Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
The thing about good forward play is forwards have an awareness about what is coming Newnes had options in that play- the same bloke that gave off to him was streaming alongside if he had just braced and taken the tackle- or braced and just let the Port defender run bye...we are playing non forwards as forward options - not a specific criticism really just a general observation.

The same goes for Levi - you say no dinky 20 meter kick fair enough - I say Harry could have been on the move to open up a handball option over the top - that side was Harry's natural side and Levi decided to go for a wild snap instead. Mind you neither of these blokes are the sharpest knife in the block as far as forward craft goes - which is why SOJ |Martin and Fisher are big outs- they are all faster thinkers with greater awareness - same fgoes for Cahrlie. but lets no there.

As for Williamson - it is interesting to me watching the difference in his impact between defending and attacking like SPS neither looks to be a natural defending player - yet we persist - because no other options atm. Maybe neither has the running power to play wing - but Williamson has played his best in some space.
Fair points. I've been down on Williamson because of his lack of defensive ability. It's a good observation that he looks much more comfortable in the forward half. I'd consider putting Setterfield in his role and pushing Williamson up to ground.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
I got lambasted by a couple of supporters here for saying that Murphy should not be playing as he doesnt offer anything the role he is playing demands in todays football.

Speed to crumb , speed to close up space , tackling pressure or marking option , covering ground to cut off ball going out of the foward line or goal kicking
I was told he is in the team for his delivery inside 50.

I would love to see Carlton playing with 4 smalls in the foward line that consisted of Fischer , Cunningham , Martin , Fogarty
Getting the ball out of Carltons foward line would be bloody hard and the speed would be causing other teams massive headaches
Currently we have a forward line set up consisting of McKay, McGovern, Casboult, Murphy, Betts & Gibbons.

The first 5 named all have little or no impact when the ball hits the ground.....
no pressure, no tackle, no chase

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Deeper.
I don't think some of our selections are helping at all (Setterfield/Kennedy on the wing etc), but it's positioning. We don't stand in the right spots, and we don't run to the right spots at the right time.

This puts us under pressure both in terms of skill, because we're not free with the ball, but also in terms of decision making, because the easy/right option isn't available. Just watch how easy it was for Collingwood and Port to move the ball from the contest, through the middle of the ground, into their forwardline. And compare it to us (even in the Freo/Suns games we dominated).

It's not only positioning, it's workrate too.

Time and again we'd have guys jogging back defensively while Port players ran past them into space to give an option going forward. Or to provide an outnumber at a contest.

It's either that, or they are so busy pointing at one another they don't man up.

It's why we are getting beaten on the outside.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It looked like they were following the gameplan, but Hinkley had already studied it and schooled his players on how to structure up around the ground. The result - turnovers, player confusion, hesitation, and ultimately a lack of confidence and skill errors. I thought we worked harder, and we had to, while Port had time and space, and coasted in second gear.

If anyone has the GPS numbers, I would love to see them. I would be surprised if Port ran harder than us despite having vastly more uncontested possessions.
My suspicion would be that we had player work harder, but also players who didn't work as hard as the average Port player. Meaning guys like Walsh busting their assess so blokes like Williams, Cripps, Kennedy, Casboult could jog around defensively.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not only positioning, it's workrate too.

Time and again we'd have guys jogging back defensively while Port players ran past them into space to give an option going forward. Or to provide an outnumber at a contest.

It's either that, or they are so busy pointing at one another they don't man up.

It's why we are getting beaten on the outside.

Don't know what the GPS date is from Saturday, but overall our workrate has been ok in terms of effort. The problem is it's not applied intelligently enough, so it's inefficient effort.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There is no cohesion in forward line - none. There is no semblence of game plan for forward entries or how to take advantage of free kicks near inside fifty- it is all rush ruch crash and bash and see what happens. Nothing clinical or planned - nothing. That is our bnig weakness.
No set plays.

No dummy leads to create space.

Or leads that double back etc.

Just Harry and Cas standing about 15m apart not knowing where the other is.

No set plays.

No dummy leads to create space.

Or leads that double back etc.

Just Harry and Cas standing about 15m apart not knowing where the other is.

yep lack of systems and drilled patterns everywhere and still very competitive...

Just watching the game again - slowly ....the difference between us and them is team continuity and developed systems - we are a lot better than we look atm...hard to get continuity though with our constant injuries ...

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
yep lack of systems and drilled patterns everywhere and still very competitive...

Just watching the game again - slowly ....the difference between us and them is team continuity and developed systems - we are a lot better than we look atm...hard to get continuity though with our constant injuries ...

Most of our injuries are in the forward 3rd though. We should be hoping that our systems are a fair bit better than they currently are through the other 2 thirds of the ground.

Stephene

Senior List
Jul 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
who knows what to say after that....it's all been said.....can't really think of anything to say that will add value to the conversation.......just gotta have faith in match committee to come up with the best match up for the Brisbane game.....get this one and we'll be 3 and 3 and things will look a little better.......playing another preliminary finalist from last year...it'll be tough.....but they've got the same win loss ratio as us..........lost to them by 3 or so last game last year.....if we want it bad enough and want to atone for the Port loss then we'll win......Go Blues

Most of our injuries are in the forward 3rd though. We should be hoping that our systems are a fair bit better than they currently are through the other 2 thirds of the ground.

