Autopsy Rd 5 Blues go down to Saints by 3 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Along the journey it is inevitable that we hit road blocks like last night.

Remember we are coming out of years of the worst period of on field performance in the clubs history.

We are 2 and 3. In most losses up to our eyes, should have definitely snagged 1 more.

A switched on carlton would have won yesterday.

I personally think we are tracking ok.

Will win more games.

Will lose more games.

But I genuinely believe we can win every game from what I’ve been seeing lately.

Been a loooong time since I genuinely felt this way.

Join me, come at me or ignore me, makes zero difference.

We’re on the up.

I haven’t heard many people talking about the decision to draft McGrath ahead of McCluggage, that was a bit of a surprise at the time and it’s not looking like a good one.

Walsh had a fantastic first year, it’s really hard to see any legitimacy that it was the wrong decision, especially since all recruiters, with the exception of GWS, said at the time they would have taken Walsh. There are some concerns I have with how our youngsters are tracking, but Walsh certainly isn’t one of them.

Please don’t pay attention to Kornes...he knows he is talking crap...he says things to make headlines only and keeps getting gigs because people ‘love to hate him’...

I completely understand media personas wanting to be controversial from time to time to get a bit of the spotlight, but that’s all Kornes does and he is fast changing from “controversial” to “embarrassing” and “irrelevant”..A direction we have to keep pushing

bottom line is, the more we talk about the rubbish he says, good or bad, the more likely he stays on the air...so we should simply stop talking about his viewpoints

We lost by 3 goals and believe we played terribly. Albeit we scored some junk time goals, there is plenty of upside. Nothing to be worried about at the moment.

Teague was out-coached by BR, he made some changes but by the time he swung those around it was much too late. Cripps forward seemed to bring him heaps of confidence but probably should have been done sooner than in the 3rd. Simmo onto Geary again was a good move but again by the time they made the move it was too late. I'd like to see some sort of contingency plan in place for when the 3 talls fail to have an input, possibly McGovern to the back line or even Harry Mac into the ruck.

FWIW I think Pittonet got badly beaten by Marshall, but I firmly believe he will get beaten up by the athletic type ruckmen.

Plenty of upside for us. Not all doom and gloom. Go blues!

Walsh will play a lot of games, a lot of really good/great games over his career, especially as his body matures

While I didn't see him as the best longterm prospect back then, nor now, selecting him wasn't a mistake, we could have just done better

McCluggage was a standout back then, but McGrath isnt a bad footballer either

It's about eliminating busts, bonus if you pick the best available at every pick
I’ve seen you give the “it’s all about eliminating busts” line before, I disagree with that. It’s part of the equation sure, but upside is extremely important, there’s a balance. You don’t take Seb Ross at number 1 because you know he is going to plod along and pad his stats and survive and not be a bust, if you can recruit a Fyfe you do so. Of course the recruiters sometimes take it too far and overlook good players for potential star players. Worpel is a good recent example of that, sure there are limitations to his game but more than half the players taken before him won’t play 25 games.

I didn't get to watch the game last night but have just watched it on YouTube thanks to the Carlton Blues channel, and I think watching the game knowing the result means you can have a less emotional response.

I feel like we turned up to play but everything was just a little bit off. Just a bounce of the ball here, a kick that falls a metre short there, a 50/50 umpiring decision that goes the other way and we would've been far more competitive. A perfect example was Casboult kicking his first set shot out on the full which was followed up by Philp missing a chance, then the ball goes down the other end and we're suddenly two goals down instead of level. You just have to seize the first opportunities that come your way because you'll get punished.

Overall I don't think we were that bad, and I think the short quarters really undermine one of our strengths which is our endurance as well as the sustainability of our setups. I think in both offence and defence we have high percentage game plans for which the larger the sample size, the more likely the odds will be in our favour. Like with any game of chance, you can have a skewed run over a short period, but most games have seen us finishing quarters and games stronger than the opposition which is a good sign.

From an individual perspective, I continue to love Jack Martin. What a jet! It's generally good to see Williamson playing quite assertively and he should only continue to improve with more game time. On the negative, Harry is just so abject when things aren't going his way, he just becomes a liability if he isn't marking the ball. I don't think they'll make a change for next week but he'd want to pull his finger out.

I didn't get to watch the game last night but have just watched it on YouTube thanks to the Carlton Blues channel, and I think watching the game knowing the result means you can have a less emotional response.

I feel like we turned up to play but everything was just a little bit off. Just a bounce of the ball here, a kick that falls a metre short there, a 50/50 umpiring decision that goes the other way and we would've been far more competitive. A perfect example was Casboult kicking his first set shot out on the full which was followed up by Philp missing a chance, then the ball goes down the other end and we're suddenly two goals down instead of level. You just have to seize the first opportunities that come your way because you'll get punished.

Overall I don't think we were that bad, and I think the short quarters really undermine one of our strengths which is our endurance as well as the sustainability of our setups. I think in both offence and defence we have high percentage game plans for which the larger the sample size, the more likely the odds will be in our favour. Like with any game of chance, you can have a skewed run over a short period, but most games have seen us finishing quarters and games stronger than the opposition which is a good sign.

From an individual perspective, I continue to love Jack Martin. What a jet! It's generally good to see Williamson playing quite assertively and he should only continue to improve with more game time. On the negative, Harry is just so abject when things aren't going his way, he just becomes a liability if he isn't marking the ball. I don't think they'll make a change for next week but he'd want to pull his finger out.
Good post and your right our overall game style is much more sustainable than say a Saints or GC, it is actually similar in a lot of ways to Pies but they have played it for a lot longer and with more mature heads, on the plus side we have much better marking targets and this will pay much bigger dividends given time.

