Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down by 90 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the whole game and have been watching all of Carlton's games this year with a neutral interest and I thought I'd share some of my observations (from an outsider perspective) for tonight's game:

Kade Simpson:
I absolutely love this guy and if there was an ANZAC Medal for 1 player on both sides, Simmo or Cripps would get it for tonight. His running efforts are incredible and it's sad that he doesn't get the reward at times (2nd Qtr he busted a gut sprinting from the back pocket to the wing and Marc Murphy missed him by about 20 metres with some putrid outside-of-the-boot kick). Worked his ass off tonight (How about that incredible run-down tackle on Aidyn Johnson in the 3rd that forced a turnover and prevented a walk-in goal?) and his decision making was very very good almost all the time. Hope he keeps playing because any side could use a player with guts like him.

Sam Docherty:
Played entirely midfield in the last quarter pretty much! Found the ball (13 disposals in the final term alone) but there's a lot to be said for how he used it. Didn't seem his calm/composed self and just plonked it on the boot one too many times IMO. I love that he was hard at the ball and constantly looking to tackle and be involved though. Looked himself when playing at half-back but didn't really create much tonight....despite his high stats I actually thought he was average (Maybe Im way off- don't kill me).

Tom Williamson:
I reckon you've got one here, made some great decision by foot in pressure scenarios and read the ball well in flight. Obviously there are elements to his game that show he is still a tad raw but I'd love to see him keep getting the backing from the coaching/playing group.

Sam Rowe:
Gets a fair whack every now and then from fans/observers but I thought he was super gritty tonight. Held Dixon to 2.0 and just 2 marks on a night where Port had 71 Inside 50's and 37 scoring shots.

Charlie Curnow:
Move this kid into the midfield. Has that early Nathan Fyfe-feel about him with the way he just hangs in the air clunks it with two extended dukes. Seems to relish the contest and has the perfect body size to do some damage at stoppages. Had 4 Clangers but I thought his kicking was very good at times. Port Adelaide constantly set up well which hurt his DE% but I liked the way he bobbed up in key pieces of play and took important marks when required.

Jack Silvagni:
Another super talent. May have only kicked 1.1 but his willingness to run his ass off and be involved will do wonders. Once Carlton improve their supply going forward, Jack's Goal numbers are sure to lift. Refused to be phased out of the game which I love.

Andrew Phillips:
Gee whiz he was ordinary wasn't he? Had 29 hitouts but offered absolutely nothing else...I mean EVEN Matthew Lobbe laid 6-7 tackles every time he stunk it up as 1st ruck. I understand Phillips' selection was out of necessity but I think its alarming when the quality gap between the Club's #1 Ruck (Krooooz) and the apparent #2 in Phillips is akin to jumping off Mt.Everest.

Jacob Weitering:
Poor guy is playing forward out of necessity and he has looked decent there the past few weeks. Tonight was a bad one as he dropped marks he'd normally take, having said that with only 38 Inside 50's (A mere 12 after Half Time) he didn't have much opportunity either.

Patrick Cripps:
Best Midfielder/Best Player tonight. Star. Superstar. How the hell is he only 22? Makes me feel insecure about what I've accomplished thus far in life at 23yo.

OVERALL:

I obviously don't have the level of Carlton knowledge that the people on here do, but I thought it'd be interesting to give an outsider perspective (That always helps me whenever I watch the Eagles play).

I thought the gutsy, determined, resilient, persistent and courageous players shone today. There is a ton of talent for the Blues to work with and I dare say that this side will be very very competitive before long...but you can't buy experience and the lights of Adelaide Oval against a full-strength, experienced Power side was always a huge ask for a side with a whopping 12 players under 50 games experience. I really do think patience will pay off with the likes of Macreadie/Fisher/Marchbank/SPS etc.

I'll be watching with interest next Saturday when your boys take on the Swans at the 'G. Best of luck for it!
Excellent analysis. Feel free to make it a weekly appearance.

It's a shame opposition supporters are showing more understanding than those in our own camp.

No amount of gun key forwards would have helped us tonight .
Agree. Though sadly some fans, like my own dad, were literally saying during the game "a kingdom for a forward!".

Umm, Wayne Carey in his prime would have struggled in our forward-line.

Basically.

Every team going through a rebuild has the occasional smacking where they look and play like utter s**t.
More like constipation pains - still full of crap

BM123 I was going to say "all wind and no crap" but there's hardly a zephyr blowing from them there blue shorts (or white much to my disgust).
I might have to book a ticket to Hungry until this season blows over.

As it was ours, as much as it still hurts to say it given I loved some of the players that left during that time

It's ingrained over time. If set in early, it flourishes

Agree. It's my biggest concern with the senior players we have. Must deflate the kids. Ball use is just so important and we have an ordinary senior group in that area

Just stop.

