Autopsy Rd 5 Did Blues win? They s**t it in!

Which players do you think played well in Round 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s been playing very average all year, including JLT.

Why do some believe poor form excludes them from a run in the seconds?

I’d prefer Harry not rucking, Casboult for the moment, has been doing the dual role well. I do not want to be playing 4 talls in the one forward line, it’s cumbersome and we don’t have the quality smalls up forward to make it a success as yet.

One thing is for sure, Casboult doesn’t have history of continued form over a shortish term period and McGovern is a game or two away from being considered for a spell himself (a quarter here and there doesn’t cut it). So the likelihood is if Curnow can have a 2019 breakout game in the 2’s then he’ll be back in pretty quickly.

Personally, I think it will do him the world of good
Charlie has had about 4 knocks around that knee starting in JLT.
Hes a big man and relies on his agility to play his kind of game.
So I think its no wonder he has been less than what we hope.
Its easy to say poor form but much better to look for why.
Levi had that bone bruising last year and never was right again till his fingers problem.

I love reading through this thread. I agree with most of it. My 2 cents.

McKay
Ok, kid is off, was simply brilliant and worked hard all over the ground.

Samo
Wow! He just raised the bar. I watched the Pele film on Netflix this morning and there seemed to be parallels. I think Samo looks best playing naturally instead of to a script. He may have just found his mojo.

JSOS
I am impressed with his aptitude. Just won’t give up and bleeds blue. He might not be in our top 22 in skill but he is in our top 10 for desire. I think he will make it purely on passion.

Gibbons
I was wrong. I was one of the supporters that wasn’t convinced. As soon as he was out through the middle, he looked a different player. He is best 22.

Levi
Always liked him and feel that he straightens is up. Imagine trying to defend against Levi, McKay and Charlie. Nearly impossible. Earns another week.

Jones
I think that Bolton summed it up. When he has genuine support in defence, Liam is a dominant 1on1player.

Weitering
He is back. Had played well every game this year.

Plowman
Has stopped making mistakes. He had a bad year in so many ways last year and has just honed his craft.

Dow
Played well. Needs another season playing seniors. Bolton needs to be patient.

Fisher
I think it’s funny that he kicked three and you can sense that there is still so much improvement to come. Could win a Brownlow in his career. Goes under the radar.

Simmo, Murphy & Thomas
They don’t need to play out of their skin for us to win anymore. I think they are starting to enjoy themselves.

Kruezer
Is our spirit animal. Seriously, there is a different energy about the team when he is out there.

Newman & Marchy
Didn’t play their best games but the pleasing thing is our defence looked solid. When you have two defenders have reasonable games and still win by 44 points, your midfield played a blinder.

I think we might have a list that can go places. I haven’t felt that for a decade.

Cheers,

TA

easily.

I remember saying in our mates footy group chat "ok.... thats the best we've looked all season"

I was totally waiting for us to fk it up :D
turned to my very good little mate, dragged him out from under his seat and said that's the best piece of footy we have pulled off all year - probably longer

I like Foxtel as well but after 15 years I reckon it’s a bit steep.
dunno what it's like now but one of foxtel's major problems was telling you for endless periods exactly what's on foxtel - cross promotional hell........

Just call them tell tell you are going to cancel and they will reduce your package price. ;)

Worked for me.
aph, I was going to mention the fees at bf - any chance of a reduction? it's coming up to 13 years, ffs.........

Early on I'd agree re SPS. Cripps getting him into the game seemed to build his confidence so that as the match progressed he was doing a fair bit of his own grunt work I thought.
SPS is one of those special players. Elite on the outside, but capable of winning his own footy.

Well done to all involved in that passage...all the basics done right.
But hats off to Samo who nailed the two most important plays. First the clearance handball out to a free player over the top of the pack to start the passage. Then keeps making his way down the ground to receive the handball from Gibbons, then sums up the field in a split second and nails a left foot kick with precision to JSOS.
have never been more savagely, yet serenely, placated on a player ever before - and I deserve keel-hauling for doubting the silk cowboy in the first place...

Gibbons with the hard running there too. Was super impressed with him yesterday.

Yes, stated earlier in the thread I think he can be our Kane Lambert.

Was really impressed with his opposite foot kicking yesterday, both him and Samo really stood out for this.

Just watched the first 1/4 again and Gibbons was our link between half back and half forward outside the square, was involved in everything.

This wouldn’t be his normal role but adapted really well to it. If he can make strawberry jam from this then when he gets up to tempo will become a very important player for us.

Matter of fact I’m going to call it early, will be considered in our top dozen players by years end.

Love seeing so many posts after a match and they are positive! I'm only halfway through the thread but here's some thoughts from me that absolutely nobody demanded:

- We controlled the ball beautifully and in stark contrast to the week before. Bolts has talked about how 'coachable' this group is before and this is a great example; a complete 180 on the ball control from last game. We selected a tall team again, but this time it worked because we played to our strength (height). This is something that is often overlooked - playing the game style to suit your team is far more important that getting some arbitrary 'team balance' right. The balance is relative to your game plan. We got that balance right.

