Women's Footy Rd 5 v Brisbane @ Freo Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn’t watch the game today but I’m not getting very good vibes about our girls performance from this thread, in fact it sounds like they were terrible.

Hate hate hate barmy army crap
Freeeeeoooo rocks
I was in the Sth Freo stand so what you heard was prob my efforts.

The Barmy Army one went -

We are the Dockers
The mighty mighty Dockers
Hey (pause for 3 beats) Ho (same pause)

Repeat ad nauseum (or ad nausea!).

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah this one stings a bit. You get caught up in that whirlpool of excitement and expectation. I think we looked mentally shot and an 8 day break couldn't come soon enough....Coops eluded to it in his presser, he said they trained 'poorly', their minds have either drifted or they've gone a bit overboard on the hype train. Time to check into reality hotel and realise the curtains aren't your fav colour......refocus, re-energise and get committed to the cause, you ain't won nothing yet. There's a job to do and its a biggie.

Yes you were robbed of that opportunity last year and it was an appalling decision; but it's been and gone. Time to look yourselves in the mirror ladies and ask yourselves how badly do you really want it. Can you push yourselves harder than you've gone before?! Because that's what it takes, the extra mile. Have you got what it takes......I think you do. I really think you do, but you have to go out there and show it.

Starts next week with another Derby at Optus. Time to bring the purple storm ladies :devil:

Already conceded. You’ll find the towel in the centre circle at Freo Oval.
Well that big me on the arse harder than a hungry Rottweiler.
Damn you footygods. I apologised pre-game and explained I was JOKING! I never get ahead of myself, it’s not in my nature. You’ve broken me, I didn’t even get a chance to sacrifice that chook to appease you and prevent you from raining your hellish wrath down on my head.
Footy, you are a cruel and addictive controller of minds and emotions. 😩

(just so you know BrainOfMorbius, I am but a humble supporter of this great game. Well done to your girls.)

Most things I noticed have already been pointed out. Bad handballs. Brisbane's marking game was better than ours. Girls looked flat, perhaps overconfident coming in. Rushed kicks. Lack of awareness and vision. Umpires made some questionable decisions, in our forward line particularly. Sometimes it seems like the umps were letting the girls get away with things because "they're only girls, let play go on", but a throw is a throw and that mark wasn't one. They gave Gemma Houghton no space to run, good pressure from Brisbane. good coaching, I think.

I've said it here before, Courtney Hodder was a miss. We were in with a shot there, a draft or so back.

One thing though. A scrubby kick makes for a scrubby ground ball. When the guys kick and miss the target in AFL, you can be reasonably certain that following the ball will cause it to bounce end on end and bob up in your favour often enough.
But a scrubby kick is not easily gathered, and the girls don't have the background yet to anticipate how it's going to roll and bounce. Damn thing rolls around in a semi-circle because the technique of the kick was off to start with. Fumble on the pickup, opposition have time to get there, apply pressure, and hold up play. Just that one second looking down to make sure the ball is in the correct position for a kick or a handball is costing time, where the guys do it by instinct.

Skills focus. A good kicking technique makes the ball bounce predictably even on a missed target, and the sit, gather and subsequent flow of play easier. It'll come with time. A lot of these girls didn't grow up with a footy in their hands.

Gotta say it though, I'm loving the AFLW. It's not the LFL, and for that... phew.

Last edited:
Didn't get to watch this one. Going by the comments I'll skip the replay. Bring on the Dirty Birds.

Apart from the consistently brilliant Hayley Miller and a couple of others, last game saw just about every possession get thrown on the boot the millisecond it was received (or rush handballed to someone's knees). We are going to have to get a bit more composed with our possessions when there is time or get found out by the better teams who will just load up with contested markers a kick behind the ball like GWS were doing yesterday to WC.

Our game on the weekend reminded me a bit of our men's 2013 team that was just so strong, fit, and high pressure, but not so clean and when we came upon a Hawthorn, they picked us apart with clean high possession football. I'm hoping over the next few weeks we can work on just a little bit more composure in sending the ball forward so we are ready for the finals.

By the way, did I mention how brilliant and classy Hayley Miller was again. It's like if there was a higher level league than AFLW, she would be in it.
(At the risk of doing a quazar) yes, Monument Hills, you were spot on. It's like you're Nostradamas or possibly because you just watch a lot of women's footy. Lotto numbers for next week please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In those 11 games on the trot they didn’t park the bus from start to finish.

We need ball winners and clearances when teams flood. Where was plan B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My view of the game was that they, Brissie didn't flood, just the opposite.They made the ground too big for our girls to defend.

(At the risk of doing a quazar) yes, Monument Hills, you were spot on. It's like you're Nostradamas or possibly because you just watch a lot of women's footy. Lotto numbers for next week please.

Oi! :shoutyoldman: What's this jiggery-pokery.....?!?! "Doing the quazar" - sounds like a bad New Age '70s pop folk song. Might have to change my name at risk of losing all my known bad-ass street cred! :straining:

Shame on you! Also, never heard the term 'innovate' don't imitate!! Fffffs! :tongueclosed::tearsofjoy:

I might need to invest in a patent.

Now we've got those pleasantries out the way, what were those weekend lotto numbers again....please?!?! :tongueoutv1::laughv1:

P.S. you did very well with your summery, it has to be said :cool:

Oi! :shoutyoldman: What's this jiggery-pokery.....?!?! "Doing the quazar" - sounds like a bad New Age '70s pop folk song. Might have to change my name at risk of losing all my known bad-ass street cred! :straining:

Shame on you! Also, never heard the term 'innovate' don't imitate!! Fffffs! :tongueclosed::tearsofjoy:

I might need to invest in a patent.

Now we've got those pleasantries out the way, what were those weekend lotto numbers again....please?!?! :tongueoutv1::laughv1:

P.S. you did very well with your summery, it has to be said :cool:
i just thought it was funny you responding to your own post and thought I would give it a try.

i just thought it was funny you responding to your own post and thought I would give it a try.

I know ;) Just having some fun too. It must be the silly midlands UK style humour in me. Carry on, as you were :tongueoutv1:

They played terribly. That'll happen from time to time. It doesn't mean it was their system that failed.

The main reason I saw was their hesitancy at the contest far too often, which has been something Trent Cooper had rectified in his time as coach. Symptomatic of this was KAntonio chasing the loose ball at half-forward, initially she had acres of space but you could see her slow down as she got within about 10m or so (too far away), then as she got closer she got more hesitant and began to circle around the ball worried about it bobbling away. This allowed the Lions to close the space and she went for being in a prime position to attack the goals to struggling to keep possession. Too often they were flat-footed and waiting for things to unfold in contest after contest.

Plus given you watch plenty of AFLW you'd notice that ball efficiency is very much a work in progress for all teams, whether it's us (although I'd argue it's generally in the upper tier for the comp when playing well), or Collingwood, or Adelaide etc.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back