Women's Footy Rd 5 v Brisbane @ Freo Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS can't they at least give us *one* 5pm start? These middle of the day February games are terrible.
2pm (ish) Saturday remains my preferred time slot. I get to go to the game, and then watch it again later that night.

And I haven't seen any evidence yet that the heat has adversely affected their performance.

Apart from the consistently brilliant Hayley Miller and a couple of others, last game saw just about every possession get thrown on the boot the millisecond it was received (or rush handballed to someone's knees). We are going to have to get a bit more composed with our possessions when there is time or get found out by the better teams who will just load up with contested markers a kick behind the ball like GWS were doing yesterday to WC.

Our game on the weekend reminded me a bit of our men's 2013 team that was just so strong, fit, and high pressure, but not so clean and when we came upon a Hawthorn, they picked us apart with clean high possession football. I'm hoping over the next few weeks we can work on just a little bit more composure in sending the ball forward so we are ready for the finals.

By the way, did I mention how brilliant and classy Hayley Miller was again. It's like if there was a higher level league than AFLW, she would be in it.

Apart from the consistently brilliant Hayley Miller and a couple of others, last game saw just about every possession get thrown on the boot the millisecond it was received (or rush handballed to someone's knees). We are going to have to get a bit more composed with our possessions when there is time or get found out by the better teams who will just load up with contested markers a kick behind the ball like GWS were doing yesterday to WC.

Our game on the weekend reminded me a bit of our men's 2013 team that was just so strong, fit, and high pressure, but not so clean and when we came upon a Hawthorn, they picked us apart with clean high possession football. I'm hoping over the next few weeks we can work on just a little bit more composure in sending the ball forward so we are ready for the finals.

By the way, did I mention how brilliant and classy Hayley Miller was again. It's like if there was a higher level league than AFLW, she would be in it.
No doubt getting more efficient ball movement will be advantageous, but I think you might be overestimating the capacity of other teams to counter how we go about it (also had we kicked straighter at goals earlier in 2013 I'd say the outcome would've been totally different).

There’s some serious buddy love going on here! And pretty decent analysis too.

2pm (ish) Saturday remains my preferred time slot. I get to go to the game, and then watch it again later that night.

And I haven't seen any evidence yet that the heat has adversely affected their performance.

It adversely affects my ability to actually watch the game in relative comfort.
Freo Oval is great on a summer's evening, but hot as balls during the day.

Our game on the weekend reminded me a bit of our men's 2013 team that was just so strong, fit, and high pressure, but not so clean and when we came upon a Hawthorn, they picked us apart with clean high possession football.
Sure, but with a key difference: speed. Scrambled kicks into space aren't so easy for the oppo to set up for without flooding so many back that they leave themselves with no chance to score.

It adversely affects my ability to actually watch the game in relative comfort.
Freo Oval is great on a summer's evening, but hot as balls during the day.
I suspect the time slot may be limiting attendance.
Seems like half of everyones under the shade of the mb fig trees and market end goal shelter.
Evening game could be more attractive to many.
Looking fwd to the game. Over on the Lions board theyre using the Erin/goat excuse for the Crows loss..
Did they notice Turbo ate her lunch the week before?

Last edited:

Miller was good but just not as good as Cuthbertson who is becoming one of our most valuable and consistent players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love watching the concerted attack of our women's team but like MH am a bit concerned about its very high physical demands, which may counter a cleaner style of play. Freo's and Brisbane's stats seem to indicate this - our tackles are one of the few measures where we outperform Lions.

That said, if we get it done and without injuries, it doesn't really matter how. Go girls!!!

I love watching the concerted attack of our women's team but like MH am a bit concerned about its very high physical demands, which may counter a cleaner style of play. Freo's and Brisbane's stats seem to indicate this - our tackles are one of the few measures where we outperform Lions.

That said, if we get it done and without injuries, it doesn't really matter how. Go girls!!!
Good leadup
Home ground
Seven days
No travel
Developing form
Exciting prospects!

By the way...
not a peep about this game on the Lions board?
Whats goin on over there?

Good leadup
Home ground
Seven days
No travel
Developing form
Exciting prospects!

By the way...

They are sh***ing themselves ;):straining:

I think our girls are just determined, hungry...and really focused. For what it's worth I think we are quite skillful. A lot of our goals come out nothing or sudden emerges of play - Sharp has shown this even though she's probably not in peak condition. Snagging goals from open play. We are potent forward and creative; we can conjure goals from thin air and when they are most needed. Mark of a team on the right trajectory I would suggest. Lions will be a stern test though no doubt, so it's a massive game for the team now. Time to see what they're made of :thumbsu:

Houghton leading the goal-kicking "Pavlich-in-a-wig Medal" race with 6; Duffy next in line with 4 and Sharp a lazy 3 off her 2 games. Gabby with her first 2 of the season last week. Then there's quite a nice spread and mix of goalkickers - the Antonios, Hyde, Bowers, Haynes, Webb, Roux, Miller & Verrier with 1 apiece. Getting good support from midfield and defence there; bobbing up with goals. Mark of a side with potent weapons to get the job done. Brisbane are a decent side and it's gonna be another stiff test. However with Freo not even playing that great for a half last week and then stepping on the gas after half time and going up a gear or 2.....Freo are just too strong once they put the foot down. So based off that skewered load of pseudo-logical bollocks, Freo to down the Lions by 22

Interesting footage from Brisbane training today, with their players practicing camouflaging in grass to avoid apex predators like Kiara Bowers.

1614240439664.png

In all seriousness looks like we lucked out with the Indigenous clash. The West Coast wings design against the light blue GC Indigenous clash jersey will be a nightmare.

Interesting footage from Brisbane training today, with their players practicing camouflaging in grass to avoid apex predators like Kiara Bowers.

View attachment 1065262

In all seriousness looks like we lucked out with the Indigenous clash. The West Coast wings design against the light blue GC Indigenous clash jersey will be a nightmare.

I’d call them bower birds.

Good leadup
Home ground
Seven days
No travel
Developing form
Exciting prospects!

By the way...
Already conceded. You’ll find the towel in the centre circle at Freo Oval.

Alright peeps, which one of you is gonna start the Freeeeeeeeoooooo chant if we’re up at the end of the game? I am seriously going to be listening for it here in Chicago. I better hear you. I can’t think of a women’s game where I heard it yet.

Who’s going to commit getting it started?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alright peeps, which one of you is gonna start the Freeeeeeeeoooooo chant if we’re up at the end of the game? I am seriously going to be listening for it here in Chicago. I better hear you. I can’t think of a women’s game where I heard it yet.

Who’s going to commit getting it started?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Listen harder, the chant was on at the ground against gold coast last week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back