Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down by 10 but Green Shoots return

Remove this Banner Ad

People didn't seriously expect McKay to win the nom this weekend, it looked better on paper than it did in the game.

Not trying to talk him down or anything and it wasn't a bad game but he got on the end of a couple cheapies.

Expecting much better games from him later this year.
This sort of thing confuses me. Last week Stephenson kicked 5, which included at least a couple of cheapies & he got the RS nom. This week McKay kicks 4, including a couple of cheapies (some might call it good positioning), none of which were Joe the Goose goals, playing only his 3rd game as a KPF & somehow we are expected to accept this performance was not worthy of a RS nom.

A couple of years ago Crippa got robbed of the RS award won by Hogan, because it is harder for a young KPP to perform at such a young age. Last year KPP Charlie Curnow had a very good season, particularly the back half of the season however the performance of a HBF was considered more meritorious. There are more inconsistencies in the RS selections than you will see on holding the ball decisions each week.

This sort of thing confuses me. Last week Stephenson kicked 5, which included at least a couple of cheapies & he got the RS nom. This week McKay kicks 4, including a couple of cheapies (some might call it good positioning), none of which were Joe the Goose goals, playing only his 3rd game as a KPF & somehow we are expected to accept this performance was not worthy of a RS nom.

A couple of years ago Crippa got robbed of the RS award won by Hogan, because it is harder for a young KPP to perform at such a young age. Last year KPP Charlie Curnow had a very good season, particularly the back half of the season however the performance of a HBF was considered more meritorious. There are more inconsistencies in the RS selections than you will see on holding the ball decisions each week.
I think your bias prevents you from judging accurately, Stephensons game was much, much more impactful. Charlie Curnow was great in the 2nd half, McGrath was great all year I have no problem with him beating CC last year. I thought Cripps probably deserved the RS but Hogan kicked 40 and was better than CC in his RS year so I can understand it.

I think your bias prevents you from judging accurately, Stephensons game was much, much more impactful. Charlie Curnow was great in the 2nd half, McGrath was great all year I have no problem with him beating CC last year. I thought Cripps probably deserved the RS but Hogan kicked 40 and was better than CC in his RS year so I can understand it.
Hagan beating Cripps was the wrong decision then, and it remains the wrong decision now. One of these player's reputations have been augmented by their doings on field since, and it isn't Jesse Hogan. The reasoning at the time smacked of finding something, anything, to get Hogan over the line ahead of Cripps, and that they had to build a pretty substantial pretzel of themselves to do it informs of just how good Cripps season was.

Other than that, I'd agree.

Stephenson's RS nomination was as much about the manner of his performance as it was the raw numbers. It's funny that, at the moment, the media and by proxy the public are style focused more now than ever before; Dustin Martin is not the greatest player ever, nor was last year the best individual year ever, yet you can make that argument based on the accolades he won and the glorification he received. Stephenson has something of an attitude about his footy, and he played well; that the statistics back him up made it an easy choice.

McKay's 4 goal performance was promising, but two of those four came from free kicks, one of which was a bit soft and the other simply was the wrong call; one of the other two went straight to him from a hacked kick off Fish's boot - good luck; how often do those hacked kicks land in the hands of an intercept defender? - and the other was a good kick to mark from Jack. When he's earning his goals a little more, then I'll be happy to complement, but until then I'm going to wait and see. Granted, you have to kick straight - and he did, which is a good sign given his kicking in the VFL at times - when it's your turn, and you have to get to the positions in which you get infringed upon, but ultimately trying to build a forward line around the opposition infringing leaves you too open to home ground advantage for me to be comfortable.

Hagan beating Cripps was the wrong decision then, and it remains the wrong decision now. One of these player's reputations have been augmented by their doings on field since, and it isn't Jesse Hogan. The reasoning at the time smacked of finding something, anything, to get Hogan over the line ahead of Cripps, and that they had to build a pretty substantial pretzel of themselves to do it informs of just how good Cripps season was.

Other than that, I'd agree.
As I said Cripps was my choice for RS and who I thought deserved it more but I can understand Hogan winning it.

It's not as bad as Taylor over Bont.

For those not in the know, this is how the Rising Star nomination and eventual winner is decided.

If Carlton has a midfielder killing games, but there is a KPP player doing OK in another team, the KPP wins the nomination and overall award because 'it is a harder position to play'.
However, if Carlton have a KPP killing games, and there is a midfielder doing OK in another team, then the midfielder will win every time.

Basically we may jag a nomination, but the AFL wont allow one of our kids to win it.

For those not in the know, this is how the Rising Star nomination and eventual winner is decided.

If Carlton has a midfielder killing games, but there is a KPP player doing OK in another team, the KPP wins the nomination and overall award because 'it is a harder position to play'.
However, if Carlton have a KPP killing games, and there is a midfielder doing OK in another team, then the midfielder will win every time.

Basically we may jag a nomination, but the AFL wont allow one of our kids to win it.

Not with the current Carlton hating selection panel, excluding Kevin Sheehan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not with the current Carlton hating selection panel, excluding Kevin Sheehan.
To be fair the only player we've had that has had an actual crack is Cripps, he is literally the only one that you can make an argument for.

Very enlightening.

As long as our kids are playing well enough to get nominated, I don't care who wins it.

Cripps was robbed.

Kevin Sheehan was the only one that gave Cripps 5 votes.
He wasn't robbed, I've previously stated that I thought Cripps deserved it more, however what Hogan did that year was also amazing.

Name a 2nd year forward who has done what Hogan did that year, the guy is a gun when he is fit and his output was on a similar level that year.

Anyway it's not as though any of us are in the best place to judge as we're hardly impartial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back