AFLW Rd 5 Geelong vs Brisbane Lions Sat. 2nd March @ Moreton Bay Sports Complex

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Another battle for conference B's top spot this week, with Brisbane squaring up their ledger at 2-2 following a strong win against the Bulldogs at Whitten Oval last weekend.

As bemoaned by AFLW Lions supporter mikey127 earlier in the week, the North Tasmania Poacharoos raided Brisbane good n' proper over the off-season, resulting in the loss of 4 quality players to the expansion team.

Nevertheless they are still strong opposition and we might struggle to match it with them on their home deck.

2-time All-Australian Sabrina Frederick-Traub always fights her heart out, but I reckon in-form Meg Mac will match up on her very well.

Midfielder Emily Bates is another 2-time All-Australian who will need to be curbed.

Jess Wuetschner is a dangerous left-footed forward who won AA honors last year and averages over a goal a game.
Maddy 'has anyone mentioned she's a Mum of 3 yet?' McMahon might get the job on Wuetschner after her good work on Erin Phillips for part of the round 3 clash and then locking down on Darcy Vescio last week.

We will most likely lose Aasta O'Connor and Maddie Boyd to suspension.

Kate Darby is capable of covering both O'Connor as a back-up to ruck Erin Hoare, and also Boyd's key forward role. She's a likely 'in'.

The club may opt to give teenage ruck Rene Caris a debut game to back-up Hoare.

If Becky Webster has recovered from her Rd 3 leg injury then she is an automatic selection imo ...

The club also might look at replacing Cassie Blakeway, who has been very quiet in her 3 games this year. I'll mention Hannah Burchell again; if she's finally fit she might get a run, good player.

we might look something like this:

B M. Hickey R. Goring M. McMahon
HB M. McDonald D. Taylor

C R. Garing M. Keryk J. Crockett-Grills

HF K. Darby S. Van De Heuvel
F D. Orr P. McWilliams J. Ivey

Foll E. Hoare R. Cranston O. Purcell

i/c G. Clarke A. Teague R. Webster (if fit) R. Caris H. Burchell (??)

Tip: Brisbane by 20 points

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Another battle for conference B's top spot this week, with Brisbane squaring up their ledger at 2-2 following a strong win against the Bulldogs at Whitten Oval last weekend.

As bemoaned by AFLW Lions supporter mikey127 earlier in the week, the North Tasmania Poacharoos raided Brisbane good n' proper over the off-season, resulting in the loss of 4 quality players to the expansion team.

Nevertheless they are still strong opposition and we might struggle to match it with them on their home deck.

2-time All-Australian Sabrina Frederick-Traub always fights her heart out, but I reckon in-form Meg Mac will match up on her very well.

Midfielder Emily Bates is another 2-time All-Australian who will need to be curbed.

Jess Wuetschner is a dangerous left-footed forward who won AA honors last year and averages over a goal a game.
Maddy 'has anyone mentioned she's a Mum of 3 yet?' McMahon might get the job on Wuetschner after her good work on Erin Phillips for part of the round 3 clash and then locking down on Darcy Vescio last week.

We will most likely lose Aasta O'Connor and Maddie Boyd to suspension.

Kate Darby is capable of covering both O'Connor as a back-up to ruck Erin Hoare, and also Boyd's key forward role. She's a likely 'in'.

The club may opt to give teenage ruck Rene Caris a debut game to back-up Hoare.

If Becky Webster has recovered from her Rd 3 leg injury then she is an automatic selection imo ...

The club also might look at replacing Cassie Blakeway, who has been very quiet in her 3 games this year. I'll mention Hannah Burchell again; if she's finally fit she might get a run, good player.

we might look something like this:

B M. Hickey R. Goring M. McMahon
HB M. McDonald D. Taylor

C R. Garing M. Keryk J. Crockett-Grills

HF K. Darby S. Van De Heuvel
F D. Orr P. McWilliams J. Ivey

Foll E. Hoare R. Cranston O. Purcell

i/c G. Clarke A. Teague R. Webster (if fit) R. Caris H. Burchell (??)

Tip: Brisbane by 20 points

Tell me a bit about this girl.

Has anyone heard or seen any reports about our VFLW practice match last weekend where those AFLW listed players who hadn't played yet were going to have a run?

All I've heard is that we won, but haven't seen any reports as to best players, etc.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Has anyone heard or seen any reports about our VFLW practice match last weekend where those AFLW listed players who hadn't played yet were going to have a run?

All I've heard is that we won, but haven't seen any reports as to best players, etc.

not me; I actually forgot it was being played - would be very interested to hear about our bests etc too ..

Tell me a bit about this girl.

She's only early 20s, hasn't played AFLW.

We got done in the VFLW grand final by the Hawks last year; Burchell was one who stood up and played maybe the best game I'd seen from her.

