressure, Tigers rarely allow you to have either. They get heavy numbers to every contest and disperse at speed once they have it. The most remarkable improvement I've noticed is Cotchin. He was soft once - murphy soft. Leads by example, literally.

Nor have I, but as I said, he has become this way. The "Why" is more important and pressing. Is it because he doesn't trust his teammates and will do a long bomb to nowhere is stead of giving off? Is it because attempting low percentage spectacular things is a result of contract negotiations? Is it because the pressure of negotiations, he misses a set shot from a 25m out? Its hard to know what a young player of this calibre goes through mentally.

I think it's partly to improve himself and contribute more (in his eyes) and he did allude to this when he lost the weight to improve his running and he's also feeling the pressure of the need to get wins and feels he needs to be doing everything he can to achieve that.

He needs to go back and have a look at his best years and that will be the best way he can contribute to a positive result. At the moment he's like a golfer who's tinkered with his swing so much he's lost sight of what made his swing good in the first place.

I know it sounds trite - but just kicking easy shots ( ie set shots within 30 meters with no more than a 45 degree angle) would see Carlton a 4-5 gol better side each week. That is the first point - we dont capitalise on the efforts made betwen the arcs at all this means we dont ever apply score board pressure. We have relatively weak players on the outside - good runners - but poor attackers. This means entries are also always questionable and slow and ponderous - despite some great kicking from defensive players to set up easy entries....Weitering is actually taking his kicks to a new level...

Second point is that Harry isnt a great contested mark he isa beautiful leading mark - but doesn't lead as much as he should - same for Levi. We arent organised well enoiugh to actually make use of three talls at the moment in terms of kicks to them. Against Port Harry alowed ALit to take front posiiton - for teh whole game - I dont knwo who the coaches are at Carlton - but that could have been fixed at anytime - Alir was their #1 stopper and we kept kicking to him - because Harry was happy to play behind- that wwas weirdo deluxo stuff.

As for Richmond/WC comparisons - they both have dedicated small and mid sized forwards who can kick goals- we dont. So teague tries to flood forward and use repeat pressure to get a result-this is a very very taxing strategy, takes its toll on players over 4 quarters - especially if you cant ever get score board pressure on opposition. We have not one small forward who can kick a running goal from 35 meters out - not one.

We have SOJ/Martin and Fisher out - they are all better options as smaller forwards than what we are playing with now.

There are no 'easy' goals for Carlton with current team line up unfortunately.

Great post, the bolded bits especially resonate with me.

Nor have I, but as I said, he has become this way. The "Why" is more important and pressing. Is it because he doesn't trust his teammates and will do a long bomb to nowhere is stead of giving off? Is it because attempting low percentage spectacular things is a result of contract negotiations? Is it because the pressure of negotiations, he misses a set shot from a 25m out? Its hard to know what a young player of this calibre goes through mentally.
I think maybe it's a combination of not trusting teammates but also feeling like he has to be the one to lift the team. It can't be denied that since he arrived he's been the source of inspiration many times, maybe he feels the pressure to be that guy more than he used to instead of just doing the things that do inspire like he used to.

I don't think it's the contract. He's been missing easy set shots his whole career it's not a new thing since he's gone into a contract year.

I know it sounds trite - but just kicking easy shots ( ie set shots within 30 meters with no more than a 45 degree angle) would see Carlton a 4-5 gol better side each week. That is the first point - we dont capitalise on the efforts made betwen the arcs at all this means we dont ever apply score board pressure. We have relatively weak players on the outside - good runners - but poor attackers. This means entries are also always questionable and slow and ponderous - despite some great kicking from defensive players to set up easy entries....Weitering is actually taking his kicks to a new level...

Second point is that Harry isnt a great contested mark he isa beautiful leading mark - but doesn't lead as much as he should - same for Levi. We arent organised well enoiugh to actually make use of three talls at the moment in terms of kicks to them. Against Port Harry alowed ALit to take front posiiton - for teh whole game - I dont knwo who the coaches are at Carlton - but that could have been fixed at anytime - Alir was their #1 stopper and we kept kicking to him - because Harry was happy to play behind- that wwas weirdo deluxo stuff.

As for Richmond/WC comparisons - they both have dedicated small and mid sized forwards who can kick goals- we dont. So teague tries to flood forward and use repeat pressure to get a result-this is a very very taxing strategy, takes its toll on players over 4 quarters - especially if you cant ever get score board pressure on opposition. We have not one small forward who can kick a running goal from 35 meters out - not one.

We have SOJ/Martin and Fisher out - they are all better options as smaller forwards than what we are playing with now.

