Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down by 90 points

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by The Old Dark Navy's, Apr 21, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Stiffler's Dad

Stiffler's Dad All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Hungarian Women's Nude Road Bowls
    Everyone's queuing up for their right to a percentage boost.
    I can't watch this anymore.

thylacine60 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. ParapMarkets

ParapMarkets Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Well done to Casboult! He's been good this year and was very important for us tonight. Nice job converting goals when the likes of Gibbs, Murphy, Cripps were missing sitters.

Bluella, koutamarto, Smegger and 7 others like this.
  3. Wilson14

Wilson14 Rookie

Carlton
    Other teams:
    As painful as it was to watch, and as bad as the beers will taste this weekend there were again some positives.

C. Curnow played a ripper game, was calling for him to be dropped a few weeks back but tonight he showed everything from constested marking to the brilliant kick into the middle.

Couple of the other kids showed good signs again and if they made mistakes at least they were positive, can't wait for the end of the year though to cut some of this deadwood

4. SE_Blue

SE_Blue Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
    Gotta have Weitering back next week surely?

TooBlue14 and kingkingston like this.
  5. Kernafides

Kernafides Senior List

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Poor game all round. Not confident enough to take risks. Moved the ball too slowly allowing port to get back. As such limited effective forward entries. Horrible pressure and tackling average. Anyone potting the defenders rowe simmo etc have no idea. Relentless forward entries. Mature mids disappointing and forward 50 pressure needs to improve. Not the time to pot players

Cutz likes this.
  6. PumpyChowdown

PumpyChowdown Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    SUNS Maple Leafs Titans Liverpool
    Polson showed signs too.

Cutz and HBF like this.
  7. bluemahogany

bluemahogany All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Miami Heat, Manchester United
    We are still too damn tall in defence, like seriously, need something dynamic back, last year our best run was with 4 small defenders. Obviously we can't play Byrne and Tuohy, but we have to try something, 5 players over 190 is ridiculous.

motleyblues, Feva and Azul like this.
  8. Chookaradley

Chookaradley Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Does anyone know how many of these type losses we can expect during our rebuild. Id just like to count them down if thats ok....

9. Sir Basil of Perth

Sir Basil of Perth Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Coney Island Warriors
    Should have also added I speak from experience. Misery was my mantra for almost thirty years until 2016.

10. RoyalParade

RoyalParade Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Great post

11. Jabba73

Jabba73 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Vixens
    Now we are getting somewhere.

koutamarto likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. TerryWallet

TerryWallet Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Macreadie is absolutely fine.

Leave the backline to continually develop. Macreadie, Plowman, Marchbank and Williamson have been grand this year for where they are at development wise. Leave Rowe with them helping them out...

....and concentrate on our actual problems is my opinion. Leadership and a severe lack of consistent senior players and a complete dearth of middle aged AFL players.

13. TooBlue14

TooBlue14 Suspended

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Macreadie is taking weitering defensive spot. So weird plays forward and does **** all. Weits is better and should play his natural position. And a natural forward that can kicks goals should play forward and develop. We are so ******* keen to bring in kids to develop, why not forwards, McKay, Jaksch, anyone,?

Cutz, F the Rest and Soapy V like this.
  14. Stiffler's Dad

Stiffler's Dad All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Hungarian Women's Nude Road Bowls
    My cat is still available for selection.
    Just saying!

Jabba73 likes this.
  15. RudyBlue

RudyBlue Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Melbourne and St Kilda were still getting smacked at times last year, but they kept to their path. Get used to it.

Bluella, AB_Blue, Navara79 and 7 others like this.
  16. Aphrodite

Aphrodite Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    "Goddess"
    Someone please tell me that 3rd qtr didn't happen!

Dramoth likes this.
  17. Iamcarlton

Iamcarlton Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Desperately need more run off half back and midfield i think Macreadie or white go back to the reserves . Did show composure though .

18. Salt Lake Cities

Salt Lake Cities Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Thunder, Cowboys
    Williamson, Plowman, Jack, happy with them. Charlie showed exactly why he needs to be in the ones every week. Fish and Polson show good signs.

7 teenagers, not sure what we expect. It'll happen again, more than once, buckle up. I'm quite optimistic about our future in 2-3 years.

Oh, Patrick Cripps. Leader of men. Skipper next season thanks.

19. Soapy V

Soapy V Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    This is what we need to remember. The kids will be inconsistent but will get better. It's just time. Pickett or SPS could easily come out and have a blinder next week. Macreadie as well. Fisher looks real close. Williamson just does a little bit more each week. When they all step up watch out

20. rp84

rp84 Premiership Player

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
    Just play writers at chb. He is the best player at the club. Build around him. Not our weaknesses

F the Rest and Soapy V like this.
  21. SBYM

SBYM I don't want any of your blasted tapes!

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, AS Roma
    I hope you don't mind me highlighting this for some of my fellow Baggers...

Some of you need to harden the **** up.

