Autopsy Rd 5 Did Blues win? They s**t it in!

Which players do you think played well in Round 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst thing I found about the old boots were those bloody 3 feet long snake laces.

Utter nightmare to thread, and once you finally got them through there was a foot of slack you had to wrap around your foot twice......and kicking the thing.......

Trick I found was to use dress shoe laces and wrap a layer of tape over them.

yep, that's why we always had the umps in the rooms before the game running their hands across them looking for nails - and checking nails and jewelry...

I know blokes that used to bring 2 pairs of boots, and stand there in socks and pull out the other pair, others used to hide in the dunnys....

They always were obsessed with fingernail length, which never seemed an issue to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, that's why we always had the umps in the rooms before the game running their hands across them looking for nails - and checking nails and jewelry...
luxury..you were lucky to have rooms...we used to have to huddle in t' cow shed...both teams, and coaches would shout till we cried......

Someone pls 'splain more to me about the fog game

Here you go ...

http://www.blueseum.org/article25-A-Memorable-Game-with-Geoff-Southby

image2179

Someone pls 'splain more to me about the fog game
Was there MEB. It ranks as the weirdest VFL I ever attended. Carlton had to win to keep its final chances alive.

It was such a lovely, sunny day. We always sat or stood in the outer and I was shielding my eyes from the sun in the first half. During the half time break a fog descended. This wasn’t the fog I occasionally experienced while playing early morning footy where you’re vision was cut to maybe one half of the ground. This was a full on London peasouper.

The second half was hopeless. You couldn’t see a thing unless the ball passed directly in front of you. It was eerily quiet and you could hear the players calling to each other. I’m certain the Fitzroy kicked to the scoreboard end in the last quarter. The lights weren’t on for Carlton but they went on for Fitzroy. Cheats. Fitzroy won the game and that was the end of our finals hopes. It was the last season of Ron Barassi as coach of Carlton who decided 6 seasons was enough.

IMO the game should have been called off.

Why did it happen? I think I’ve read that it occurred due to the proximity of Albert Park Lake to the Junction Oval. I’m not sure if that’s true. I prefer the theory that truckloads of dry ice were delivered to the ground because they didn’t want the Blues in the finals.

Was there MEB. It ranks as the weirdest VFL I ever attended. Carlton had to win to keep its final chances alive.

It was such a lovely, sunny day. We always sat or stood in the outer and I was shielding my eyes from the sun in the first half. During the half time break a fog descended. This wasn’t the fog I occasionally experienced while playing early morning footy where you’re vision was cut to maybe one half of the ground. This was a full on London peasouper.

The second half was hopeless. You couldn’t see a thing unless the ball passed directly in front of you. It was eerily quiet and you could hear the players calling to each other. I’m certain the Fitzroy kicked to the scoreboard end in the last quarter. The lights weren’t on for Carlton but they went on for Fitzroy. Cheats. Fitzroy won the game and that was the end of our finals hopes. It was the last season of Ron Barassi as coach of Carlton who decided 6 seasons was enough.

Why did it happen? I think I’ve read that it occurred due to the proximity of Albert Park Lake to the Junction Oval. I’m not sure if that’s true. I prefer the theory that truckloads of dry ice were delivered to the ground because they didn’t want the Blues in the finals.
Yep i was there as well, down the junction end and as you said the main thing i can remember is how quiet it went.

Thank you! That's so cool that you were there. I've missed out on so many cool Carlton times.

Back