There are no 'easy' goals for Carlton with current team line up unfortunately.

Harry used to be a great contested mark, yes, alot of the times on the move (dont think he is great 1-on-1 standing still) but he used to clunk contested grabs. But he doesn't seem to be on the move as much and then goes to ground as soon as anyone touches him (and you wont get frees falling over all the time). I also think he is just a dumb footballer

I have no confidence in any of our players kicking for goal. Neither do they. Maybe Fogarty.
If Eddies on the boundary and has about an inch of daylight between the goals I'm confident. If he was directly in front, less so. If Harry is in a half of 50 where he can snap, then I'm confident. In any other situation certainly not.

Haven't seen enough of Fog yet to be sure but he looks like a natural smooth kick, which is a rarity on our list right now, so he's getting there.

Going back if Tuohy was 55 out on the run you could write it in the book. Since going to Geelong he's started missing a lot of those but for us he was nearly a lock. Fev outside 45 was the same, inside that it got dodgy.

Harry used to be a great contested mark, yes, alot of the times on the move (dont think he is great 1-on-1 standing still) but he used to clunk contested grabs. But he doesn't seem to be on the move as much and then goes to ground as soon as anyone touches him (and you wont get frees falling over all the time). I also think he is just a dumb footballer

Harry is playing very very 'stationary' so far this year - he is far more athletic and fast than what he has displayed so far- I wonder if he is still nursing a bad ankle....I agree in the past he has shown an ability to jump over opponents - this year he can hardly get off the ground...and losing feet so easily in pretty much every contest - may be a sign he is protecting against strwssing ankle.

Nah. Even Levi was snapping around the corner for goals. So was Mitch. Last quarter was a shellacking - we just couldn't convert.

Thats our problem - in front of goals - thats where its been letting us down for 2 decades - man I used to cringe with Kernahan in front of goals - only Fev, Whitnall, Stevens, Silvagni, Bradley, Ratten, Diesel types have ever made me confident.

Fogarty is great, so is Charlie.
I hate Fogarty's run up for a set shot. Doing circles with the ball.

Compare it to Georgiadis' run up keeping the ball over his kicking leg, looking directly at goal. Straight run in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry is playing very very 'stationary' so far this year - he is far more athletic and fast than what he has displayed so far- I wonder if he is still nursing a bad ankle....I agree in the past he has shown an ability to jump over opponents - this year he can hardly get off the ground...and losing feet so easily in pretty much every contest - may be a sign he is protecting against strwssing ankle.
Yeah I had forgotten about the ankle, good point.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Q: 1 minute in Newnes get spoiled for a direct in front kick - no awareness | 1.5 minutes in after a coridoor run ( including Fogarty cleaning up a sh*t kick from Cripps great cleanup from Williamson eventually to Levi who ignores an umarked Harry and shanks it OOB from 20 meters out on an angle
Newnes looks to get it on the boot as quick as he can. It's a split second decision and there's nothing wrong with going for goal - an unwillingness to take the shot under pressure is one of our issues imo.

Williamson fumbled the ball. It meant everyone next in the chain lost that extra step to have a clean shot and were put under pressure. I would rather Levi snap for goal there than try to pull off a dinky 20m pass, as he's equally likely to put it OOB or hit the target in each instance. I can handle all these mistakes personally.

I note you rated Williamson's start but what stood out to me was the 30 yr old Motlop gaining 10+ meters on him from the centre to take an uncontested mark inside 50, as well as allowing Fantasia to stream away and take a shot shortly after. These are the things that are more in our control and what is letting us down I feel.

Not trying to s**t on your take btw. Just countering that I thought our start wasn't bad and we can't expect our players to make no errors.

I hate Fogarty's run up for a set shot. Doing circles with the ball.

Compare it to Georgiadis' run up keeping the ball over his kicking leg, looking directly at goal. Straight run in.
Whatever he's doing seems to work.

I can understand your thinking and love your optimism. Just curious - Did you watch the game on TV or were you at the ground?

I was there, and from my eye, it was an absolute thrashing. Forget about the scoring shots and inside 50s for a moment. Think about this - how often did we kick to an outnumbered contest? How often did Port have players in space? The difference was stark.

Our players were caught out of position over and over again. We had to work harder and the pressure resulted in poor decision making and skill errors. In many cases, our players looked confused and made poor decisions because they didn't have any options downfield. Port on the other hand were brimming with confidence. They knew what to do. It was impressive to watch. They had more time and space and didn't have to work as hard. So what you think were lucky plays, I would say were the end result of a good game plan that was working.

