Autopsy Rd 5 Did Blues win? They s**t it in!

Which players do you think played well in Round 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. I used to have great respect for CW, and still admire her strength to have endured so long in a male-dominated industry. But now I think she is clutching at straws and reduced to sensationalism like so many other footy journos.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe so but mostly she just looks foolish when she tackles Juddy. Met her match. SOS fixed her up too

Agreed...
Maybe Charlie goes into the midfield when he’s back?

This is what I was thinking.

He could be devastating on the ball and around the ground. Imagine he and Cripps together in the midfield...my god!

He could reach Nat Fyfe type levels.

Can see a McKay, Gov and JSOS fwd line working just fine without Charlie and our midfield benefitting greatly.

Thoughts?

Great win by the boys and was pumped to be there to see it live!!

Samo played a special game and some really important runs from some of the senior boys to open up holes for the others to lead into. Daisy is great at this and importantly Walsh is great at going to those spots once they’re open. Amazing instincts from the youngster.

Also from what I can see, last time we won by more than 44 was way back in 2014 when we thumped the Aints. Four players in that team played yesterday... we’ve come a longgg way!!

(Murph, Daisy, Simmo and Ed)
D7BD5448-C8D5-463F-8865-8E893A71BE8E.jpeg

Last edited:
Not clear at all, if our disposal was at the level of this week we would have smashed Gold Coast, this was the problem not the 4 talls, and Jack and Charlie are the same height in fact I think Jack might have him covered, so other than Polson for Setterfield we are not much shorter this week and the Dogs are much shorter and quicker than Gold Coast.
Seriously don’t know how people can run with that argument after this weeks game.

You didn't see all that space that McKay was able to run into? Part of that was McGovern leading into other areas to create space. That didn't happen last week and it seemed that the clarity on specific roles eg deep forward, lead up ect were not clearly defined.

As for Curnow v Silvagni? Well one plays as a genuine key forward and other plays as a flanker. Different story.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree and savor the win!

This is what I was thinking.

He could be devastating on the ball and around the ground. Imagine he and Cripps together in the midfield...my god!

He could reach Nat Fyfe type levels.

Can see a McKay, Gov and JSOS fwd line working just fine without Charlie and our midfield benefitting greatly.

Thoughts?

Could definitely work. Just on JSOS, he was very impressive on the weekend. Felt that his presence in the forward line on Sunday played a big part in the fowards maintaining correct formation.

Regarding our forward line structure, one thing is for certain. The forward line is to be built around McKay as the deepest forward. With McGovern in the team, maybe Charlie does become the roaming player in the midfield.

The coaching staff will probably experiment with it. Time will tell :)

Yes.

But we need one more this off season. Delist one of Phillips or Lobbe and get in another ruck from somewhere, not an 18 year old, someone with experience between TDK and Kruezer.

Happy to do that, thought we probably should have looked at that already considering the injury history of our ruckman.

We just need Kreuz to give us another 2-3 years of quality and TDK should be ready, he's a gun.

He's played 300+ games. He's won a B&F. Played on the wing, HFF and HBF. He's respected by fans from all clubs. He's got nothing left to prove.

He's half the size/weight of the other players. Yet despite all of that (or perhaps because of) he goes in hard anyway. Every. *******. Time.

He backs into packs, hunts the ball desperately and never gives up. Other players could learn a thing or two (or 20).

Kade Simpson, we salute you.
And fakes that he's going to kick on his right. Doggies fell for it again on Sunday. Hale Kade.

He's played 300+ games. He's won a B&F. Played on the wing, HFF and HBF. He's respected by fans from all clubs. He's got nothing left to prove.

He's half the size/weight of the other players. Yet despite all of that (or perhaps because of) he goes in hard anyway. Every. *******. Time.

He backs into packs, hunts the ball desperately and never gives up. Other players could learn a thing or two (or 20).