Murphy's been easily our best player this year.

Things didn't work out for him or our whole team tonight, but i watched the entire game and he gave effort and ran hard from start to finish.
Disappointing he didn't land a single tackle though...but i saw him chasing Port players defensively just didn't catch them.

Cut it out.

He had a shocker. Port were walking thru his tackles all night and running away from him easily.

Two weeks ago some were saying that Charlie Curnow needs a rest. Unless someone plays a blinder for the NB's tomorrow, I would be dropping any of the kids unless they are actually injured. And that includes Weitering.

And we're not doing a Melbourne. Neeld was a joke of a coach. I have far more trust in Bolton.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I disagree, it was over the top tonight. We need to play a lot of youth but we need some more experience out there. This game was always going to be a thumping. And so will all our next games if we play so many young players without the necessary fitness levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily the best game I've seen from Charlie, especially his marking.
Good follow-up from his effort last week by SOS.
Good spot Jimmae regarding Pickett's lack of defensive pressure last week. Same applies tonight, but certainly not on his Pat Malone.
Good to see Simmo's got some edge back about his game in the last couple of weeks.
Sauce back to the Magoos for a month to find some fitness.
Need to make Cripps captain next year. He's leading the team now, as a player, as a leader and also spiritually.
Gibbs needs a foot up the arse. Just going around on cruise control.
I'd give both SPS & Macreadie a rest from footy next week (that includes the NB) and bring them back the week after fresh and then rest another couple for a week.
Don't see the point of going back to Buckley, Boekhorst & Co. They might have reduced the margin from 15 goals to 10 or 11, so we'd only being delaying in advancing towards the future. The kids all need at least a dozen games pumped into them this season. As we can see from Charlie & SOS, a second preseason and a dozen games under the belt makes an enormous difference.

I disagree, it was over the top tonight. We need to play a lot of youth but we need some more experience out there. This game was always going to be a thumping. And so will all our next games if we play so many young players without the necessary fitness levels.

Well Krooz and Thomas will likely come back next week. Phillips goes back to the twos and Bolton and co will need to consider whether they drop a Pickett or a Polson for Daisy. I personally think it's a backward step. I also think it's a backward step playing Kerridge, Graham or Boekhurst just because their older. They've shown us what they can do and it ain't that impressive.

If the difference is losing by 10 goals and playing a few older guys vs 15 goals and playing the kids I'll always stump for the latter.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gibbs must be looking at Adelaide and wondering what could have been. He could have reunited with Eddie, Jacobs and Menzel.
Just so, so lazy. If it's not clear, I'm referring to your response here.

I don't know what people were expecting. No-one (and I do mean no-one) is as good at piling on the goals when things are going their way than Port Adelaide. They got a run on early, and whilst we went through patches where we equaled their endeavor around the ball they just downhill skied their way towards goals you always knew they were going to kick.

We had two consecutive six day breaks; we played 7 teenagers in the side; we played away from home, against a side notorious for being significantly better at home than away. If you add to that the complete lack of scoreboard pressure we placed on them, we were always going to find this a hard match. At no point did we challenge them for the result of the match, which allowed them to play their best footy.

The third term was putrid, with everyone hitting the wall at the same time. Disposal went, tackling went, and any semblance of gameplan went out the window. There were several of their best who played very well, and that loss could very well have gone a lot worse; even though we were our usual selves in front of goal - with the surprising exception of Levi, good work from him today - they missed a LOT of very gettable shots in the third and fourth.

Ah well. A loss is a loss. Sun'll still come up tomorrow.

Agree. Though sadly some fans, like my own dad, were literally saying during the game "a kingdom for a forward!".

Umm, Wayne Carey in his prime would have struggled in our forward-line.
The lack of pressure applied to them through the midfield and at stoppages was appalling they moved the ball at will through handball under little pressure . Our midfield is miles away yet .

It really highlighted what Kreuzer does in the middle for us. The pressure, the 1%ers, the little touches, deflections. Our pressure in the centre square was almost non existent.

Depends. If we have "good" experience I would agree but we don't. It's just bringing in more average players with poor ball use. What does that achieve? IMO doesn't help at all no matter how experienced. Adding a Thomas or Palmer or Kerridge tonight would have made bugger all difference

I hate to sink the boot in after a loss, but Phillips needs to do more than just take hit outs.

I'll cut him some slack coz he's lacking fitness and game time, but he's going to have to show more than that around the ground once fully fit.
Nicely said Mr Bueller. The difference of having Kreuzer out there was immense. People keep talking about us losing Kreuzer for a pick around 20 but I just don't think we can afford to with our awful ruck depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back