Autopsy Rd 5 Did Blues win? They s**t it in!

Which players do you think played well in Round 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched Bolts’ presser and boy was he proud of the boys. At one stage I thought he was going to tear up! That’s what passion is and Bolts oozes it.

I’m proud of our club. Last week, the media tried damn hard to try and break us but we stood firm, stuck to our guns and didn’t let them spoil our belief.

I know we’ll have some heartache this year but I really hope today was the beginning of our rise back up the ladder.

No looking back now boys. The rest is up to you!

I did declare us as good things mid week so made the six hour round trip and was glad I did. There was a feeling that this was a defining game. Some of the goods were obvious (sps Harry crippa Walsh etc)
Some were a bit less obvious like Jack and gibbons and the whole back 6.
There will be great competition for spots shortly.
Matty kreuzer just adds so much to our club. Would be interesting to see our win/loss ratio had he have been available all season.
Hawthorn/north are both gettable.

I guess we all see it differently and I know most prefer a shorter setup, but I prefer a tall over a small as long as we are as mobile and agile

Of the 19 players that played last week, 14 of 19 improved their efficiency

Player DE% Player DE% Change
Levi Casboult 72.7 Levi Casboult 71.4 1.30
Patrick Cripps 83.8 Patrick Cripps 73.3 10.50
Ed Curnow 56.3 Ed Curnow 47.4 8.90
Paddy Dow 64.7 Paddy Dow 60 4.70
Zac Fisher 85.7 Zac Fisher 55 30.70
Michael Gibbons 66.7 Michael Gibbons 50 16.70
Liam Jones 100 Liam Jones 90.9 9.10
Matthew Kreuzer 78.6
Caleb Marchbank 75 Caleb Marchbank 76.9 -1.90
Mitch McGovern 55.6 Mitch McGovern 83.3 -27.70
Harry McKay 70 Harry McKay 55.6 14.40
Marc Murphy 75 Marc Murphy 72.4 2.60
Nic Newman 85.7 Nic Newman 84.2 1.50
Lochie O'Brien 100 Lochie O'Brien 70 30.00
Sam Petrevski-Seton 88.6 Sam Petrevski-Seton 77.8 10.80
Lachie Plowman 95.5 Lachie Plowman 85.7 9.80
Cameron Polson 75
Jack Silvagni 88.9
Kade Simpson 75 Kade Simpson 90.9 -15.90
Dale Thomas 78.6 Dale Thomas 95 -16.40
Sam Walsh 92.3 Sam Walsh 78.6 13.70
Jacob Weitering 63.6 Jacob Weitering 75 -11.40
Chicken and the egg type stuff. Did we perform better today because our more efficient with our disposal, or was our disposal more efficient because we were running harder than the opposition which in turn meant we were in better positions to receive the ball, or were our opponents lazy and just not providing the required defensive pressure?

In the end, who cares? We won! Yay!

I’ve said on many occasions that I have soft spot for the underdog. A shout out to two of my favourite underdogs after today’s game.

Levi Casboult. He looks like he’s finally got the rig he needs to play footy at the highest level. On a few occasions today I mistook him for McGovern. He appeared quicker off the mark. I loved how he went with Harry to the contest on a few occasions and clunked the mark. And the two bomb goals. * I was rapt for him.

And the ex-captain. He should retire. He’s scared. He can’t hit a target. Well Murph. There’s life in the old dog yet. Congrats to you and your father. A fabulous achievement.

I am a very happy Carlton supporter today. I went to the Gold Coast game last week so this has helped wipe the memory of that awful final minute.
There was a good turn out of Carlton supporters today and we were very loud during the game, especially when Walsh kicked that final goal.
Happy Easter everyone, enjoy.
Thats an aspect I hadnt thought about till now. The final minute. A week is a long time. See what can happen with a team that believes in itself and fights on.
Its up to supporters to believe as well.

Absolutely fantastic atmosphere, my first game in a few years after moving back from a stint O/S - we’ve picked up a drummer in the cheer squad I see ;)

No need to go over the obvious and well covered ground of SPS, Walsh and H. They were magnificent.

Did want to give a shout out to Daisy. His body hasn’t let him play the way I’m sure he wanted to for his first few years but I am absolutely rapt for him that he finally looks completely free in his movement and can attack the contest with complete intent, not just wily smarts. He must have wondered if he was going to play with freedom again at times since coming over, and I’m thrilled he’s covering the ground and hitting contests as he is - he definitely went when it was his turn a couple of times today.

Thought Murph was also excellent. Used the ball smartly, covered a lot of ground.

Jack, Jack. Haven’t seen him look as strong in the contest as he did today. He showed us something today, that he truly belongs on an AFL field. Super tough, super smart. Just play him.

Well done Levi. When it’s all said and done he’s worked bloody hard to improve his game and its fantastic to see him have moments like that first goal in the last.

Gibbo, you’re a midfielder. Hope you get more chances there because you’re very clever in the clinches and between you, Cripps, Samo and Walsh our composure in contested situations is not easy to match.

Kreuz is the engine that makes us go.

What a day. I haven’t seen the team play with this level of decisiveness in a long time. They had good wins in 2016/17 but that was on the back of team commitment rather than attacking intent and speed/direction of ball movement. It felt they were playing as a team, but very specifically it felt the forward line was both playing well as a unit but also meshing well with the midfielders. And so on between the mids and defence as well.

Of course it won’t happen this way every week but it’s heartening to see a glimpse of what we may expect to become routine over time. They should be confident next week, attack the hawks hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise that they are the same company in different clothing, streaming the same product (sport wise)?

But one of them is cheaper. A lot cheaper.
Not sure about cityfolk, but that'd be impossible out here with the s**t net, would be a constant buffer, plus I believe there would be a lotta congestion come grand final / finals time for the AFL. I'll happily pay extra if it means no interruptions which I haven't had with Foxtel.

But I do understand the praise Kayo receives.

Was at the game today, level 2 behind the goals, so had a gopd down the ground view. Daisy's energy and workrate were extraordinary today. More than I've seen from him at Carlton. Not sure if his numbers reflect it (haven't looked yet) but he worked to hard to create an option on the wings, and to get back to help defense. I was really, really pleased to see it. He is more important than he gets credit for.
Totally agree Daisy and Simmo's attack on the ball for 32 and 35 year olds is outstanding. They been enormous in the backline standing up in the absence of Doc and Willo.

Not sure about cityfolk, but that'd be impossible out here with the s**t net, would be a constant buffer, plus I believe there would be a lotta congestion come grand final / finals time for the AFL. I'll happily pay extra if it means no interruptions which I haven't had with Foxtel.

But I do understand the praise Kayo receives.

I am in the sticks too.

My so called improved NBN service is undoubtably slower than my old ADSL.

But switch Kayo back to SD manually and it works fine. HD goes OK sometimes too.

Best SPS bit was when he had a genuine Diesel moment late in the 3rd when the Dogs had a bit of a sniff.

Took the mark within range, and literally put the game into his time, took a few deep breaths and never looked like missing.

All the wind went out of the Dogs.

It’s one thing to get it 35 times, but to back it with the clutch goals.

For him to own that moment.....says a lot.
That goal from SPS just before 3/4 time to put us 4 goals up was huge. I felt the pressure , I can imagine how his teammates felt when he nailed it
Bolts did have a good day at the office
Personally, I think this “he was out coached” or he “out coached his opponent” is massively overstated. We won the midfield, we were better forward, and our defence was rock solid. I don’t think there was anything massively different from the coaches, we just won important contests.

Back