Prediction Rd 5 Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Left field option, but could we play Worner as a defensive forward. He was playing well against Brisbane before he was KO’d

One IN has to be Erasmus. Prior to that Worner was best 22 and played quite well. Walker left a lot to be desired in the defending stakes, same with Draper unfortunately against Carlton. Both inexperienced and understandable. Can’t wait 12 months for Walker to become confident in his knee and go on the scathing runs like Jordy does.

IN: Erasmus, Worner
OUT: Switta, Freddy

Walker forward?

I think we've probably reached critical mass of missing fast forwards and I think it's a big deal given how important team defense is to us. Reckon the Port half backs get a hold of us this week.

Darcy fully fit would make a big difference, but he's clearly not going to be by JL's presser before the Carlton game.

If Nod is fit, he can play full time wing so Banners can be a forward. If not I suppose JoM can play wing and Ras can bench.

In: Darcy, Nod, the next fastest forward who chases
Out: Tabs, Freddy, Switta

I think we swap the roles of JoM and Johnson too.

So, what were the injuries to Swit and Freddy? I seem to have missed that in my rage yesterday.

In- Treacy doing 1000 marks per day until they start to stick.

Darcy for Tabs.

Others ins would depend on how NOD and Simpson go in peel today.

If both play well I would bring them both in for Freddy and Switta. We need to keep the pace forward. JOM or Raz for Jonno. Like others there is concern about JOM and Fyfe in same side.

Our composure in F50 yesterday was shocking. Last year Jonno showed pose in front of goals and could be another option to move fwd.

Worner not playing for Peel so unlikely an option to come in.

Tabs is the issue here (or at least an issue). Others can make the "he gets in [insert player's] way" argument, but I won't even go there.

As you hint at with Treacy, Tabs has been decent at taking and generating shots for himself. Over the 3 games of Tabs-Amiss-Treacy, Tabs has scored 5.2 from 9 shots, which compares favourably to Amiss (4.6 from 12 shots) and Treacy (3.2 from 5 shots). But that's almost literally it.

Tabs has gotten 10 SIs across the 3 games, compared to Amiss and Treacy with 16 each. So Tabs has 3 non-shot score involvements compared to 6 for Amiss and 11 for Treacy. When Tabs isn't scoring, he isn't doing much of anything to affect the scoreboard. Amiss and Treacy also have superior tackle and pressure act numbers to Tabs over those 3 games, though granted with Treacy at least part of that is he 2nd rucks (though conversely, part of why Treacy doesn't get as many shots is he 2nd rucks).

Or to put it another way without the stats, if I watched Treacy's games without the 3 goals, I'd be able to point to many significant contributions. If I watched Amiss' games without his goals, I'd at least be able to point to where he's trying things, and the times he gets up the ground his field kicking is high level (plus his pressure in this game was high level). If I watch a Tabs game without his goals, I'd think he's a liability and the clear worst player on the ground.

If the extra 2 points he's kicked compared to Amiss over 3 games (with Amiss having an unusual cold streak in front of goal) or the extra 2 goals he's kicked compared to Treacy over 3 games (with Treacy playing very high up the ground and playing 2nd ruck) moves you significantly, idk what to say. It doesn't move me.
Pretty simplistic take. Depends what Tab's role is. What if he's drawing the best defender some weeks to give Jye a better run at it. Simple comparison of stats doesn't cut it. I think Taberner will probably lose his spot with Darcy coming in but he's been fine as depth.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty simplistic take. Depends what Tab's role is. What if he's drawing the best defender some weeks to give Jye a better run at it. Simple comparison of stats doesn't cut it. I think Taberner will probably lose his spot with Darcy coming in but he's been fine as depth.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tabs is done. Slow as a semi and not able to apply pressure, not able to play on quickly to next team mate (slow decision maker) and gets out-marked. He is a handy back up but we no where near as effective going into FWD 50 with him in the mix.

I hope Darcy comes in and we move back to Jackson, Treacy and Amiss as our 3 talls in FWD line, Darcy to play 75% ruck

We know JL values stability and that we're not panicking over one game, so...

Outs: Frederick, Switkowski

Ins: O'Meara, Erasmus, Simpson (sub*)

*You know it's true.
Do we need to panic.

No one was horrible.

Yeah a few were a bit off but it was a tight arm wrestle end to end no one gave an inch until the final min when Carlton got on top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we need to panic.

No one was horrible.

