Preview Rd 5. Suns vs North Melbourne @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish it wasn't valid, but there really is nothing to get excited about with respect to the Suns early wins.

Three reasons to be excited about the Freo win
(1) Never won in the west before
(2) Fyfe and Sandilands played great for full games
(3) Gaz was good but not great

3 big ticks for the Suns and don't think we should downplay that.

The Blues and Bombers wins? Can't downplay them enough.

But we won't be getting excited for a while if our midfield keeps getting outplayed. Our depth there is poor, partly from injury and partly from the list establishment.
No good mids from the NT and QLD zone selections (but we did get lots of big blokes in Dicko, Zac, Rory, and May).
No good mids from the batch of 17 year olds we recruited.
The first 4 mids we drafted in 2010 were Swallow (inj.), Harley (turned into Fiorini, a 1st year player), Caddy (turned into Jarrod Garlett, a 2nd year player), and Dion (inj.) so on the weekend it was a big fat Zero from those 4 initial midfield picks.

Typical politician. No mention of rescinding the fines on behalf of the people attending who are already forking out a lot of money to show up, but only encourages people to contest them.
Had a similar incident at the Gabba years ago where the same parking spot I'd used for about 5 years, a legally designated parking space with meter, suddenly became illegal on match day. Wasn't worth fighting for $50 but I know a bloke who did contest and he was told the government bank on about 95% of people not contesting, which is how they make their money. If more contest it clogs up their system and makes it less profitable. Inspectors probably just saw it as an easy way to meet their quota.

Three reasons to be excited about the Freo win
(1) Never won in the west before
(2) Fyfe and Sandilands played great for full games
(3) Gaz was good but not great

3 big ticks for the Suns and don't think we should downplay that.

The Blues and Bombers wins? Can't downplay them enough.

But we won't be getting excited for a while if our midfield keeps getting outplayed. Our depth there is poor, partly from injury and partly from the list establishment.
No good mids from the NT and QLD zone selections (but we did get lots of big blokes in Dicko, Zac, Rory, and May).
No good mids from the batch of 17 year olds we recruited.
The first 4 mids we drafted in 2010 were Swallow (inj.), Harley (turned into Fiorini, a 1st year player), Caddy (turned into Jarrod Garlett, a 2nd year player), and Dion (inj.) so on the weekend it was a big fat Zero from those 4 initial midfield picks.
Geez looking back at the 2010 draft Clayton has really blown it. I remember him commenting that although we weren't going to win a flag off just one draft it was so important to our list build to get those picks right. If Dion goes at the end of the year it will look like an utter failure. How long before Clayton's performance and position come under scrutiny?

Geez looking back at the 2010 draft Clayton has really blown it. I remember him commenting that although we weren't going to win a flag off just one draft it was so important to our list build to get those picks right. If Dion goes at the end of the year it will look like an utter failure. How long before Clayton's performance and position come under scrutiny?
I think he already is under pressure. Well he is from me and I know a couple of their posters here too. We are lacking contested ball beasts, which is how you win finals. We need a Jack Viney, Josh Kennedy, Cripps, Cal Ward, Trav Boak, a good physical leader. The closest we have is Dave Swallow, then it's daylight in terms of courage and physicality.

I think he already is under pressure. Well he is from me and I know a couple of their posters here too. We are lacking contested ball beasts, which is how you win finals. We need a Jack Viney, Josh Kennedy, Cripps, Cal Ward, Trav Boak, a good physical leader. The closest we have is Dave Swallow, then it's daylight in terms of courage and physicality.
Glad there's others that feel this way SN. Clayton has always been known as preferring the skinny athletic types but there's no guarantee you can put meat on their bones and turn them into inside mids. That extra 0.2 seconds / meter of pace the skinny guys might have means jack s**t if you're getting pounded by bulls all game.

Glad there's others that feel this way SN. Clayton has always been known as preferring the skinny athletic types but there's no guarantee you can put meat on their bones and turn them into inside mids. That extra 0.2 seconds / meter of pace the skinny guys might have means jack s**t if you're getting pounded by bulls all game.
100% agree frustrating when we have been given so many draft concessions, and we get flighty whippets with those top 10-15 picks. We desperately lack those inspirational physical midfielders. Don't get me wrong, Gaz, Dion, Jaeger are top shelf but we still lack that bull with the thirst for the contest, that stands up in the argy bargy

100% agree frustrating when we have been given so many draft concessions, and we get flighty whippets with those top 10-15 picks. We desperately lack those inspirational physical midfielders. Don't get me wrong, Gaz, Dion, Jaeger are top shelf but we still lack that bull with the thirst for the contest, that stands up in the argy bargy
Even Gaz, Dion and Jaeger as good as they are, rely more on their skill and smarts to win the inside ball. Putting them in the situation where they're relied upon to win the bulk of the contested ball is what's lead to the high injury rate amongst our mids. You just can't keep crashing into and getting crashed by blokes who weigh 10-15kg more and not get damaged.

Even Gaz, Dion and Jaeger as good as they are, rely more on their skill and smarts to win the inside ball. Putting them in the situation where they're relied upon to win the bulk of the contested ball is what's lead to the high injury rate amongst our mids. You just can't keep crashing into and getting crashed by blokes who weigh 10-15kg more and not get damaged.

We need Steve May to be a midfielder :)

Hello Jack Martin. Put 5kgs on in his first year.. And last 2-3years gone nowhere
Even Ah Chee in 1Pre season ended up bigger then Martin

It would be great if we had any of these guys, throw in a Fyfe or a Dangerfield too.. but this problem is being emphasized by a freaky injury list.. not just how many, but who too.. would we be criticizing so much if Prestia, Ablett and especially Swallow and O'Meara had played the last 18 months together?
Don't forget Clayton is responsible for the irrepressible Tom Lynch who I would take above anyone in the League right now and I mean anyone.
Also Saad would have to be the best value pick up of the last decade...
KK was a top get and there are numerous others.. I am firmly in Scotties corner. We pick up Sheer, Bowes and Powell - pepper in the next draft and this list build is a very very good one..
The one obvious one we missed was Hepple in the first draft, but he was a flight risk and look at him now..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is my Highlite

Interesting stats from this game, shows how winnable it was, I def think the umpiring hurt us at crucial times too, so shows we are competitive just not polished - I was surprised we won clearances because it looked like they owned us in the middle, they didn't even man us up for most of the bounces, shows you how confident they were in winning out of there

"Gold Coast won the disposals (366-362) and clearances (30-29), was narrowly beaten in contested possessions (138-134), but was killed on turnovers."

I Agree. I just watched the replay... well first 3 quarters. In patches we were quite good, in patches we were shocking and made some of the worst turnovers of the year. It really hurt us getting any momentum in the game. The first quarter with a couple of questionable umpiring calls and a few bad decisions from our boys with the ball didnt give us much confidence.

Geelong, down at their home ground this weekend .... how the hell are we going to contain the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood, Bartel, Hawkins, Motlop, Mackie, Duncan, Lonergan, Enright, Taylor, and Bilcavs ... not to mention Caddy and Zac Smith will rise to the occasion against their old club...!!!!!
Is a bit scary ,, but stranger things have happened in our game of aussie rules ,,,

Geelong, down at their home ground this weekend .... how the hell are we going to contain the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood, Bartel, Hawkins, Motlop, Mackie, Duncan, Lonergan, Enright, Taylor, and Bilcavs ... not to mention Caddy and Zac Smith will rise to the occasion against their old club...!!!!!
Is a bit scary ,, but stranger things have happened in our game of aussie rules ,,,
I feel we will get beaten soundly
Too much going against us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back