AFLW Rd 5 Geelong vs Brisbane Lions Sat. 2nd March @ Moreton Bay Sports Complex

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how we'll go from here to finish the H&A. But I already have several massive ticks for the team on how they're going this season.

(1) Just clearly loving representing the club and having the opportunity to play the game at this level. Their enthusiasm and endeavour on the field is matched by a very authentic sense of joy and elation when they win. Very heartening to watch.

(2) Their generosity to engage with the fans and inspire young women to follow the club and the game is also absolutely exemplary. The footage of them signing autographs, posing for photos and mingling with all their fans is truly inspiring, They are a great advertisement for the kind of open and welcoming club we all hope the GFC can be.

(3) The improvement across the season thus far has been staggering as well. Some of the footy they played on the weekend was light years ahead of their first couple of games this season. This team is learning and developing really quickly, and that is a massive credit to coaches and players alike.

(4) The evenness of contribution across the entire group is also starting to become apparent. Whilst there are still eye-catching performances most weeks from some of our 'stars', names of lesser lights are starting to get called more regularly as they provide more output. This is a massive component to our overall improvement, as less relatively anonymous players each week means the group is truly starting to find its feet and achieve some of the team synergy that is always synonymous with greater success.

Really proud of their efforts so far. And genuinely excited to see what they might still achieve this season, with two winnable games in the H&A to come. And, if all goes well, the hope of finals as well.

Keep it coming, Cats!

Last edited:
Not sure now we'll go from here to finish the H&A. But I already have several massive ticks for the team on how they're going this season.

(1) Just clearly loving representing the club and having the opportunity to play the game at this level. Their enthusiasm and endeavour on the field is matched by a very authentic sense of joy and elation when they win. Very heartening to watch.

(2) Their generosity to engage with the fans and inspire young women to follow the club and the game is also absolutely exemplary. The footage of them signing autographs, posing for photos and mingling with all their fans is truly inspiring, They are a great advertisement for the kind of open and welcoming club we all hope the GFC can be.

(3) The improvement across the season thus far has been staggering as well. Some of the footy they played on the weekend was light years ahead of their first couple of games this season. This team is learning and developing really quickly, and that is a massive credit to coaches and players alike.

(4) The evenness of contribution across the entire group is also starting to become apparent. Whilst there are still eye-catching performances most weeks from some of our 'stars', names of lesser lights are starting to get called more regularly as they provide more output. This is a massive component to our overall improvement, as less relatively anonymous players each week means the group is truly starting to find its feet and achieve some of the team synergy that is always synonymous with greater success.

Really proud of their efforts so far. And genuinely excited to see what they might still achieve this season, with two winnable games in the H&A to come. And, if all goes well, the hope of finals as well.

Keep it coming, Cats!

Great post GYC - agree wholeheartedly with all your points. I think 3) is particularly exciting, the massive improvement between Rd1 and the win against the Lions bodes well. :thumbsu:

Great post GYC - agree wholeheartedly with all your points. I think 3) is particularly exciting, the massive improvement between Rd1 and the win against the Lions bodes well. :thumbsu:

I acknowledge that Freo came a very long way between seasons. And that the Kangas clearly went from 0 to 100 (and now hopefully halfway back again) very early in their story.

But, based on results thus far in 2019, no other team appears to have improved as rapidly as we have during this season of AFLW. Which does mean that we've got to be a chance of at least a couple more wins before our '19 campaign is over.

And all this without multiple key players week to week and our Nina going down after just one game.

Promising days indeed.

I acknowledge that Freo came a very long way between seasons. And that the Kangas clearly went from 0 to 100 (and now hopefully halfway back again) very early in their story.

But, based on results thus far in 2019, no other team appears to have improved as rapidly as we have during this season of AFLW. Which does mean that we've got to be a chance of at least a couple more wins before our '19 campaign is over.

And all this without multiple key players week to week and our Nina going down after just one game.

Promising days indeed.

Interesting stat re Nina - she laid 8 tackles in her first game. Prespakis hasn't missed a game this season, yet has only laid 10 total.

AFLCA votes, round five:

BRISBANE v GEELONG
10 Kate Darby (GEEL)
7 Olivia Purcell (GEEL)
7 Richelle Cranston (GEEL)
3 Maddy McMahon (GEEL)
3 Emily Bates (BL)

We don't have a player on the full leaderboard, and while slightly annoying it's also a good sign because it shows that we aren't reliant on just a couple of players and that we really have had different players step up/lift their games each week

For someone that was against the women's game at the start I've found myself watching the AFLW on the weekend in lieu of the JLT challenge.

Some of those Fremantle players have some serious talent. It's surprised me.

AFLCA votes, round five:

BRISBANE v GEELONG
10 Kate Darby (GEEL)
7 Olivia Purcell (GEEL)
7 Richelle Cranston (GEEL)
3 Maddy McMahon (GEEL)
3 Emily Bates (BL)

We don't have a player on the full leaderboard, and while slightly annoying it's also a good sign because it shows that we aren't reliant on just a couple of players and that we really have had different players step up/lift their games each week
I was surprised many put McDonald in front of McMahon in the votes to be honest. I thought McMahon played a much better game.

I was surprised many put McDonald in front of McMahon in the votes to be honest. I thought McMahon played a much better game.

I put McDonald ahead as she played on one of the biggest threats in the Brisbane team and thrashed her.

I put McDonald ahead as she played on one of the biggest threats in the Brisbane team and thrashed her.
I reckon she's cannon fodder anyway. I've seen her in action 3 times and she hasn't got near the ball. She's all reputation based on size and nothing else imo.

I've seen dead animals that move faster than her.

Wonder how many votes McDonald is on.

In terms of how our players are fairing in the AFLCA votes:

McDonald - 12 (5 v Pies, 5 v Dogs, 2 v Blues)
Cranston - 12 (5 v Blues, 7 v Lions)
McMahon - 11 (8 v Blues, 3 v Lions)
Morrison - 10 (v Pies) :cry:
Darby - 10 (v Lions)
Purcell - 8 (1 v Dogs, 7 v Lions)
Keryk - 3 (1 v Pies, 2 v Blues)
Boyd - 1 (v Pies)
Taylor - 1 (v Blues)

Round 3 against the Crows is the only match we didn't have a player pick up any points, and not sure we can argue with that

I've started a spreadsheet, I'll keep it going for the rest of the season so we can keep track of how the teams going

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL Womens have published an article with round 5 in a snapshot:
- It's been mentioned in here before about how we kept Brisbane to the lowest ever AFLW score - but can't get sick of reading that

I know they now have 10 teams in the league, but considering we have only just played our 5th match, one would think that the work experience kid would have been able to look at our scores over the previous 4 rounds before posting this gem
  • This was a game of contrasts, with Geelong kicking its highest-ever score in its short history (35 points) and Brisbane kicking its – and the competition's – lowest (eight). :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I know we lost, but in our match against the Crows we kicked 6.1.37. They could make the sentence above correct if they added "highest winning score", but they I think they just flat our forgot our efforts in the Crows game

But this clip made up for that error and it gets better on replay

Wonder how many votes McDonald is on.

I must see it different. She was BOG to me .. she made such a difference and beat the Brisb girl 1o1

Will deserved nomination

Congrats well done... now lets stay fit and dont have any issues like NM after her nomination PLEASE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back