Preview Rd 5. Suns vs North Melbourne @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo hasn't won a game mate. Don't use that victory as any sort of benchmark.

Disagree
Was a decent win on the road
One of the reasons FReo haven't won a game is because we unexpectedly beat them
Being beaten by West Coast, WBs and North is hardly insulting to them this year
That's a tough draw

Positives for the game
2 metre Peter is the future of centre half forward for us.
Jack Martin looks like he could be a quality winger after all.
Gaz was good after his injury scare although he is never going to get back to that form he had at the start of 2014.... F*****g Brent Macaffer
Tom lynch is still on target for the John Coleman
Matty rosa looks okish.

Negatives
Luke Russell. Not sure if he was playing tonight
Sean Lemmons will be playing at 11:45am next week
Malceski should of stayed at Sydney, my god he is a selfish footballer.
Grant was yuk and murdered by all his opponents.
The fact it cost me $42 for 3 beers a Sprite and a pie.

I really hope injuries and the general lack of depth don't derail yet another season... Really starting to miss the hype days of 2014 where Ablett/O'Meara/Swallow/Prestia/Bennell with Hall off the bench were beginning to terrorise other team's midfields, and it was just a matter of time before the frontline would develop to turn the midfield's work into goals.

Since then Ablett has had major knee and shoulder surgery, O'Meara has had two major knee surgeries, Swallow has suffered multiple knee injuries, Prestia is starting to have knee issues, and we all know about Bennell.

I just want to see Ablett/O'Meara/Swallow/Prestia all back on the field at the same time again

Rocket very pissed off at the end of the game - didn't want the supporters to clap them in.

I really hope injuries and the general lack of depth don't derail yet another season... Really starting to miss the hype days of 2014 where Ablett/O'Meara/Swallow/Prestia/Bennell with Hall off the bench were beginning to terrorise other team's midfields, and it was just a matter of time before the frontline would develop to turn the midfield's work into goals.

Since then Ablett has had major knee and shoulder surgery, O'Meara has had two major knee surgeries, Swallow has suffered multiple knee injuries, Prestia is starting to have knee issues, and we all know about Bennell.

I just want to see Ablett/O'Meara/Swallow/Prestia all back on the field at the same time again
Me too but I don't like our chances if it doesn't happen this year. Father Time has caught up with Gaz really quickly too. Not confident we'll ever see him dominate again. Just looks slower and more....human.

here's how i see the russell situation going down. so he's picked up 30-odd disposals in the neafl, and gets called up to play against north. gets about 8 touches and has about as much impact on the game as steven may watching on from the naughty corner. then we all start calling for heads to roll in the match selection committee for even considering him for the team. hope i'm wrong. :p
aaaaand unfortunately i'm right haha.

jesus, peter wright!! what a game. surely gotta get the rising star nom.
some other guys played alright, but the standard was set pretty early, especially with kk's kick straight to a north player inside their 50. that was mind boggling.

i didn't think we were horrible though. if we had may and thommo playing i reckon we'd be in with a chance. having to play guys like mal & trent on someone like ben brown whose a good head taller was a killer tonight. oh well, on to next week.

Gee, that was frustrating..
The first five mins was amateur hour...
The umpiring was atrocious. ..
And not picking Jack Leslie was absolutely mystifying. ..
Is Rory a chance next week? Our balance is up the s**t without him..
There is no way Ben Brown is kicking 4 goals if Rory plays..
Also please dont ever pick Luke Russell again, I dont care how many possies he gets in the NEAFL. . I mean I feel I've been pretty clear on this in the past.. (does the selection committee not read Big Footy)
But for all my frustrations, when the red mist cleared I am surprisingly upbeat about tonight's game.. North are the ladder leaders and for the middle half of the game we had them running scared..
This is without our two bookends and most of our midfield...
Curry was good.. hes not flashy but he is a unit and it felt good to watch a Suns ruckman not get ragdolled every second contest for the first game in our history.
Peter Wright... Fu*k Yeah!! He is not going to do that every week, but lets keep playing him every week just in case.. And what upside! Him and Lynch for a decade, starting tonight... That frees up Day to play anywhere we need him ( Sammy is definitely best 22)
Ah chee is going to be a star.. relatively quiet tonight but takes the right options.. what I have loved is that twice, once tonight and when he kicked his goal against Freo he ignored Gary, because Gary was the wrong option..
Lonergan is going along ok..
Saad is just scintillating. .. If there is a more exciting player to watch in the Afl, well there isn't.. slightly different players but I haven't been as excited watching a player since Pete Matera in his prime..
Tom Lynch is All Australian so far.. he got held so often tonight I wanted to kick the TV..
Our bottom 5 or 6 every week are not up to it and with the possible exception of Lemmens, never will be.. thats why we are struggling..
I honestly believe our best 25, with Rocket's game plan will beat anyone.. with next years draft booty coming in and Fiorini and Willis maturation.. we will be close to the 30 guys you need to withstand injuries to even our best players...
Stay strong Suns supporters the good times are coming...
I refuse to believe otherwise!!