She reminds me a bit of a right-footed Danielle Orr; similar mover, similar pace - plays outside the contest and uses it pretty well. I reckon she's pretty handy, would slot in on a wing or half-forward flank and give us a bit more run.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This will be a really challenging game, even if Brisbane have been reduced over the off-season.

I'm kinda holding out just to see a four quarter effort from the girls instead of the uneven performances we've had so far, but I'm guessing Qld will not be agreeable.

Wonder if Rene Caris will debut this week to back up Erin Hoare in the ruck, or whether we'll bring Darby back to pinch hit in the ruck.

Could even play McMahon there as she did well in the VFLW finals, but since she's dominating down back, I'd be inclined to keep her there.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Wonder if Rene Caris will debut this week to back up Erin Hoare in the ruck, or whether we'll bring Darby back to pinch hit in the ruck.

Could even play McMahon there as she did well in the VFLW finals, but since she's dominating down back, I'd be inclined to keep her there.

McMahon made special mention of the fact she prefers playing down back at the post-match presser w/the coach - I reckon Rene Caris might debut, shes the only teen on the list who is yet to play a game ..

Wouldn't be surprised to see both come into the side - Darby to replace Boyd up forward, and Caris to play back up ruck to Hoare

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty meaningful match, this one.
Last week, we almost paid the price for not scoring when we had the upper hand.
If Taylor hadn't have been playing "My Little Show Pony" in front of goals, that third quarter lapse might have cost us the game.
We need to start taking advantage of the hard work.
The Lions are a step above the Blues.
It's time to click, Cats.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I am a Brisbane AFLW foundation member. I needed to throw support behind one of the original clubs, and I thought they would need it most. Ive become invested in them and its hard to argue that they haven't had success. All being said though, my heart pinged during the first cats game. I instantly found new heros. I love the lions, and Traub deserves a premiership. Ill be damned though, if I dont have dreams of Mel Hickey stomping down the main streets of Melbourne, using her premiership cup to smash in the windows of high rise apartments.
**Disclaimer. I have just watched King Kong, and associate him with power**

Another debutant...

GEELONG has made two changes to their team to play Brisbane on Saturday.

19-year-old ruck Rene Caris will make her AFLW debut, while Kate Darby returns after a strong performance in last week’s VFLW practice match against the Western Bulldogs.

Caris met with coaches Paul Hood and Natalie Wood late Tuesday night, and was given the news by Aasta O’Connor, her former academy coach.

“I was just taking my time after training, I knew Hoody wanted to chat, but I wasn’t sure what about. I walked into the meeting room and saw that Hoody, Nat and Aasta were waiting for me. Once I knew I wasn’t in trouble, Aasta told me the good news and said I was going to be playing this weekend.”

Caris and Darby replace Forward Maddie Boyd and versatile tall Aasta O’Connor, both of whom as suspended after they were reported the Cats five-point win against Carlton in round four.

The Cats round five clash will be held at Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex from 3.45pm local time. The match will be televised 7mate.

AFLW Round Five Team

B:
40. Anna Teague, 44. Rebecca Goring, 24. Maddy McMahon
HB:
18. Melissa Hickey (c), 11. Meghan McDonald, 28. Denby Taylor
C:
30. Richelle Cranston
HF:
2. Danielle Orr, 8. Kate Darby, 27. Sophie Van De Heuvel
F:
7. Mia-Rae Clifford, 23. Phoebe McWilliams, 5. Jordan Ivey
R:
46. Erin Hoare, 45. Maddy Keryk, 16. Olivia Purcell

I/C: 1. Rene Caris, 12. Renee Garing, 17. Georgia Clarke, 6. Julia Crockett-Grills, 4. Cassie Blakeway
Emergencies: 10. Georgie Rankin, 13. Maighan Fogas

https://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-02-28/aflw-round-five-team-selection-

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Another debutant...

GEELONG has made two changes to their team to play Brisbane on Saturday.

19-year-old ruck Rene Caris will make her AFLW debut, while Kate Darby returns after a strong performance in last week’s VFLW practice match against the Western Bulldogs.

Caris met with coaches Paul Hood and Natalie Wood late Tuesday night, and was given the news by Aasta O’Connor, her former academy coach.

“I was just taking my time after training, I knew Hoody wanted to chat, but I wasn’t sure what about. I walked into the meeting room and saw that Hoody, Nat and Aasta were waiting for me. Once I knew I wasn’t in trouble, Aasta told me the good news and said I was going to be playing this weekend.”

Caris and Darby replace Forward Maddie Boyd and versatile tall Aasta O’Connor, both of whom as suspended after they were reported the Cats five-point win against Carlton in round four.

The Cats round five clash will be held at Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex from 3.45pm local time. The match will be televised 7mate.

