Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down by 90 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the whole game and have been watching all of Carlton's games this year with a neutral interest and I thought I'd share some of my observations (from an outsider perspective) for tonight's game:

Kade Simpson:
I absolutely love this guy and if there was an ANZAC Medal for 1 player on both sides, Simmo or Cripps would get it for tonight. His running efforts are incredible and it's sad that he doesn't get the reward at times (2nd Qtr he busted a gut sprinting from the back pocket to the wing and Marc Murphy missed him by about 20 metres with some putrid outside-of-the-boot kick). Worked his ass off tonight (How about that incredible run-down tackle on Aidyn Johnson in the 3rd that forced a turnover and prevented a walk-in goal?) and his decision making was very very good almost all the time. Hope he keeps playing because any side could use a player with guts like him.

Sam Docherty:
Played entirely midfield in the last quarter pretty much! Found the ball (13 disposals in the final term alone) but there's a lot to be said for how he used it. Didn't seem his calm/composed self and just plonked it on the boot one too many times IMO. I love that he was hard at the ball and constantly looking to tackle and be involved though. Looked himself when playing at half-back but didn't really create much tonight....despite his high stats I actually thought he was average (Maybe Im way off- don't kill me).

Tom Williamson:
I reckon you've got one here, made some great decision by foot in pressure scenarios and read the ball well in flight. Obviously there are elements to his game that show he is still a tad raw but I'd love to see him keep getting the backing from the coaching/playing group.

Sam Rowe:
Gets a fair whack every now and then from fans/observers but I thought he was super gritty tonight. Held Dixon to 2.0 and just 2 marks on a night where Port had 71 Inside 50's and 37 scoring shots.

Charlie Curnow:
Move this kid into the midfield. Has that early Nathan Fyfe-feel about him with the way he just hangs in the air clunks it with two extended dukes. Seems to relish the contest and has the perfect body size to do some damage at stoppages. Had 4 Clangers but I thought his kicking was very good at times. Port Adelaide constantly set up well which hurt his DE% but I liked the way he bobbed up in key pieces of play and took important marks when required.

Jack Silvagni:
Another super talent. May have only kicked 1.1 but his willingness to run his ass off and be involved will do wonders. Once Carlton improve their supply going forward, Jack's Goal numbers are sure to lift. Refused to be phased out of the game which I love.

Andrew Phillips:
Gee whiz he was ordinary wasn't he? Had 29 hitouts but offered absolutely nothing else...I mean EVEN Matthew Lobbe laid 6-7 tackles every time he stunk it up as 1st ruck. I understand Phillips' selection was out of necessity but I think its alarming when the quality gap between the Club's #1 Ruck (Krooooz) and the apparent #2 in Phillips is akin to jumping off Mt.Everest.

Jacob Weitering:
Poor guy is playing forward out of necessity and he has looked decent there the past few weeks. Tonight was a bad one as he dropped marks he'd normally take, having said that with only 38 Inside 50's (A mere 12 after Half Time) he didn't have much opportunity either.

Patrick Cripps:
Best Midfielder/Best Player tonight. Star. Superstar. How the hell is he only 22? Makes me feel insecure about what I've accomplished thus far in life at 23yo.

OVERALL:

I obviously don't have the level of Carlton knowledge that the people on here do, but I thought it'd be interesting to give an outsider perspective (That always helps me whenever I watch the Eagles play).

I thought the gutsy, determined, resilient, persistent and courageous players shone today. There is a ton of talent for the Blues to work with and I dare say that this side will be very very competitive before long...but you can't buy experience and the lights of Adelaide Oval against a full-strength, experienced Power side was always a huge ask for a side with a whopping 12 players under 50 games experience. I really do think patience will pay off with the likes of Macreadie/Fisher/Marchbank/SPS etc.

I'll be watching with interest next Saturday when your boys take on the Swans at the 'G. Best of luck for it!
u r kidding urself re simmo and doc.they both had mares tonight. Especially defensively. Both been average all year.
I know simmo tries hard and all that. But as a defender u actually need to defend. Not just take intercept marks when u have time to set up ur structures and guard grass. Both players been found lacking in this regard over the las 2 seasons imo. Who do u think was manning robbie gray?

Pretty much what I saw.

