Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
everyone is waiting for a breakout game seeing Carlton beat a top4 side - I get it. Maybe though we have to understand wedo have a few injuries atm.

Injuries are part of it, but a lot of it is our gameplan, how well the players are drilled, and selection (in the team, and what positions).

Injuries don't account for the team not being switched on. I was praying that Newnes or Cripps would nail those shots and it would spark us, but we never woke up.

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It was a poor and unacceptable performance, however the hyperbole about calling our whole rebuild a complete failure based on this one game cmon... One of them even called for us to drop Ed Curnow and Michael Gibbons.. Did they forget Ed had 35 possessions the week before..

A lot of what they were saying is accurate but I just think it was completely OTT, we are 2-3 and there is a side that is 0-5 and 4 others that are 1-4 yet we lead the footy shows and it is Carlton and Teague under pressure.

One game??

Others calling it a knee-jerk reaction??

Can’t be serious. That is head in sand stuff.

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
everyone is waiting for a breakout game seeing Carlton beat a top4 side - I get it. Maybe though we have to understand wedo have a few injuries atm.
Yep, eight out of our best 22. I realise every club has injuries. Yet, what a difference that JSOS, Fish, Martin, Parks, Newman, DeKoning, Marchy and Charlie.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
If Newman marchy and parks were fit I'd guess Williamson and plowman would be the outs... Perhaps Sps out and parks in so Newman can roam.

As if they're going to drop Plowman to play Newman.
Williamson certainly shouldn't be in the team at the moment, and most of us would love to see Samo up the field, but that at best leaves 2 defensive spots.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It was a poor and unacceptable performance, however the hyperbole about calling our whole rebuild a complete failure based on this one game cmon... One of them even called for us to drop Ed Curnow and Michael Gibbons.. Did they forget Ed had 35 possessions the week before..

A lot of what they were saying is accurate but I just think it was completely OTT, we are 2-3 and there is a side that is 0-5 and 4 others that are 1-4 yet we lead the footy shows and it is Carlton and Teague under pressure.

You do realise Ed's man he was tagging also got 30 touches and Teague didnt agree with the journalist who said Ed had a good game.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
If you kick more behinds than goals, you're less likely to win. Bad kicking is bad football. We were lucky Gold Coast didnt punish us for the same issue the week prior.

The coaches responsible for entry into 50 and our forward 50 structure have some serious questions to answer. We are flat track bullies. Harry is not the messiah.....he drops too many sitters.

We're spending too long trying to hit the highlight reel while port played a simple gameplan and tore us to shreds.

CarltonBlooz

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
If you kick more behinds than goals, you're less likely to win. Bad kicking is bad football. We were lucky Gold Coast didnt punish us for the same issue the week prior.

The coaches responsible for entry into 50 and our forward 50 structure have some serious questions to answer. We are flat track bullies. Harry is not the messiah.....he drops too many sitters.

We're spending too long trying to hit the highlight reel while port played a simple gameplan and tore us to shreds.

Teague highlighting the repeated bombing it into F50 as a win. :$

Of course you're going to get a lot of entries if you do that David, doesn't take a skillful team to not look and bomb it in and hope for the best.

Most AFL footballers would be capable of bombing it into F50 from far away..

Questions should be asked about Stanton + Bruce long before Teague gets the axe.

How that still persists after several seasons. :think::think:

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

The expectation for Carlton this season was to be playing a much better brand of football than we have been and that's at the very least.

A lot of the issues raised on here are the exact same ones I've seen raised in the media (sure some of them probably get their info from here but it doesn't make it wrong) and that just tells me Teague needs to start listening and actually address by action issues with the game plan, player's effectiveness in relation to that game plan, who he's actually playing and in some cases where they are playing.

Teague has constantly promoted an aggressive, pressure oriented, high scoring, good to watch game plan however this team has not come remotely close to showing any of that.

This alone should make it obvious to all that there are real and serious problems with the way this team is currently playing football.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague highlighting the repeated bombing it into F50 as a win. :$

Of course you're going to get a lot of entries if you do that David, doesn't take a skillful team to not look and bomb it in and hope for the best.

Most AFL footballers would be capable of bombing it into F50 from far away..

Questions should be asked about Stanton + Bruce long before Teague gets the axe.

How that still persists after several seasons. :think::think:

Teague is the senior coach and if he is highlighting that as a win then perhaps he should be asked the questions before the other two.

Thanks to one small rule change the game has fundamentally changed and we actually have the cattle to take advantage of it in our forward half but Teague has stuck with the forward entry plan he used at Adelaide, ie get it in high and deep for his big forwards to take contested grabs or if not have Eddie and Gray swoop and goal. We only have one genuine contested grab forward in Levi who's on one leg dropping marks he shouldn't and missing goals he shouldn't.

We should stop congesting up our forward line, open it up and create some one on one leading for guys like Harry and Mitch with our half forwards and pockets pushing up then surging back to cover a spillage.

The whole ground has accelerated yet we're still stuck in slow ball movement mode making it so easy for teams to nullify our I50 entries.

I don't think Teague has adjusted to this rule change at all.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Injuries are part of it, but a lot of it is our gameplan, how well the players are drilled, and selection (in the team, and what positions).

Injuries don't account for the team not being switched on. I was praying that Newnes or Cripps would nail those shots and it would spark us, but we never woke up.
Not enough defensive running power in the side at the moment. This is the crux of our issues.

Earls Smother

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
The flat-footedness was driving every one around us insane. Very visible from where we were sitting.

They just seemed way sharper than us in every aspect. To me, there are 3 possible reasons.