We all wanted a proper rebuild, this is what it looks like. Enjoy the positives, don't dwell on the negatives, and stick your 'I've had enough talk' where the sun don't shine.

Good day.

Hate, Cutz, Bluella and 15 others like this.
  22. Biggus

Biggus Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    We wont win another game this year.

if that's our best, theres not a team in the VFL...err AFL we would beat.
    Laughin at people talking it up, Lyon and Spud on SEN "if I was a blues fan I'd be very happy with what I'm seeing"...
    WTF?

Murphy 0 tackles for the Game LMAO!!!!

23. ParapMarkets

ParapMarkets Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Charlie was awesome tonight! So many contested and intercept marks. I hear people compare him to Kouta and it always kinda irks me because he isn't as athletic as Kouta (but he is taller). I must admit though I actually did think there was a bit of Kouta in his game tonight.

24. Mr_Plow

Mr_Plow That name again...

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Red Wings, 76ers & Tennessee Titans
    Have you guys won a game?

Aphrodite likes this.
  25. tribalchief

tribalchief Draftee

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I watched the whole game and have been watching all of Carlton's games this year with a neutral interest and I thought I'd share some of my observations (from an outsider perspective) for tonight's game:

Kade Simpson:
    I absolutely love this guy and if there was an ANZAC Medal for 1 player on both sides, Simmo or Cripps would get it for tonight. His running efforts are incredible and it's sad that he doesn't get the reward at times (2nd Qtr he busted a gut sprinting from the back pocket to the wing and Marc Murphy missed him by about 20 metres with some putrid outside-of-the-boot kick). Worked his ass off tonight (How about that incredible run-down tackle on Aidyn Johnson in the 3rd that forced a turnover and prevented a walk-in goal?) and his decision making was very very good almost all the time. Hope he keeps playing because any side could use a player with guts like him.

Sam Docherty:
    Played entirely midfield in the last quarter pretty much! Found the ball (13 disposals in the final term alone) but there's a lot to be said for how he used it. Didn't seem his calm/composed self and just plonked it on the boot one too many times IMO. I love that he was hard at the ball and constantly looking to tackle and be involved though. Looked himself when playing at half-back but didn't really create much tonight....despite his high stats I actually thought he was average (Maybe Im way off- don't kill me).

Tom Williamson:
    I reckon you've got one here, made some great decision by foot in pressure scenarios and read the ball well in flight. Obviously there are elements to his game that show he is still a tad raw but I'd love to see him keep getting the backing from the coaching/playing group.

Sam Rowe:
    Gets a fair whack every now and then from fans/observers but I thought he was super gritty tonight. Held Dixon to 2.0 and just 2 marks on a night where Port had 71 Inside 50's and 37 scoring shots.

Charlie Curnow:
    Move this kid into the midfield. Has that early Nathan Fyfe-feel about him with the way he just hangs in the air clunks it with two extended dukes. Seems to relish the contest and has the perfect body size to do some damage at stoppages. Had 4 Clangers but I thought his kicking was very good at times. Port Adelaide constantly set up well which hurt his DE% but I liked the way he bobbed up in key pieces of play and took important marks when required.

Jack Silvagni:
    Another super talent. May have only kicked 1.1 but his willingness to run his ass off and be involved will do wonders. Once Carlton improve their supply going forward, Jack's Goal numbers are sure to lift. Refused to be phased out of the game which I love.

Andrew Phillips:
    Gee whiz he was ordinary wasn't he? Had 29 hitouts but offered absolutely nothing else...I mean EVEN Matthew Lobbe laid 6-7 tackles every time he stunk it up as 1st ruck. I understand Phillips' selection was out of necessity but I think its alarming when the quality gap between the Club's #1 Ruck (Krooooz) and the apparent #2 in Phillips is akin to jumping off Mt.Everest.

Jacob Weitering:
    Poor guy is playing forward out of necessity and he has looked decent there the past few weeks. Tonight was a bad one as he dropped marks he'd normally take, having said that with only 38 Inside 50's (A mere 12 after Half Time) he didn't have much opportunity either.

Patrick Cripps:
    Best Midfielder/Best Player tonight. Star. Superstar. How the hell is he only 22? Makes me feel insecure about what I've accomplished thus far in life at 23yo.

OVERALL:

I obviously don't have the level of Carlton knowledge that the people on here do, but I thought it'd be interesting to give an outsider perspective (That always helps me whenever I watch the Eagles play).

I thought the gutsy, determined, resilient, persistent and courageous players shone today. There is a ton of talent for the Blues to work with and I dare say that this side will be very very competitive before long...but you can't buy experience and the lights of Adelaide Oval against a full-strength, experienced Power side was always a huge ask for a side with a whopping 12 players under 50 games experience. I really do think patience will pay off with the likes of Macreadie/Fisher/Marchbank/SPS etc.

I'll be watching with interest next Saturday when your boys take on the Swans at the 'G. Best of luck for it!