AFLW Round Five Team

B: 40. Anna Teague, 44. Rebecca Goring, 24. Maddy McMahon
HB: 18. Melissa Hickey (c), 11. Meghan McDonald, 28. Denby Taylor
C: 30. Richelle Cranston
HF: 2. Danielle Orr, 8. Kate Darby, 27. Sophie Van De Heuvel
F: 7. Mia-Rae Clifford, 23. Phoebe McWilliams, 5. Jordan Ivey
R: 46. Erin Hoare, 45. Maddy Keryk, 16. Olivia Purcell
I/C: 1. Rene Caris, 12. Renee Garing, 17. Georgia Clarke, 6. Julia Crockett-Grills, 4. Cassie Blakeway
Emergencies: 10. Georgie Rankin, 13. Maighan Fogas

https://m.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-02-28/aflw-round-five-team-selection-

I'm keen to see Rene; apparently she has a sister who will likely be joining her at the Cattery next year, too ..

shame Becky Webster couldn't get up for this week, I like watching her in action and I reckon a break-out game was just around the corner for her ..

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm keen to see Rene; apparently she has a sister who will likely be joining her at the Cattery next year, too ..

shame Becky Webster couldn't get up for this week, I like watching her in action and I reckon a break-out game was just around the corner for her ..

Another tall girl? .... no sign of the other girl you mentioned?

What time is this game Sat afternoon ?

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Another tall girl? .... no sign of the other girl you mentioned?

What time is this game Sat afternoon ?

yup, another ruck, represented Vic Country last year (personally I thought the Qld ruck showed heaps more potential, can't remember her name though - might have been Bella ..?).

no sign of Hannah Burchell unfortunately, she's running out of time to have much impact this year, which is a shame ...

game is 15:45 AEST :)

edit: spuriously claimed Caris had been AA in 2018. She hadn't.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
yup, another ruck, was u/18 All-Australian last year (personally I thought the Qld ruck showed heaps more potential, can't remember her name though - might have been Bella ..?).

no sign of Hannah Burchell unfortunately, she's running out of time to have much impact this year, which is a shame ...

game is 15:45 AEST :)

How many are on the list? ... Honestly it would not worry me having a debutant or two every week.

What a shame they have to try to squeeze everything into the time span. The afl need to be a little more enlightened ... give them more weeks or perhaps (if possible ) restart it in the middle of the year when the men are "oh so tired". Im sure the weather at this time of year is not great for the best standard. It would not go down well but if the girls could play thru to April ..how would it hurt anything. (bar media and tv product perhaps)

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
How many are on the list? ... Honestly it would not worry me having a debutant or two every week.

What a shame they have to try to squeeze everything into the time span. The afl need to be a little more enlightened ... give them more weeks or perhaps (if possible ) restart it in the middle of the year when the men are "oh so tired". Im sure the weather at this time of year is not great for the best standard. It would not go down well but if the girls could play thru to April ..how would it hurt anything. (bar media and tv product perhaps)

yeah I agree for sure TC; 7-week H&A season is pretty inadequate

I think its 30 on our list ..

1 Rene Caris
2 Danielle Orr
3 Hannah Burchell
4 Cassie Blakeway
5 Jordan Ivey
6 Julia Crockett-Grills
7 Mia-Rae Clifford
8 Kate Darby
9 Nina Morrison
10 Georgie Rankin
11 Meghan McDonald
12 Renee Garing
13 Maighan Fogas
14 Aasta O'Connor
16 Olivia Purcell
17 Georgia Clarke
18 Melissa Hickey
21 Becky Webster
23 Phoebe McWilliams
24 Maddy McMahon
25 Elise Coventry
26 Maddie Boyd
27 Sophie Van De Heuvel
28 Denby Taylor
30 Rocky Cranston
33 Hayley Trevean
40 Anna Teague
44 Bec Goring
45 Maddy Keryk
46 Erin Hoare

... and so with Caris named that means all of our juniors will have played at least 1 game this season

I think Hannah Burchell, Elise Coventry (34yo defender; ACL) & Hayley Trevean (30+ yo wing) are the only three not to have pulled on the jumper this season; Rankin only played the 1st game (thought she got better as the game went along) and Fogas was named for one game, but I'm not certain I actually saw her out on the ground ...

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Will be interesting to see how Rene Caris goes against Lauren Bella - both 2018 draftees, both rucks - here's an example of the nomination system rendering the draft a bit silly:
Caris couldn't be taken by anyone other than Geelong, while Bella could only be drafted by Brisbane this year - Caris went at #35, Bella @ #45, yet I'd rate Bella the far brighter prospect and reckon she might have had a look-in for the top 10 in an open draft ...

Will be interesting to see how Rene Caris goes against Lauren Bella - both 2018 draftees, both rucks - here's an example of the nomination system rendering the draft a bit silly:
Caris couldn't be taken by anyone other than Geelong, while Bella could only be drafted by Brisbane this year - Caris went at #35, Bella @ #45, yet I'd rate Bella the far brighter prospect and reckon she might have had a look-in for the top 10 in an open draft ...

Bella hasn't been named for the Lions.

Back