Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down to Saints by 3 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

We're definitely not far off...Saints are a pretty damn good team at Marvel, they beat Richmond & the Dogs comfortably in pretty much the exact same way.

In the end we only lost by 3 goals despite:
  • Us having another poor start...we actually outscored them in the last 3 quarters
  • Wrong end of some pretty harsh ump calls (not the reason we lost, but didn't help)
  • Us giving away cheap goals - Jones x 2 with poor switches really hurt us and killed our momentum and comeback in the 3rd. Martin, Cripps (free kicks from bumps after player had kicked the ball) & I believe Harry's 50m penalty all led to goals not directly, but at the end of the play from the free kick.
  • A number of players having poor games below their usual standard - Cripps (first half), Doc (tagged out), Casboult (shocker), Jones (2 turnover goals), Weitering (beaten by King), Pittonet (beaten by Marshall), Gov & Harry (no influence), Willo & Newnes (some poor disposals and decisions) etc
I actually don't mind the bumps after the player had kicked the ball, provided they're hard.

I want opposition to actively be thinking about how hard they're gonna get hit after they dispose of the ball if we're an inch or so late. If that means we concede downfield frees, so be it.

I actually don't mind the bumps after the player had kicked the ball, provided they're hard.

I want opposition to actively be thinking about how hard they're gonna get hit after they dispose of the ball if we're an inch or so late. If that means we concede downfield frees, so be it.

I don’t mind it either. Unfortunately, we don’t have many physical and aggressive players where this comes naturally besides Martin. Even Cripps looks unnatural, despite being a massive unit.

I really didn’t like how we attempted to be physical on the weekend. It just showed that we were flustered and didn’t know how to respond. Being second to the ball didn’t help either.

I prefer when players show aggression to winning the Sherrin than towards the opposition.

I don’t mind it either. Unfortunately, we don’t have many physical and aggressive players where this comes naturally besides Martin. Even Cripps looks unnatural, despite being a massive unit.

I really didn’t like how we attempted to be physical on the weekend. It just showed that we were flustered and didn’t know how to respond. Being second to the ball didn’t help either.

I prefer when players show aggression to winning the Sherrin than towards the opposition.
I really don't mind either way.

Some weeks, you're gonna get pinged for it. Others, not only are you going to get away with it, but your opposition are going to go back into their shells because of it. I'd like us to bring it out whenever challenged physically, but if it's there all the time I really don't care about the downside.

I really don't mind either way.

Some weeks, you're gonna get pinged for it. Others, not only are you going to get away with it, but your opposition are going to go back into their shells because of it. I'd like us to bring it out whenever challenged physically, but if it's there all the time I really don't care about the downside.

I agree, but depends how you execute it. What we did on the weekend was meek...wasn’t like it ruffled StK.

I agree, but depends how you execute it. What we did on the weekend was meek...wasn’t like it ruffled StK.
Were St Kilda there to be ruffled?

As I said, I don't care who we do it against (as long as we don't do it against the dogs; they'll rev up like anything). I just want us to knock a few opposition into next week ever now and then, just to let them know we could do it at any time.

Let me put it this way: I spent years as a tagger. I never threw a punch, but I knew precisely what I could do to get inside someone's head, mess around with their mindset and their game. You don't have to be a thug to get a point across physically, and you don't need to do it every week to let them know you've got it if you want to use it. Just, you need to every now and then, knock someone on their arse when they weren't expecting it. It can make an entire side tentative at the right time.

I do when it costs us goals and momentum.

There are smarter ways to be hard and aggressive that help us win games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back