- Tackling pressure was good in our F50. Could probably lift a little more around the ground, but the low numbers might be explained by the above team selection point.

- We used the middle of the park when it was on and did it pretty well. Sexy.

- Listened to Bevo's post-game presser and I liked hearing him praise the way our defenders play as a unit. Seems they are demanding respect from opposition coaches and teams. Excellent.

- Good to see some love for the Plow. He hasn't deserved the criticism this year. After round 3 he was rated the 7th best general defender in the comp.

- Loved Walsh's celebratory "V" for Vanilla sign at the end :)

- Polson didn't get much of it but the pressure was there. His shepherd set up Gibbons' first goal. Gotta lift or risk being dropped for Cunners.

- LOB had a down game but never stops trying. I think he will get there but it will just be a slower burn. I reckon he will be a lot like Isaac Smith who was drafted later than usual. Except now we have him in our system for a few years before he is ready to go bang.

The big question is whether this is a turning point or a flash in the pan. Can't wait to find out :)
v for vanilla - you idiot - great wrap, shanster - I demanded and receiveded........

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M
Samo
Wow! He just raised the bar. I watched the Pele film on Netflix this morning and there seemed to be parallels. I think Samo looks best playing naturally instead of to a script. He may have just found his mojo.
I think Samo’s script was simple - stay near Crippa in the midfield, those two worked beautifully in tandem yesterday.

My fav pic from yesterday .......... W ......... WIN

Washyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

57348217_10216234343185631_8908241631988154368_n.jpg

quit it, sam, ffs.......I know you're loving life and the game but it's arrogant showboating for mine - chase me up a ladder and across city roofs.....

Is it actually not beyond the realms of possibility that someone at the club asked Caro to publicly bake Harry and SPS on Footy Classified in order to fire them up ? (Things like this have been known to happen in the past)

If yesterday is the net and tangible result of Caro roasting our players, than sign me up for seconds (Charlie next Miss Wilson x)

I just find it fascinating that both those boys played their lights out yesterday. Maybe i am watching too much Game of Thrones to be swayed into thinking such a Machiavellian tactic by the club 😂😂😁
stop it, fonsy......

I don’t mind the players getting potted. I’ve been in a position where I’ve been potted on the radio, in the paper and on forums regarding my sporting performance. Obviously not to the level AFL players cop it, but still pretty ruthless. In my case it was recently over my performance dropping because I’ve gotten older.

Copped some hilarious roasts from my teammates and personally found it quite helpful and funny

I think if it’s actually true it can be helpful
you're a sample of one - there are a lot of people who would be completely crushed by public humiliation........that ain't gonna help anyone's performances..

Gibbo is a right footer, but does anyone else think he has a better kicking action when kicking on his left? His left foot passing seems more effortless than his right.
As long as he keeps at it.

With Stocker we may end up with two guys who aren’t scared to wrong foot opposition players.

I keep hearing how kids in under 18’s don’t learn to kick on the non-preferred because they can get away with not doing it. Then I watch their draft highlights and see them kicking off the other foot quite a bit.

Maybe they just more concerned with keeping possession in the big league?

Yep, I have the basic + sports + drama + HD and it costs me around $60 a month which I think is a rip. Once GoT is over I’ll have no use for the drama pack and the basic pack is crap.

I’ve got Netflix and I’m thinking that coupled with Kayo should sort me nicely. Is Kayo HD any good though? Asking for a friend.
hd? long as I can tell the jumpers apart it's win for me..........

Love seeing so many posts after a match and they are positive! I'm only halfway through the thread but here's some thoughts from me that absolutely nobody demanded:

- We controlled the ball beautifully and in stark contrast to the week before. Bolts has talked about how 'coachable' this group is before and this is a great example; a complete 180 on the ball control from last game. We selected a tall team again, but this time it worked because we played to our strength (height). This is something that is often overlooked - playing the game style to suit your team is far more important that getting some arbitrary 'team balance' right. The balance is relative to your game plan. We got that balance right.

- Tackling pressure was good in our F50. Could probably lift a little more around the ground, but the low numbers might be explained by the above team selection point.

- We used the middle of the park when it was on and did it pretty well. Sexy.

- Listened to Bevo's post-game presser and I liked hearing him praise the way our defenders play as a unit. Seems they are demanding respect from opposition coaches and teams. Excellent.

- Good to see some love for the Plow. He hasn't deserved the criticism this year. After round 3 he was rated the 7th best general defender in the comp.

- Loved Walsh's celebratory "V" for Vanilla sign at the end :)

- Polson didn't get much of it but the pressure was there. His shepherd set up Gibbons' first goal. Gotta lift or risk being dropped for Cunners.

- LOB had a down game but never stops trying. I think he will get there but it will just be a slower burn. I reckon he will be a lot like Isaac Smith who was drafted later than usual. Except now we have him in our system for a few years before he is ready to go bang.

The big question is whether this is a turning point or a flash in the pan. Can't wait to find out :)
:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Flash in the pan ? It seems unlikely...too much evidence building that spells resurgence. But that doesn't mean we just win next week. Its still a long journey.

Last edited:
Back