Preview Rd 5. Suns vs North Melbourne @ Metricon

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Well that happened. Anyways a couple of thoughts:

Gaz seemed to recover well from the calf problem and that dirty campaigner with the knee in the back and played alright.
Lynchy being double teamed/held all night and still came away with the 4 goals. All aboard for the coleman :D (touch wood)
2MP was fantastic, couldnt have done much more in his first game of the year.
Sam Day was solid down back may be alright at that swingman role with 2MP in the side.
Jacky Martin in the middle! :p Didnt do to much but I just love seeing him in there.

I think the biggest thing though is that the game was lost on thursday night. There were questions then, but Waite, Brown and Petrie killed us. 21 marks and 8.4 between the 3 of them. I know there were a number of reasons why we lost but you cant give them a leg up like that. Thats 2 weeks in a row now that Eade has made mistakes at the selection table (Brooksby). I know we shouldn't argue with his choices but cmon man, everyone could see that was only going to end in disaster.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't think it's quite the doom and gloom many are saying. North are a quality team, we are admittedly struggling for depth. On the upside we are very soon going to have a great double team up forward in Lynch who's already there, and Wright who's on the up.
They might be on top at the moment but I don't rate North in the top four at the end of the year. Hawks, Crows, Dogs, Swans all better.
We have a number of players tonight who wouldn't get a game in a top 6 side - Grant, Currie, Sexton, Cameron, Lemmens, Russell, even Mal and Rosa were seen as expendable by their old teams.
Loved Wright's signs tonight and Ah Chee also showed some good patches.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They might be on top at the moment but I don't rate North in the top four at the end of the year. Hawks, Crows, Dogs, Swans all better.
We have a number of players tonight who wouldn't get a game in a top 6 side - Grant, Currie, Sexton, Cameron, Lemmens, Russell, even Mal and Rosa were seen as expendable by their old teams.
Loved Wright's signs tonight and Ah Chee also showed some good patches.

That's the game I play
When people tell me we're a top 8 team, I ask them who in our current 22 would be a walk up at any other club
Not too many at the moment
Sydney would not move a single mid
GAJ might get a spot on the pine for old time's sake

From today's team?
It's probably Lynch Ablett Hall Martin Harbrow Saad and McKenzie

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
I always see things too glass half full.. Not just footy but life in general.. Too often.
But I guess I'm seeing too much upside again. I believe our best side on the Park (although that never seems to happen) is better than most. Our depth is a problem but again our best on its day I feel could beat just about anyone.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Umpiring tonight was disgraceful
Umpiring really hurt the Suns tonight especially in the first half.

I have a theory on that
I reckon Metricon is the only interstate ground that is nearly "neutral", so the umpires take the opportunity to show everyone how strong they are by not giving frees to us the hometeam and either letting things go for the other team or giving them softies
I used to get angry but that's a cancerous emotion
Apparently it's okay to hold our players on the mark, but if we do it we're sternly marched 50m
The tiggy touchwoods like running into the square(it wasn't) and Mal's free on Goldstein was ludicrous
The big gorilla shat himself at the thought of impact and dropped the ball cold

Bazza37

Club Legend
Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I have a theory on that
I reckon Metricon is the only interstate ground that is nearly "neutral", so the umpires take the opportunity to show everyone how strong they are by not giving frees to us the hometeam and either letting things go for the other team or giving them softies
I used to get angry but that's a cancerous emotion
Apparently it's okay to hold our players on the mark, but if we do it we're sternly marched 50m
The tiggy touchwoods like running into the square(it wasn't) and Mal's free on Goldstein was ludicrous
The big gorilla shat himself at the thought of impact and dropped the ball cold
Right from the get go the umpires were giving North frees and 50m pens that lead to goals.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The great battle of the mediocre. How will it pan out? They'll probably end up nullifying both their uselessness.

At least Currie gives us some physical presence out there
Sadly lacking without Daysie notwithstanding Lynch
I always hope Jesse will step up but there's a touch of looks like Tarzan plays like Jane about Jess

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Random Thoughts:

I didn't think it was a car crash, we were there abouts and they kicked away at the end. Wright should play every week from here on in.

They are so much crisper with their touches than us, we over possessed in the middle and got cut to ribbons going the other way because of it.

Cameron, Lemmens and Russell can find their way to the exit of this team. Cameron was woeful and real soft tonight.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Random Thoughts:

I didn't think it was a car crash, we were there abouts and they kicked away at the end. Wright should play every week from here on in.

They are so much crisper with their touches than us, we over possessed in the middle and got cut to ribbons going the other way because of it.

Cameron, Lemmens and Russell can find their way to the exit of this team. Cameron was woeful and real soft tonight.
Russell got 3 touches!! Swallow or Jaeger could do that on one leg.

Back