That's my take anyway. Sorry to be a Negative Nelly. I just hope Teague and co watch it, learn from it and educate the players. If they are strutting around Princes Park thinking, like you, that we were unlucky and patting themselves on the back because we had more scoring shots and more inside 50s, then we are in big trouble.
Agree totally.

Something to keep in mind though:

* How long has Hinkley been at Port?

* How many time have they called for his head?

It takes time to get a group playing together all pulling in the same direction.

It takes time playing together for players to have trust in each other.

They have to know, without looking, that they will have options a, b or c when they get the ball in various area of the ground.

That's when you'll see it come together.

Until then, while players have to think about where to run, where to pass the ball, we'll look silly because that hesitation is all the time the opposition need to shut down space and create pressure which in turn effects execution.

Its space and pressure, Tigers rarely allow you to have either. They get heavy numbers to every contest and disperse at speed once they have it. The most remarkable improvement I've noticed is Cotchin. He was soft once - murphy soft. Leads by example, literally.
I got lambasted by a couple of supporters here for saying that Murphy should not be playing as he doesnt offer anything the role he is playing demands in todays football.

Speed to crumb , speed to close up space , tackling pressure or marking option , covering ground to cut off ball going out of the foward line or goal kicking
I was told he is in the team for his delivery inside 50.

I would love to see Carlton playing with 4 smalls in the foward line that consisted of Fischer , Cunningham , Martin , Fogarty
Getting the ball out of Carltons foward line would be bloody hard and the speed would be causing other teams massive headaches

Newnes looks to get it on the boot as quick as he can. It's a split second decision and there's nothing wrong with going for goal - an unwillingness to take the shot under pressure is one of our issues imo.

Williamson fumbled the ball. It meant everyone next in the chain lost that extra step to have a clean shot and were put under pressure. I would rather Levi snap for goal there than try to pull off a dinky 20m pass, as he's equally likely to put it OOB or hit the target in each instance. I can handle all these mistakes personally.

I note you rated Williamson's start but what stood out to me was the 30 yr old Motlop gaining 10+ meters on him from the centre to take an uncontested mark inside 50, as well as allowing Fantasia to stream away and take a shot shortly after. These are the things that are more in our control and what is letting us down I feel.

Not trying to sh*t on your take btw. Just countering that I thought our start wasn't bad and we can't expect our players to make no errors.

The thing about good forward play is forwards have an awareness about what is coming Newnes had options in that play- the same bloke that gave off to him was streaming alongside if he had just braced and taken the tackle- or braced and just let the Port defender run bye...we are playing non forwards as forward options - not a specific criticism really just a general observation.

The same goes for Levi - you say no dinky 20 meter kick fair enough - I say Harry could have been on the move to open up a handball option over the top - that side was Harry's natural side and Levi decided to go for a wild snap instead. Mind you neither of these blokes are the sharpest knife in the block as far as forward craft goes - which is why SOJ |Martin and Fisher are big outs- they are all faster thinkers with greater awareness - same fgoes for Cahrlie. but lets no there.

As for Williamson - it is interesting to me watching the difference in his impact between defending and attacking like SPS neither looks to be a natural defending player - yet we persist - because no other options atm. Maybe neither has the running power to play wing - but Williamson has played his best in some space.

I got lambasted by a couple of supporters here for saying that Murphy should not be playing as he doesn't offer anything the role he is playing demands in todays football.

Speed to crumb , speed to close up space , tackling pressure or marking option , covering ground to cut off ball going out of the foward line or goal kicking

I would love to see Carlton playing with 4 smalls in the foward line that consisted of Fischer , Cunningham , Martin , Fogarty
Getting the ball out of Carltons foward line would be bloody hard and the speed would be causing other teams massive headaches
unfortunately, another perennial problem is injuries, getting the best 22 on the park at any one time is proving to be a fantasy.
Murphy is a player that is very good user of the ball, but needs time and space. Those days are long gone. The luxury of carrying him to a milestone is possible, but too many players are down and sets a poor example of meritocracy. You currently have 2 x players new, that have difficulty adjusting to the speed of the game your team play , but they improve every game

I got lambasted by a couple of supporters here for saying that Murphy should not be playing as he doesnt offer anything the role he is playing demands in todays football.

Along with Harry and Mitch I would prefer that to what we have now.

Exactly! and totally inexcusable. He demanded big dollars plus full time midfield role... and he got them...

Only positive is, it's very early, only 3 games in... but what was he doing during preseason?
Was away from Melbourne due to Covid.

Was training, but who knows how hard. I guess Russell would have had his GPS data etc.

Back