Also please dont ever pick Luke Russell again, I dont care how many possies he gets in the NEAFL. . I mean I feel I've been pretty clear on this in the past.. (does the selection committee not read Big Footy)
But for all my frustrations, when the red mist cleared I am surprisingly upbeat about tonight's game.. North are the ladder leaders and for the middle half of the game we had them running scared..
Curry was good.. hes not flashy but he is a unit and it felt good to watch a Suns ruckman not get ragdolled every second contest for the first game in our history.
Peter Wright... Fu*k Yeah!! He is not going to do that every week, but lets keep playing him every week just in case.. And what upside! Him and Lynch for a decade, starting tonight... That frees up Day to play anywhere we need him ( Sammy is definitely best 22)
Ah chee is going to be a star.. relatively quiet tonight but takes the right options.. what I have loved is that twice, once tonight and when he kicked his goal against Freo he ignored Gary, because Gary was the wrong option..
Saad is just scintillating. .. If there is a more exciting player to watch in the Afl, well there isn't.. slightly different players but I haven't been as excited watching a player since Pete Matera in his prime..
Tom Lynch is All Australian so far.. he got held so often tonight I wanted to kick the TV..
Our bottom 5 or 6 every week are not up to it and with the possible exception of Lemmens, never will be.. thats why we are struggling..
I honestly believe our best 25, with Rocket's game plan will beat anyone.. with next years draft booty coming in and Fiorini and Willis maturation.. we will be close to the 30 guys you need to withstand injuries to even our best players...
Oh yeah, I wouldn't be writing Gaz off just yet.. he has been out for the best part of 18 months.. I guarantee he will be back to his very best very soon... I can't believe so many posters are writing him off..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaz got better as the game went on. He's sore but he has had to do a lot more grunt work over the last few rounds. That will change with Prestia hitting form, JOM/Hallahan/Swallow returning, Lonergan being freed up from defensive roles, etc. Gaz still has years of match winning footy left in him.

Loved Currie's work tonight in his 5th AFL game of his career. He's body work is so much stronger than Nicholls. Really crashes the packs. I can see him keeping Nicholls out of the team for a while yet.

2MP was awesome. Really grabbed his chance by the balls and will cement his spot over the next few weeks. He worked well with Lynch. Definitely a 3 tall forward line on the cards with the return of Thompson & May.

Grant earned another game next week.

Umpire #27 crucified us.

Half time queues for food were atrocious and then sold out by 3qtr time.

You had me until this point but you still got me back to your way of thinking

You had me until this point but you still got me back to your way of thinking
Haha, OB- I have a feeling about Lemmens. . He is now a tough Hombre, his discipline has improved no end and I feel there is a role for him in the back line... but I do get the frustration, his diposal is at times deplorable. . However if that improves we could have a very handy role player for our 2018 premiership tilt... without looking it up im pretty sure he is still only 21..

The umpiring cost us a chance to win last night it was ludicrous

GAJ kicking to a Norf player standing on his own in our 50 when Gaz was clear was mind boggling never seen him ever blow a possession like that before, Gaz still leaning on our players to give him the ball when he is in an inferior position - he is trying too hard

Looked like Bluey was coaching us again with our guys handballing endlessly again when they were clear instead of kicking forward we kicked sooner and more when we were winning earlier in the season when we handball more we generally make the last one to our opposition
TH

by the way I think Gaz was close to getting back into his groove last night feels like he i close to getting his wheels under him

Much prefer Currie than Tom ATM makes a bit of a contest

Peter Wright. 3 Goals,17 Touches,8 Marks,5 Inside 50.....HAS TO BE Rising Star this week...Awesome game 2m Peter!
2MP is smart, aggressive, has clean skills, contests for the ball when it's on the floor
and also can play Ruck. If he was playing in Melbourne he would definitely be
nominated for the rising star.

2MP is smart, aggressive, has clean skills, contests for the ball when it's on the floor
and also can play Ruck. If he was playing in Melbourne he would definitely be
nominated for the rising star.
he looked very polished last night has come a looooong way in 12 months, him and Lynch working together is ....well ,,,,,,,,,,pleasing

thought KK started to get his poise and space back, had a couple of clangers but was back to taking on the game with his head up and choosing mostly good options, he is back on track to add some calm to the back half under pressure
Kudos to McKenzie too he is working much harder
Sam Day is mostly good to, love the fact he plays on or handballs as his first instinct too definitely is starting to look more at home on the ground now and always contests

Must admit I'm surprised at the vitriol posted here after the game. I'll just take it as people being heated right after and still emotional.

Let's be real. North are a top 4 team this year. They doubled us with age and experience and don't have injuries to their list. They are right in the prime of their window. This is it for them.

At our best with no injuries, we're hoping to play Finals.

I was never expecting the win with the team we named. The lack of key defenders showed, not only with the amount of marks conceded inside 50, but with the organization and structure of where our back 6 need to go. Quite often we fell down in transition, and I have no doubt that this is because our structure back there is still coming to grips on how to work without any KPD's.

Dion missing obviously hurt, but I was pretty happy that we drew even with clearances and contested possession. A huge improvement on last week.

So for me, to be in the position we were in a few times left me feeling satisfied. Had a few really questionable umpiring moves not been called then I think we'd be a lot closer.

2MP the story of the day for me. Just an epic performance from the young guy.

Based on that effort, I think we can beat the Cats next week. They only have the one KPD to match up on.

Then Melbourne at home the next week I think we can also win.

Didn't get to the game, but tried to watch as much as possible with the next great white hope for the Suns in 2035. 2MP was the obvious standout and was so wrapped for him to out manoeuvre Ben Brown multiple times. Not sure any club has better under 25 key positions than us which is great, we lack some contested beasts though, that's another topic.
Gaz did well to recover and adjust his role as well, Hall still in good form. Curries has to get a run of games, maybe a month, depending on how Nicholls goes in ressies I guess?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back