How did you see the effort after half time? I was dumbfounded at just how flat we were. It was embarrassing .

I was really dissapointed in a few guys. There were three #1 picks out there tonight and none of them should be happy. Murph had no tackles despite having multiple opportunities , Weits appeared to think blocking and running was beneath him. Didn't hate Gibbs game but he just seems to go with the flow, not change it.

Love the venue though .
Fair comment, tough to argue with (even though I only saw it on TV).

Effort after half time? Not much there. Sorry your trip across the Nullaboar wasn't more productive. You can make up for it with a tour of the Barossa or McLaren Vale. Very picturesque this time of year and a few good reds will numb the pain. :'(

The trip is still a winner, we're having a ball but I just can't believe how poor our output was .

Ive come away from that game thinking we can set a defensive zone and thats pretty much it and that the defensive zone shits itself as soon as the opposition decide to stretch it because we can't go with them.

I didn't see anything remotely resembling an offensive plan.

Really like Williamson .
Just looks a class above in all facets of the game even at this very early stage .
Rapt to see C.Curnows performance tonight .
He's been quiet and he would've known it but on the toughest of stages he showed the want and the desire and the effort ... and he emerged .
Fisher looks a very good footballer , has some natural subtleties that can't be taught .

Even for a young team, I failed to understand the gameplan tonight, it was so repetitive kicking long down the line from kickouts or just normal around the ground.. Did Bolton not see that it was not working, why persist? No-one was offering a lead or layed a sheppard to the kicker... Just frustrated that we kicked long all night and I've known it for years, that is not the gameplan for us, we don't have the marking power and even if we did, it's a very lazy style imo...

Robbie Gray is an awesome footballer. He killed us out there tonight, if he kicked straight.......

The difference between a champion and a skier was that tonight Robbie Gray almost looked a bit embarrassed cutting up a young team, while Polec was absolutely revelling in it.

Love Robbie Gray. Awesome footballer.

Whilst a lot of us have accepted the big picture of a rebuild/reset, so many still don't understand how this will play out on a week to week basis. So much blatant negative criticism for things that can only be rectified as time gradually passes.

Supporters have every right to criticise their team, but so much of what I'm reading is completely unnecessary and unconstructive. Where the team is currently at requires significant patience and a focus on the growth of the youth, it's the only way you can stay sane and enjoy the journey.

More of these drubbings will come, not just this year, but also the coming years. We just have to ride the bumps and pump as many games ito these kids as soon as possible. History has consistently shown the jump in performance can come quite suddenly, but we'll have to wait a little while to get there.

RB I reckon we all are on the rebuild bandwagon, you'd have to be freaking nuts not to understand the dire need and the illusion that the club had previously been under. We have had nearly 20 years of snakes with very few ladders. Everyone is frustrated on a number of fronts, say from, salary cap gate, Dennis Pagan, horribly wasted valuable draft picks, Warnock/Jacobs, piss poor administrative appointments, ditto coaching staff, ditto recruiting staff, the AFL dotingly handing out a mind-blowing number of the highest draft picks over multiple years to their pet GWS and Goldcoast clubs, the AFL not balancing out their generosity to the bottom 8 clubs just a tad after the same period, the Mick Malthouse fiasco which included the loss of highly gifted players for little or no return, and the signing of Daisy (nothing against him personally....just looking after his family) on $750,000 a season.

I'm ecstatic that we have SOS and BB on board to sort this shite out. It doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed with various aspects watching a game like that tonight. Then I look at the fixture and cringe. We are going to get whacked and then whacked some more. We haven't played a good team yet let alone a contender. We all understand that it has to happen and that there will be less snakes and more ladders in the future. Nobody thinks this will happen over night either. You also have to understand that it's not just going to be a matter of games and time either. We still have to turnover a large number of players that frankly are not AFL quality and replace them somehow, whether it be by drafting or through free agency.....All still unknowns. We also have some players that are getting longer in the tooth. They will need to be replaced....more kids. Bryce Gibbs will more than likely leave next year....another most likely to be replaced by a kid. Right! Here's another hard bit to swallow. Many of our kids won't make it! Fact! We will have injuries. Fact! Now! unless I'm mistaken during the next few off seasons we will end up with ONE high draft pick, then ANOTHER in the late teens or early twenties, then ANOTHER in the mid to late thirties and so on. Highly speculative, though I have much more confidence in our current recruiting staff. Also, yes also, the AFL will more than likely NOT hand us a priority pick, not this year anyway. Then what would it be...only a pick in the late teens or something even if they do. This is going to be no given people! The club has to get an awful lot right and yes the long road has begun and I'm thankful for it, but, I am a realist and the competition is strong and the road still has many pot holes and detours.

