Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murph as sub.

SPS rotating on ball (pictured that).

Hope DC & Stocks play well enough to stay in for the season.
If it's good enough for Burgoyne to be sub on his way to 400, it's good enough for Murphy!

Just watched the highlights of the Bulldawg smashing last year, and it was indeed a smashing! They seemed to have the same group as this year, Trealor and Bruce aside, but the difference with our lot was the speed they used the pill through the corridor. Seemed like every goal came through a fast chain down the guts, or manic forward pressure, Eddie and Gibbo were on. Our tall forwards really exposed their defence, and the love was spread. As suggested earlier we do tend to match up well against the Dawgs, and I reckon with the inclusions today, although I would have also included Owies for Murphy as the medical sub, we will more than compete. '20 may have flattered the Lions, nearly every game they played was at home, cannot be ignored in the context of this year's begining, they are also 2 and 3, just like us. Stop Neale and there is not much else there, only luke warm over McCluggage....
Blues by a dozen

Just watched the highlights of the Bulldawg smashing last year, and it was indeed a smashing! They seemed to have the same group as this year, Trealor and Bruce aside, but the difference with our lot was the speed they used the pill through the corridor. Seemed like every goal came through a fast chain down the guts, or manic forward pressure, Eddie and Gibbo were on. Our tall forwards really exposed their defence, and the love was spread. As suggested earlier we do tend to match up well against the Dawgs, and I reckon with the inclusions today, although I would have also included Owies for Murphy as the medical sub, we will more than compete. '20 may have flattered the Lions, nearly every game they played was at home, cannot be ignored in the context of this year's begining, they are also 2 and 3, just like us. Stop Neale and there is not much else there, only luke warm over McCluggage....
Blues by a dozen

Very true - teams they have beaten of note since that game (all last year)- the doggies, pies, GWS, Melbourne, Sydney. But they have absolutely struggled this year on the road.

Interesting observation.

Who is your best 3 (exc ruckman) for starting centre bounces?

It's about structure all over the ground, not just best players

Centre square:
Cripps, Setters, Williams

Then rotations:
Kennedy/JSOS, they rotate with Cripps and Setters, so we always have a big body at the stoppages

Martin, Walsh, Fog, Gibbo, Fish to rotate through with the likes of a Williams

Ed to tag the likes of a Gaff type on a wing, but follow them into a stoppage if needed

Best thing for team and structure is Walsh to a wing
Understand your rationale; but I don't like that players go out to the wing and sulk because there not on the ball anymore, so Sam is penalised and sent back to a wing because ‘its best for the team’.
Sam is absolutely flying in the guts, can't see why the coach wouldn't leave him there, one of the only changes working this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Levi was our only effective forward last week IMO and has a HUGE HEART..... We cant afford not to play blokes that give it all.

Memo...... Samo

.. and compare that to Harry. If Harry doesn't lift his resilience and competitiveness, I'd be giving him the 'statement' omission that people are calling on for Murph and Eddie etc.

Best thing for team and structure is Walsh to a wing
Can't argue too much with that, except that he is a natural ball hunter and may struggle to hold to structures. The other down side is having engine room replacements up to speed.

Williams can be an inside mid, no question. However, he is integrating in to a new side and his traditional position is half back. I would be in favour of him having a week or three in a familiar, more comfortable role while the team is in some flux. Saad is hampered at the moment and not offering his customary run, while defending adequately under duress. Timely for Williams to operate out of the back half for a decent portion of the game. The advent of Stocker allows for rotations of sorts, and I would not be against SPS being included in a bit of a three wayo_O, with all playing their major minutes back.

Understand your rationale; but I don't like that players go out to the wing and sulk because there not on the ball anymore, so Sam is penalised and sent back to a wing because ‘its best for the team’.
Sam is absolutely flying in the guts, can't see why the coach wouldn't leave him there, one of the only changes working this year.

Can't argue too much with that, except that he is a natural ball hunter and may struggle to hold to structures. The other down side is having engine room replacements up to speed.

Williams can be an inside mid, no question. However, he is integrating in to a new side and his traditional position is half back. I would be in favour of him having a week or three in a familiar, more comfortable role while the team is in some flux. Saad is hampered at the moment and not offering his customary run, while defending adequately under duress. Timely for Williams to operate out of the back half for a decent portion of the game. The advent of Stocker allows for rotations of sorts, and I would not be against SPS being included in a bit of a three wayo_O, with all playing their major minutes back.

I have never been concerned with what suits an individual. When Walsh is on a wing, we have better drive and overlap on the spread, our stoppage numbers are similar to last year ( yes even considering the shorter game).

Only thing that matters is the team

Wouldn't be surprised if Treloar didn't go for us... Why would he choose us over the dogs?
Nicer jumpers ...?
Feeling safer in the car park after training?
Better restaurants in Lygon St. than Hopkins St ( except the asian ones of course)
thats not bad for starters ;) :p

And that is without mentioning the song.....

Fog - defensive tag on rich
Not for mine, after decent midfield minutes a fortnight ago, played predominately forward last week. A rotation of sorts, I think, due for some midfield time this week as he builds his tank after the preseason being pretty much his first. If we are playing someone accountable on Rich, would like it to be Cuningham who can hurt him the other way. The other option is Newnes.

While a tackling machine, I think Fog is better in an attacking role. With our years of struggle, it is too easy to blunt a willing tackler with a solely negating role. He is a good ball user, the ideal mid/HHF. I want Fog to be used positively with his innate defensive capabilities making inroads in to our lack of two way running.

A bloke like Cunners can grow from an accountable task, and may just thrive being led to the ball.

Wth the media blow torch on Carltons attitude towards its youth this week and total lack of accountability from older players - a failure today from Teague is going to pile on the pressure.

Unfortunately now it would seem that any senior players getting dropped in the coming weeks is going to be reactionary.

As someone mentioned yesterday - Liddle should have been front running this - instead he has remained silent.

Fair to say spot light on SPS, Murphy and Betts.

Odd day today .. the only thing it can really reveal is if Teague's days are numbered, in my view. If we come out as flat and poor as we know we can, after the week that was, I think that's a very bad sign for DT (and possibly Cripps' signing at Carlton).

If we come out hot and play high-pressure footy - doesn't reveal anything except that we responded to the media pressure, as any team is expected to.

Was the same deal as heading into the Freo game.. and I said the same thing then - will take at least a few weeks to see if anything has really changed, and here we are again back at the beginning of the cycle, sooner than expected. I was more pissed back then at our team selection. This time around, we've made the two obvious changes and injuries are largely controlling the rest.

Anything could happen today. Lions form has been so-so until last weekend. Ours has been pretty shite, but we've really had the blowtorch applied. Smart money would have to be on Lions.

I don't care much about the result - just looking forward to watching Cunners (esp) and Stocker running around again. SPS moved forward ever so briefly last week - hopefully he spends some time up the field. It's about seeing what the under 25s can produce at this point. Oh, and I hope Cripps plays first option and reminds us how creative his hands can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back