1) we just weren't switched on. That would seem improbable given our circumstances.

2) we were flogged on the track during the week. Again unlikely given we'd won our last 2.

3) the game the week before in the heat and humidity was tougher to recover from than we realise. The Gold Coast were basically witches hats in the first half against the Bulldogs, having been very competitive early in their previous games - and they should be more used to the Qld. conditions than us. I don't like to look for excuses, but there has to be some reason why we looked so flat and lacked any urgency and sharpness. The commentators at Metricon were saying how warm it was that night, and then you factor in that the game was played like a wet weather slog due to the sweat and dew. Wet weather-type football is generally more taxing, as evidenced by St. Kilda and GWS both being poor in round 2 after their round 1 slog in the rain.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
You accept mediocrity, I don't.

That's the difference.
How on earth is it 28 points when port put cue in rack amd a bit of junk time fun for us?
Wowsers
That’s a horrible way to look at it. 28 points is being in the game all game till x amount toward end
After quarter
We were never in the game, but let’s make all the s**t stats stick up against average and keep making excuses pathetic.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
You accept mediocrity, I don't.

That's the difference.
That's it, bellow it out. Beat your chest for the benefit of everyone listening! You're not being performative enough, why not string the platitude out as much as you can?

I think it's pitiful and awful, your determination to growl and spit at people for not feeling the agony you clearly want to spread. The next stop on your little journey is to call me 'not genuine', try to portray my support as worth less than yours.

Remind me. How does my attitude affect what the club does, at all? How does your pain and - loud - whining change our fates for the better onfield?

The difference between us is that I am more interested in the why than the what; why we lost, than the fact we lost. You can't get beyond the emotion to the rational.

Bleat your pitifulness elsewhere, you febrile mewling thing.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
How on earth is it 28 points when port put cue in rack amd a bit of junk time fun for us?
Wowsers
That’s a horrible way to look at it. 28 points is being in the game all game till x amount toward end
After quarter
We were never in the game, but let’s make all the sh*t stats stick up against average and keep making excuses pathetic.
Ah. We're back here. 'Excuses' vs 'Reasons'.

I thought you sound awful familiar. Now I know. Which one were you?

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
That's it, bellow it out. Beat your chest for the benefit of everyone listening! You're not being performative enough, why not string the platitude out as much as you can?

I think it's pitiful and awful, your determination to growl and spit at people for not feeling the agony you clearly want to spread. The next stop on your little journey is to call me 'not genuine', try to portray my support as worth less than yours.

Remind me. How does my attitude affect what the club does, at all? How does your pain and - loud - whining change our fates for the better onfield?

The difference between us is that I am more interested in the why than the what; why we lost, than the fact we lost. You can't get beyond the emotion to the rational.

Bleat your pitifulness elsewhere, you febrile mewling thing.
It’s a forum of opinions. If you disagree, then that’s ok, surely not ?
telling someone to how to express their opinions is plain wrong. I hope you can see the difference there G.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s a forum of opinions. If you disagree, then that’s ok, surely not ?
telling someone to how to express their opinions is plain wrong. I hope you can see the difference there G.
This is exceedingly silly. One can make an opinion or an argument poorly; you made that very point to me over in the 'opinions' thread, in the deleted posts.

I still think you sound awfully familiar.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
This is exceedingly silly. One can make an opinion or an argument poorly; you made that very point to me over in the 'opinions' thread, in the deleted posts.

I still think you sound awfully familiar.
Worry about yourself G
Stick to the topic at hand amd again, I’ll reiterate.

Just because you have a different opinion to another doesn’t make you right. Read some of the lyrics from The Beatles “Fixing a hole”

You may get a grasp and a hint of being a tad more humble to others.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Worry about yourself G
Stick to the topic at hand amd again, I’ll reiterate.

Just because you have a different opinion to another doesn’t make you right. Read some of the lyrics from The Beatles “Fixing a hole”
By reiterate, you mean rephrase. You've changed the argument. First, I was wrong to question how someone argues, now I'm not wrong for questioning how someone argues but that doesn't mean I'm right, either?

And I'm not sure where I said I was right. I object to the notion of being 'content' with mediocrity, because I want understand why we lose. Foremost, it is through understanding what makes good teams good and why they win as well as what makes us good or poor and why we win or lose that I can see a route towards improvement.

It is only through shutting ones mind to the why that you can approach a game like the one against Port and start apportioning a steadily worse moral defeat the longer we discuss it.

And, honestly? I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. Do you?
You may get a grasp and a hint of being a tad more humble to others.
It's a mite curious, my friend. You treat me as though you have a long familiarity with me, my posting style, my supposed lack of humility. If you're so new round here, how do you know me so well?

Again, I find this curious, so I'll take it under advisement.

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Sa
By reiterate, you mean rephrase. You've changed the argument. First, I was wrong to question how someone argues, now I'm not wrong for questioning how someone argues but that doesn't mean I'm right, either?

And I'm not sure where I said I was right. I object to the notion of being 'content' with mediocrity, because I want understand why we lose. Foremost, it is through understanding what makes good teams good and why they win as well as what makes us good or poor and why we win or lose that I can see a route towards improvement.

It is only through shutting ones mind to the why that you can approach a game like the one against Port and start apportioning a steadily worse moral defeat the longer we discuss it.

And, honestly? I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. Do you?

It's a mite curious, my friend. You treat me as though you have a long familiarity with me, my posting style, my supposed lack of humility. If you're so new round here, how do you know me so well?

Again, I find this curious, so I'll take it under advisement.
Sad boy. Goodnight.

Back