I'm 56 years old and have bled blue my entire life. It is MY RIGHT to be disappointed at times and even angry. I will whine at times, I will swear and throw objects whilst watching Carlton struggle on the TV (I hope it survives the rest of the season). I will also log onto this forum and seek to mix and converse with members of my own race. I WILL SHARE MY FEELINGS!!! Some people have to understand that sometimes these feelings are instant and short lived. We all need to vent and clear our heads. If I'm negative sometimes, I CAN"T HELP IT! See paragraph above of frustrating events and situations. The loss of Eddy Betts singularly on its own eats at my insides! I will get over it, and I will get over all the shite listed above. I crave the "green shoots" and like everyone I DO SEE THEM! I just think it may take a bit longer than many others do.

Just on a finishing note I'd like to ask people not to second guess my loyalty to CFC. I absolutely resent being told to "go support Richmond" and that "I won't be welcome back". All I've stated tonight straight after the game in a fleeting moment is that " I can't watch this anymore". I've read tens and tens of other posts displaying varying degrees of disappointment and yes, even some negativity....jeez would you believe that!

I think that an apology wouldn't go astray!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rapt to see C.Curnows performance tonight .
He's been quiet and he would've known it but on the toughest of stages he showed the want and the desire and the effort ... and he emerged .

Charlie's been good tonight.:cool:

Ed on the other hand.......can't have one good game a month as a senior mid-fielder.

2nd tier player who just hasn't stepped up.

Severe respiratory in the brick (auto correct something, something depleted ruck). We had no chance, we were monstered. Admiral Akhbar....It's a trap alright.

The difference between a champion and a skier was that tonight Robbie Gray almost looked a bit embarrassed cutting up a young team, while Polec was absolutely revelling in it.

Love Robbie Gray. Awesome footballer.
Great point. Trengove same category as Polec. Wines same category as Gray.

Imagine if Gray's body was 100%...

Williamson is the perfect modern defender. Love his run and carry and how hard he is.

Fisher had some good touches and will start pulling teams apart when he builds up and develops his tank. Watching Polec, Fish has a pretty similar game but a bigger ceiling. Polec strikes me as a flat track bully too.

Phillips was awful. Genuinely cumbersome and no connection with the mids, which killed us at stoppages. If Kreuz is right to go next week we need to make that swap. Understand it was Phillips first game for the year, but he was shocking and can't compete at ground level or in the air. Looked lost.

Liked CCurnow and finally saw some real footy nous. We have such a good ground of young forwards with Weitering, Silvagni, Curnow and soon McKay up there. I think Curnow will eventually operate off a wing though.

Some big overreaction re Weitering into defence. Any young key position forward is going to struggle with limited entries, and poor ones at that. He straightens us up so much but he's going to have some quiet games. As a defender it's easier to stay in the game. Will grow as a forward as the team does, and his quiet games aren't an indictment on him. Has good smarts in the forwardline, which we really lack.

Simpson is regressing and it's showing unfortunately. Some awful turnovers and overcommitted himself on a few occasions. I dunno if he still has the read on the game he used to have, as he's doing basic things badly. Love the bloke, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't his last year. The growth in guys like Plowman and Williamson will also be detrimental to him.

Overall, boring game as a Carlton supporter. Kind of felt like watching some of those earlier JLT matches with how little pressure we were putting on, and fundamentally how little ball we had. Have to keep investing in the draft as SPS, Fisher, Macreadie, Polson and Williamson are testament to our strategy. I think we can be pretty confident in that group.

Look, sorry mate, probably took that a bit far.

But the thought of supporters abandoning us right now because we're playing a team of kids that are going to get beaten up from time to time really irks me.

Apology accepted.
It's good because I asked for one in a latter post.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back