Port got out from kick ins by simply kicking the ball to right side of center square as go to strategy - they stacked the ball drop zone ( right hand side of center square with Dixon/Lycett/Marshall/Boak and Wines - to make it at worst a contested situation - with Gray waiting for a receive and Jones their HB streaming through - worked to get them territory minumum sans all the mucking around and 2-3 cheapies during 2nd and third.

I dont think Carlton has any safe or repeatable systems tbh - nothing I've seen consistently employed.

We messed up defensive play against Port - Jones got schooled by Georgiades and no one could cover Gray - who was roatated forward and on ball to great effect.

Carlton looked directionless coming out of kick ins - made hard work of it every time - since teagues run it through teh center via Saad has been dropped due to his propines no doubt.

No doubt that they used their players thoughtfully - their better runners were matched to advantage and they used their overall bigger bodies in combination to great effect.

This is where coaching to strengths comes in - Carlton is still learning who can play a basic 4 quarter game let alone building a game plan around our strengths- if we cant use teh centre between teh arcs it is hard work - whenever we did use it we made good progress but usually got shut down by a skill error.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
who knows what to say after that....it's all been said.....can't really think of anything to say that will add value to the conversation.......just gotta have faith in match committee to come up with the best match up for the Brisbane game.....get this one and we'll be 3 and 3 and things will look a little better.......playing another preliminary finalist from last year...it'll be tough.....but they've got the same win loss ratio as us..........lost to them by 3 or so last game last year.....if we want it bad enough and want to atone for the Port loss then we'll win......Go Blues
Faith? Based on what? Time and again they have proved inept.

BlueAbroad

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I enjoyed this. Agreed with most of the ratings. The only addition I'd have is more discussion about the role the players are in and whether it suits them. For instance we know Kennedy shouldn't be pushed up on to a wing. It's just not his go.

Fully agree with your Cripps assessment and enjoyed the emotion you showed.

Also, we are in sync on Doc. Thought he was better than most here give him credit for. Those dropped marks have clouded things for them.

Lastly, it has been a couple of years since we stopped doing the BigFooty Blues podcast. I don't feel any urgency to fire it back up when there are quality products such as yours filling the void. Your fan responses after the game are awesome too.

Thank you kindly!

And yet Walshy helps himself to 6 tackles..
it's no longer feasible, practical or accurate to compare other players to walsh - may as well have used judd, no point he was just unique..........

Last edited:

CarltonBlooz

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Port got out from kick ins by simply kicking the ball to right side of center square as go to strategy - they stacked the ball drop zone ( right hand side of center square with Dixon/Lycett/Marshall/Boak and Wines - to make it at worst a contested situation - with Gray waiting for a receive and Jones their HB streaming through - worked to get them territory minumum sans all the mucking around and 2-3 cheapies during 2nd and third.

I dont think Carlton has any safe or repeatable systems tbh - nothing I've seen consistently employed.

We messed up defensive play against Port - Jones got schooled by Georgiades and no one could cover Gray - who was roatated forward and on ball to great effect.

Carlton looked directionless coming out of kick ins - made hard work of it every time - since teagues run it through teh center via Saad has been dropped due to his propines no doubt.

No doubt that they used their players thoughtfully - their better runners were matched to advantage and they used their overall bigger bodies in combination to great effect.

This is where coaching to strengths comes in - Carlton is still learning who can play a basic 4 quarter game let alone building a game plan around our strengths- if we cant use teh centre between teh arcs it is hard work - whenever we did use it we made good progress but usually got shut down by a skill error.

18th for pressure.
17th for tackles.
18th for D50 to i50.

Pretty grim looking stats, I dunno wtf was happened for us to be dishing that up on a weekly basis.

How hard is it to tackle someone, I mean really? Make the most basic things look so immeasurably difficult.

Still bombing it in, only been happening for several seasons now, completely baffling why it persists. They of course intercept mark cause of the idiotic entries, spring happens, we get caught off guard, boom, easy opposition goal.

Comedy gold scenes ensure of Carlton players jogging alongside opposition players waiting for them to do something or dinky little pushes.

Just like the Collingwood game, you could have put Benny Hill music on multiple Carlton passages of play and it would of fit perfectly.

Must be nice being a Carlton footballer, put in the most bare amount of effort and get paid mad dollarydoos.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
They absolutely did not "take it easy" - if we had of kicked straight they would have lost. That simple. We totally dominated and they were getting desperate. They were however dead on their feet after last week and having spent all their cookies in the 2nd and 3rd quarters - thats footy, thats how you win - let the other team run ragged then come home with a wet sail.

Again - we had 9 scoring shots to their 2 - we smashed them in the last and couldn't kick straight. Its just a fact.
I admire your tenacity. Enough said except :poov1: uphill🏑

Back