Good post and your right our overall game style is much more sustainable than say a Saints or GC, it is actually similar in a lot of ways to Pies but they have played it for a lot longer and with more mature heads, on the plus side we have much better marking targets and this will pay much bigger dividends given time.
Yep, and I think it's the development of our power athletes over the next couple of years in Cuningham, Dow, Stocker, Kemp and Honey that will have a big say in our ability to start games better and match our opponents for explosiveness when they're fresh.

Last edited:
Along the journey it is inevitable that we hit road blocks like last night.

Remember we are coming out of years of the worst period of on field performance in the clubs history.

We are 2 and 3. In most losses up to our eyes, should have definitely snagged 1 more.

A switched on carlton would have won yesterday.

I personally think we are tracking ok.

Will win more games.

Will lose more games.

But I genuinely believe we can win every game from what I’ve been seeing lately.

Been a loooong time since I genuinely felt this way.

Join me, come at me or ignore me, makes zero difference.

We’re on the up.

I’m generally an optimist as well but last night was a killer.

I firmly believe now that we don’t have the right mix of players. Simply we are not hard enough.

Lots of nice players and potential but where is the grunt? Not simmo, or Murf, or Doc, or SPS, or Setters, or Eddie, or Harry, or Plow, or Walshy, or Newnsy, or Gibbo, or cunners, or MCLovin. Such a long list of nice players who do nice things.

Reckon this is the issue that inhibits development of the young players most. When they walk out on the field do they feel invincible or do they look around and think, geez who am I going into war with?

Take a close look at Philp in his first two games. never look comfortable.

I think our endeavour is great but our lack of hardness is being exposed early in games when the intensity is at its highest..

We are in trouble in my view and need to start picking (and trading in) players who add grunt and impose themselves on the opposition.

Who would you be more inspired by as a leader, Luke Hodge or Marc Murphy
Different players. Murphy at that point more ability, skilled. We didnt and still dont have the bulls to protect the herd. Hodge scared our guys and i dont think we have overcome that. Hodge should have been made to pay physically at some point soon thereafter. The fact that Hawks could play games afterwards and still win without their 'leader' says a lot too.
Same deal for Judd and now to a lesser extent Cripps. We had half a squad of list clogging little blokes that couldnt square up even if they wanted too. The nice guy response from Carlton wasnt supported by the AFL. Still isnt.

Reading the match day thread on Jonesy trying to switch from deep in defense.
It did not pay off, but could it be said he was trying to take the game on and use Carltons run outside to advantage? With this team, if we cant hit up Cas or a tall down the wing, why cant we use out speed in the open? It concerns me we have 'light' guys that arent faster/more skilled and cant burn off the bigger bodies outside. If we have these players we need to be able to play this style of game, take the game on in critical areas to break the zone straight away.
We cant rugby maul our way up and down the field like other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to be rude, but ignoring that result would be a terrible idea.

They targeted our game. This is one of the first times our game has been targeted, instead of opposition merely backing themselves to 'play their way'. We need to go over that game with a fine toothed comb, and we need to work out where we can either adjust or where we need to simply be better, because as we improve - and we are improving - more teams will do this to us.

Pittonet (for all his guts and determination) needs to be shelved. bring in a runner for him.
Cas and Mckay to rotate the ruck duties. leaving the Gov forward. (time is short with the Gov, time to pay or no play).
Swap Crippa and Doc roles. Crippa at half back ( not for long, Just for WTF). Need to throw the opposition way off.

Murphy will be playing next year. Touch and go for simpson... others still havent taken their spot....
I do think it is getting close now though. Murph has been booted from the midfield. He is playing wing/half forward and many others (Philp, Cunners, SOS, Fish) are pushing for those half forward spots now.

Willo is one we have to be patient with. He's missed so much footy for a young bloke and as you say he's a serious asset for us. We have far greater issues at present than Willo imo.
Agree HBF but he did hurt us pretty badly. I watched the replay and he was worse than I thought first time through.

I’m generally an optimist as well but last night was a killer.

I firmly believe now that we don’t have the right mix of players. Simply we are not hard enough.

Lots of nice players and potential but where is the grunt? Not simmo, or Murf, or Doc, or SPS, or Setters, or Eddie, or Harry, or Plow, or Walshy, or Newnsy, or Gibbo, or cunners, or MCLovin. Such a long list of nice players who do nice things.

Reckon this is the issue that inhibits development of the young players most. When they walk out on the field do they feel invincible or do they look around and think, geez who am I going into war with?

Take a close look at Philp in his first two games. never look comfortable.

I think our endeavour is great but our lack of hardness is being exposed early in games when the intensity is at its highest..

We are in trouble in my view and need to start picking (and trading in) players who add grunt and impose themselves on the opposition.

Agree with everything you say.

Expect to feel like you’ve been killed again more times this year.

Massive fail last night
Teague has improved our game plan by moving the ball on and emphasising kicking through the coridoor but our dynamics are appalling. The part of football that happens above the shoulders is poor: competitiveness, tackling, hardness, assertivness are all missing. This a reflection of weak and soft players and administators. It starts from a president who struggles to assert himself in public and works all the way down through half the playing group

That's interesting, I would be absolutely amazed if any player thinks about the prez when their playing, definitely believe it is a poor mindset from the players but I believe this more about game preparation. We are not switched on from the first bounce, this has to come back on the coaches not from someone sitting at a desk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back