Kade Simpson, we salute you.
all without a right leg........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-watched the game

SPS, that first half was one of the best I have seen from one of our players in some time
Fisher, I think it was his best game of his career. Poise, vision, balance and delivery was outstanding
Cripps, was brilliant with his dishing, it was clearly a directive and a focus to get it into the hands of guys like SPS and Fisher
Walsh, most composed game of the year. Used the ball with purpose
Gibbons was great early, run well and really wanted to get involved
Harry worked hard, really hard. Hard to gauge, given how undersized his opponents were, but what impressed me the most, he wanted the front position
Plowman was by far our best defender, can't remember him being beaten
Levi dropped some absolute sitters, but his goal and field kicking has never been better
Jack was a little rusty, but worked into the game
Weitering looked a touch off, ran under the contest a couple of times
Jones was safe, as too was Marchbank
Thomas, Simmo and Newman controlled the space really well
Dow seems nervous, needs to work on his balance before disposal, but seems he is second guessing
LOB was really good at shutting down Hunter, he stays
Murphy started well, but fell back on some bad habits at times
Matty will only get better from that hitout and I know we have TDK, but we need another ruckman, and need to move on Phillips and Lobbe
Ed is a pure workhorse, so want him spending a few more minutes through the guts

McGoven and Polson need to do more, so I would bring in Kennedy for Polson. Allow Polson to play through the middle in the VFL to work on his game

I thought Bolton coached well, yet Beveridge had a shocker

Plowman was by far our best defender, can't remember him being beaten

Gowers took a grab deep in the pocket which Plowman wasn't able to contest, that was disappointing. Then Gowers took another grab soon after when Plowman was matched on him, but it was a good kick on the lead. Otherwise, Lachie was essentially flawless.

Good to have a win. Great to see us showing some forward structure, thought we might have held our forwards a bit deeper, we just seemed to have players in good position to kick to this week. Good simple stuff. Thought our intensity was good, smashed them in clearances, exposed them for height, won a lot of the footy and controlled it a lot better.

McKay - Huge game, lots of marks and possessions. He's in red hot form, if he could improve anywhere it's probably just a little with goal kicking but it's not too bad.
Walsh - Guy is one of our top few players, enough said, genuine freak of a player.
SPS - Best ever game, someone you want getting a lot of the ball because he's a good user.
Murphy - His form has improved because at the start of the season it was down right sloppy. Was a good game from him.
Fisher - Excellent game, thought he was more composed and took the panic out of his game. He found targets this week and was damaging.
Cripps - Really good as usual.
Gibbons - Bit of a breakout game playing more in the midfield/high half forward. Like his zip up the ground. Perhaps if he really comes on he could release Fisher forward a little more.
Newman - Really liking this pickup, think he is a great player back there.
Simpson - Starting to show signs of slowing down but he's still playing good football.
Silvagni - Thought he was pretty good, his body is starting to show signs of maturing which is about right considering his age. He's a medium forward who can go into the midfield. I like him in the team, he doesn't make us too tall IMO, he's good at ground level and his running seem fairly decent.
Plowman - Thought he was solid as usual.
Kreuzer - Didn't dominate the ruck but took some nice marks on the wing and played a reasonable game.
Casboult - Thought he was good and fitted in well. Ran and presented well. Only knock on him is he dropped a few marks he shouldn't have but his return was really good.
Dow - What I really liked was his efforts to chase, been a huge weakness for a while and it was good to see. His kicking badly needs to improve. The rest of his game is fine.
Curnow - Nothing exceptional but was solid.
Marchbank - He's that hard running quicker tall and that's important back there but his kicking needs to improve. He seems to lack vision and he turns it over by foot a lot.
Thomas - Is having a really good season and is moving well. Is really coming on as a defender back there. He's hard at it and a bit quicker than he's been in a long time.
Weitering - Really liking his season and it was a good game, just not as busy but that was for the right reasons.
McGovern - He's horribly out of form and I would rate his game as ordinary and that's generous. Dropped a lot of marks, misread the ball and looks to be lacking a fair bit of run about his game.
O'Brien - Hardly sighted, perhaps playing as a defender. He's off the pace for AFL footy at this stage and really belongs in the VFL developing his game.
Jones - Didn't go his way a great deal but I am loving the footy he is playing, he's cleaned up the errors in his game a lot.
Polson - Hardly involved and belongs in the VFL to develop his game.

