Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really wanted a better performance from kennedy last week. Maybe he wasnt played in his preferred position but that shouldnt matter. Still needed to show a bit more than what he did so not too fussed he is omitted.

Good luck to stocker and Cunningham.

A bit harsh imo. He tried his guts out when he was able to get near the footy.

There's a reason the bloke's never played wing before, he's an in and under player with no tank.

He either needs to be at the bottom of a pack extracting the ball for teammates, or deep forward kicking snags.

Admittedly, I don't know if he'll make it as an AFL on baller, but I'd still love to see him given a few weeks as a permanent forward to see what he can do.

There's a reason the bloke's never played wing before, he's an in and under player with no tank.

He either needs to be at the bottom of a pack extracting the ball for teammates, or deep forward kicking snags.

Admittedly, I don't know if he'll make it as an AFL on baller, but I'd still love to see him given a few weeks as a permanent forward to see what he can do.
i like kennedy and i hope he can make it at afl level. midifeld role may be out of his reach at Carlton. for the forward role he is competing with jsos who has a great work ethic and is a smart player and has trained hard to improve athletically as well so he is now faster and stronger. then there is mcgov who can turn a game on its head with a few touches. very smart player and although doesnt have a great work rate he is a teaugue fav so im not sure he is likely to crack into the forward line anytime soon.

Half-forward or bust imo, can't see him taking a midfield spot.

I don't recall him being so inaccurate in front of goals, so perhaps was the wing position.

That too.

In my opinion, our playing standards will go on a J-curve if we start dropping underperforming, older players. Give them a kick up the a**, and those seniors heads around them going through the motions. It will also give blokes like Honey, Philp, Owies greater incentive to really crack in with the knowledge that "Hey, I actually could get picked this week!".
This would be my thoughts as a young player for Carlton at the moment - "What's that coach? You want me to work on my defensive running patterns and pressure acts before I get a game in the firsts? Hmm why then is T-Rex arms, pack skirting, loopy handballs player X (let's call him that) still playing every game?"
Imagine playing twos and knowing there are 5 or 6 blokes in the firsts who never get dropped, no matter how bad they perform. It wouldn't exactly motivate a player more, I would have thought.
Good point our selection policy of rarely dropping an entrenched player and mostly only younger players which i dont feel is anything new .
May well be a reason that some players play there best footy in contract years .

In the last 16 games David Teague has only won games against :

North
Freo
Gold Coast
Sydney

Thats it.

GWS were right with them till that point - and had 10 players with less than 20 games in their team. Carltons team for most of this year has been in the top 5 or 6 oldest in the league.

Teague's success when he took over from Bolton came in playing some of the older players instead of Boltons desire to blood the youngsters. This initial wining phase has stuck - and he will not change. Player development is being killed as a result.
Freo ×2 GC ×2 NTH , Sydney last year yes that is damning very damning .
Begs the question why he has been so faithful to older players when they have'nt been there and done that as a group .

I guess consistent and volume of injuries that dont seem to want to relent could be the major reason .
Would have been interesting to see if he had of been so faithful and rigid in selections if we had a healthier list .
All the same time is running out hope the players can begin to repay the faith very soon .

Not too sure on the rules BB.

I think he's talking about the physical toll that would take, rather than there being any rules in place to prevent it.

Can't see why there'd be any rules against it, but you wouldn't do it unless you're absolutely desperate and short on numbers, which we're not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over to here for the game day convos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back