AFLW Rd 5 Geelong vs Brisbane Lions Sat. 2nd March @ Moreton Bay Sports Complex

Remove this Banner Ad

Great footage just before - 7 was interviewing Hickey and cut to footage of the team not just talking to the fans & signing autographs, but actually getting off the field and walking through the crowd to interact with the fans

That's one area I believe the AFLW excels over the AFL is the interaction between players and the fans, especially after games where the players spend so much time interacting with the fans that staff have to call them into the rooms to sign the song, maybe get some media done & all those other post-game things that need doing.

Love seeing how fans & Geelong fans have taken to this competition - I know it's not for everyone, but for those who have embraced it, it seems they have really embraced it hard

I firmly believe Geelong and North Melbourne should've been entered into the AFLW before Carlton and Collingwood purely because they had done more to develop the women's game than Carlton and Collingwood. Hell, Collingwood had just announced their netball team at the same time. If that isn't a conflict of interest I don't know what is.

Good for our percentage:

2b3785c1-ef80-46d2-8e98-98dd0d5ff4a6.png

Not sure who the mail commentator is, but he has serious issues with maths

They were looking at the Conference B ladder, the up coming games this weekend & then discussed the Carlton vs Collingwood match. He said how over the last fortnight that Carlton have gone from bottom of conference B, to the top of conference B before dropping out of the top 2 after losing to Geelong last week. But (still stupid man speaking) he then said how if Carlton beat Collingwood by a couple of goals tonight that they would then jump back to the top of Conference B, displacing Geelong

I know that as Geelong fans we are only knew to this AFLW caper - but isn't a win worth only 4 points and aren't Carlton 8 points behind us? So even if Carlton have a 10 goal win they would still be 4 points or 1 win behind Geelong who are top of conference B; but they can replace Brisbane in second spot I believe

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Great footage just before - 7 was interviewing Hickey and cut to footage of the team not just talking to the fans & signing autographs, but actually getting off the field and walking through the crowd to interact with the fans

That's one area I believe the AFLW excels over the AFL is the interaction between players and the fans, especially after games where the players spend so much time interacting with the fans that staff have to call them into the rooms to sign the song, maybe get some media done & all those other post-game things that need doing.

Love seeing how fans & Geelong fans have taken to this competition - I know it's not for everyone, but for those who have embraced it, it seems they have really embraced it hard

A bit easier to do stuff like that when its a small crowd game... agree its heart warming

The talented young girls coming through really look the goods. I like the path the club has taken in this regard and hope we keep going local at the draft. It's a much better feeling being successful having drafted rather than poaching from other clubs.

Olivia Purcell was BOG imo and she'll form a devastating partnership with Morrison down the track which is something to look forward to.

I just realised that Kane Purcell is her father. I had a lot to do with Kane when I played Juniors at Nth Shore and he was playing seniors. He was a brilliant footballer himself and probably unlucky not to play AFL. He certainly had the talent, so Olivia has some good genes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The talented young girls coming through really look the goods. I like the path the club has taken in this regard and hope we keep going local at the draft. It's a much better feeling being successful having drafted rather than poaching from other clubs.

Olivia Purcell was BOG imo and she'll form a devastating partnership with Morrison down the track which is something to look forward to.

I just realised that Kane Purcell is her father. I had a lot to do with Kane when I played Juniors at Nth Shore and he was playing seniors. He was a brilliant footballer himself and probably unlucky not to play AFL. He certainly had the talent, so Olivia has some good genes.

Article in the Geelong Addy about Olivia & Kane - https://outline.com/NcNdwp

He was on Collingwood's list but didn't play a game - she could have been a father/daughter recruit if he had just one game for the Pies, but much happier to have her in the hoops

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
And not being ignorant or a smart arse, what style is that. It seemed typical v Collingwood ?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would describe it as a tackle orientated style where they endevour to get numbers around the ball , create ballups and if they can quick insertions into a forwardline. Its certainly not what id describe as an open game or pretty and to a certain degree ..some W teams are probably not used to the frustration of the type of constant pressure. It still relies on some individual performance at time and MegMc has ben outstanding. B&F imo.
Our centre bounce work seemed better today maybe they are getting it down pat.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I really thought we'd be outmatched this week but then the girls absolutely pulled one out. Huge tick for how this team is starting to come together.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

More than the results , this is a fantastic outcome for the year. I 100% agree in the concept of supporting local talent and giving them a ladder to climb.
Purcell was excellent ( id give bog to MegMc) but i could live with OP getting the nod...

Now if they can find another 3-5 girls like NM and they are one their way. .. and Purcells dad was a players? ... even in the girls its hard to beat genes.

I really thought we'd be outmatched this week but then the girls absolutely pulled one out. Huge tick for how this team is starting to come together.

I thought the same too considering how well Brisbane beat the Bulldogs last week. Hoody and the coaching staff well and truly did their homework though and the players followed the game plan to a tee.

Vescio and Harris dominating early against the Pies. Just shows how well McMahon and McDonald played last week. :)
But Harris's first involvement was to hit the post :tearsofjoy:

Harris is good, but she's no Kate Darby. ;)
Not sure which Darby goal I like more - her first where she stayed composed to kick it off the ground or her last when she had that kick into the breeze to seal the game

Today's game has to be good for her confidence and to show that she has what it takes to play at this level

Not sure which Darby goal I like more - her first where she stayed composed to kick it off the ground or her last when she had that kick into the breeze to seal the game

Today's game has to be good for her confidence and to show that she has what it takes to play at this level

Her snap in the 3rd was pretty good too. The goal in the last was my favourite though.

Article in the Geelong Addy about Olivia & Kane - https://outline.com/NcNdwp

He was on Collingwood's list but didn't play a game - should could have been a father/daughter recruit if he had just one game for the Pies, but much happier to have her in the hoops

I reckon - although I can't be 100% sure - he spent time at Geelong on either the supp list or at reserves level.
and Purcells dad was a players? ... even in the girls its hard to beat genes.
One of the best local footballers I've seen along with Frank Fopiani. Those two were brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back