Last edited:
with respect - for a long time there has been very little positive to report - it isn't her job to cheer-lead carlton, look for any little nugget of optimism, fight for our right to be treated as though we have been relevant - it's ours - we've been losers for a long time and unfortunately for some that has transmogrified into a victim's outlook - you see things from a victim's perspective you will forever be crying "poor me, another barb from caro" - curiously it will all be forgiven and forgotten once we start to win - I thought the commentary from marvel yesterday was fabulous - healy and dunstall and even that peanut russell wrapt us up bigtime - it felt great to hear as I was so proud of our efforts - this pointless banging on about caro and her non-existent agenda is as silly as the one toward kb - if we can't cop a bit of justified stick about being crap well **** me...........

Actually agree with most of what you are saying, although I didn't actually comment on Dwayne, Dunstal and the rest that you referenced, I was only commenting on Caro from a perspective of someone that lives outside Victoria where she isn't as widely exposed. Also just to clarify, I wasn't just referring to her anti Carlton agenda, more her negative and seemingly poorly researched agenda in general with regards to what she reports. Anyway you've stated your opinion which is clear enough. (Like the Calvin and Hobbs reference by the way 👍)

Finally got to see the game on replay. Without going into who was hot and who wasn't I just want to point out a few things that impressed me.
1. In the past to many of our players ran into packs or to assist in one on ones for the contested ball resulting in the ball being tapped out to a free player form the opposition. this time we had a structured formation when the ball was being contested allowing us to 1 receive a quick handball or tap on or have the ability to lay a tackle if the opposition got possession.
2. We went slow when required (tempo football) giving us the opportunity to set and go through the middle with overlap running and speed rather than just bombing in hope and hugging the boundary. Its amazing how much disposal efficiency improves when you play to a structure and plan and give yourself time.
3. Please give Paddy Dow a break, many of his disposals come form hitting the pack or contest at speed an under pressure, once he breaks free he sometimes doesn't realize he has more time to balance and execute a pass more effectively. He will never be as silky as Sammo, but, once he settles and gets a few more games under his belt he will be the line breaking beast we have been dreaming of. Patience Grasshoppers".

Finally got to see the game on replay. Without going into who was hot and who wasn't I just want to point out a few things that impressed me.
1. In the past to many of our players ran into packs or to assist in one on ones for the contested ball resulting in the ball being tapped out to a free player form the opposition. this time we had a structured formation when the ball was being contested allowing us to 1 receive a quick handball or tap on or have the ability to lay a tackle if the opposition got possession.
2. We went slow when required (tempo football) giving us the opportunity to set and go through the middle with overlap running and speed rather than just bombing in hope and hugging the boundary. Its amazing how much disposal efficiency improves when you play to a structure and plan and give yourself time.
3. Please give Paddy Dow a break, many of his disposals come form hitting the pack or contest at speed an under pressure, once he breaks free he sometimes doesn't realize he has more time to balance and execute a pass more effectively. He will never be as silky as Sammo, but, once he settles and gets a few more games under his belt he will be the line breaking beast we have been dreaming of. Patience Grasshoppers".
used to drive me insane the amount of times an opposition player standing 15 metres on his own received the ball out of a pack and cleared - great point!

used to drive me insane the amount of times an opposition player standing 15 metres on his own received the ball out of a pack and cleared - great point!
Yes, it used to be horrendous. It was like watching a junior game where overzealous kids wanted to get a kick and support their team mate. Although not clinically perfect yet it paid dividends and we smashed a team that is highly regarded for their ability to clear congestion with quick hands and ball movement.

I'm not defending her as a woman - she doesn't need me to do that - I'm just over this board and its pathetic take on anything negative about us in the media - it's as idiotic as the sporadic umpiring conspiracies posters come up with - anti-carlton?..........just don't.........
She's not anti-carlton. She's pro hot takes. Of course people will react when she directs the pathetically short sighted/ uninformed hot takes towards their club as she refuses to admit she's wrong and just puts her head further up her butt acting like some untouchable provider of hard truths.

Gowers took a grab deep in the pocket which Plowman wasn't able to contest, that was disappointing. Then Gowers took another grab soon after when Plowman was matched on him, but it was a good kick on the lead. Otherwise, Lachie was essentially flawless.
He was let off twice early when a Dog dropped a mark 35 out directly in front and again later when they mucked up around him. Brilliant game though.

Back