Yeah a few were a bit off but it was a tight arm wrestle end to end no one gave an inch until the final min when Carlton got on top.
I'm not saying we need to panic, I'm paraphrasing JLs press conference, we'll just go with the best two available which is JOM and Ras.

Although I realised I completely forgot Darcy, so I've got some thinking to do.

No way I’m putting O’Driscoll in this team without 4-5 weeks of footy. He was rubbish before he got injured, why would he be in before someone like Simpson?
NOD played quite well against WCE witches hats. I agree with your comment though. Also he played exclusively on the wing. I don’t see him playing half forward.

Simpson has played forward line in PS and again for Peel. The real left field option would be Delearn. Played well if a little too selfish at times last weekend. As others have said Sturt is ideal replacement for Frederick but injured and out of form following knee injury in PS.

If Cooper plays a little better than last week I’d expect him to be one of the ins. He was on fire early until thumb injury and tired as the game grew with heavy attention.

Ras and JOM to raffle the other as part of the mid-forward rotation.

Tabs to be replaced by more mobile Jackson in the middle. Darcy into the centre. I love Jackson but I’m growing tired of seeing him jump too early for the centre bounce. Must be a thing though because we were good in the centre clearances. I think we will be more effective with Darcy in the centre clearances more often and Jackson significant upgrade on Tabs.

Tabs to keep putting pressure on Treacy is good.

FB: Aish Pearce Ryan
HB: Clark Draper Walker
C: Brayshaw Fyfe Sharp
HF: Banfield Treacy Erasmus
FF: Walters Amiss Jackson
FOL: Darcy Young Serong

INT: O'Meara Johnson Emmett Hughes
Sub: Simpson

I hate that I had to drop Tabs, he's performed about as well as we could have expected after a long break, but we're just too tall. I even considered him as the sub to swap with Darcy and keep structure, but if someone else went down we'd be ****ed.

Completely different forwards

Voss is a tall, Beattie was a small

All our talls are on the field, all our smalls are injured

I actually looked up what Beattie did at Woodville-West Torrens last week. Couldn’t find his name.

Did he end up returning to Woodville-West Torrens? Because if he did there’s a good chance he might actually be injured as well.

Edit: Didn’t see the post above confirming he’s injured for another ten weeks.

Last edited:
Port's midfield would pose a different kind of challenge to the Adelaide and Carlton midfields which we beat. Butter, Rozee and Horne-Francis much quicker on the spread - though they might have to tinker with what worked for them against Essendon with Wines due to return and Powell-Pepper (although SPP is probably more of stoppage player in their forward half).

If we play Darcy we're obviously changing the set up too.

I suspect they'll move Banfield forward permanently for this game but I'm a bit hesitatnt to change his role. He's been really good executing his role this season and not sure he'll be as impactful as a pure forward.

I suspect they'll move Banfield forward permanently for this game but I'm a bit hesitatnt to change his role. He's been really good executing his role this season and not sure he'll be as impactful as a pure forward.

The cupboard is bare, unfortunately. Not much choice.

I think we should see how Jeremy Cameron plays for Geelong, and give Jackson the same role.

He started forward, was allowed to roam up to the defensive 50, provided an option when the ball was coming out and then pushed back very quickly when Geelong got the ball.

I genuinely think Tabs has been applying better pressure i50 than Amiss has and that’s saying a lot.

Amiss has been pretty ordinary the past three weeks imo.
He ain’t getting dropped but he needs to offer more then he did yesterday.

But I swear just about every year we have a period of three games in a row where we don't have to travel? Last year round 21-23, 2022 rounds 2-4, 2021 rounds 20-22.

Edit: Looks like a consequence of playing at home in round 1. But I still don't understand how we can play two away games in a row in gather round, then play two away games in a row with the bye in between and still the only times we're at home two weeks in a row is with the derbies.

The more I look at it the more it looks like Freo gets an extra week of travel and other sides, like Carlton, get an extra home ground game for it.

Carlton;
Away (Bris)
Home (MCG)
Away (Marvel)
Away (Ade)
Home (Marvel) - playing Adelaide btw

Amiss has been pretty ordinary the past three weeks imo.
He ain’t getting dropped but he needs to offer more then he did yesterday.
mark my words, if Tabs doesn't play, Amiss'll look better.

the understanding between the J's is just more cohesive (already).

no s**t on Tabs, he's played a role past few weeks, but as an ensemble? he's the piece that doesn't fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back