Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on now.

Come on? This happens after every loss these days, it's worse in here than it was in 2018 when we only two games for the season, we are 5 weeks into the season, some of the carry on here is ridculous.

He’s got a lot. It’s a really sad indictment on either he and/or the club that he’s not at least a very good contributor at afl level. People talk about his tank but it’s fine. His endurance running is definitely good enough. He would thrash Williams and Cripps in a middle distance race. His hands below knees, skills and pace are elite. He only needs to learn where to run. That’s ALL. How ******* hard is it to teach that with the video footage available to them for gods sake?
Probably the hardest thing to teach unfortunately

Come on? This happens after every loss these days, it's worse in here than it was in 2018 when we wonly two games for the season, we are 5 weeks into the season, some of the carry on here is ridculous.

With each dismal loss, it becomes more valid.

The 5 games we've seen this year are enough to show that very little has changed in a positive way, and I include the wins in that. For many, the performances are only validating expectations. Not all the posts are reactionary - many could see this coming.

With each dismal loss, it becomes more valid.

The 5 games we've seen this year are enough to show that very little has changed in a positive way, and I include the wins in that. For many, the performances are only validating expectations. Not all the posts are reactionary - many could see this coming.

Many are prophets of doom, ignoring the improvement in some areas over the past couple of years Then there are those unrealistically thinking that we should have been contenders. We sit pretty much where I thought we'd be sitting right now in light of injuries, etc. My biggest disappointment was the Collingwood game as I didn't rate them this year and I still don't.

We are a middle of the road team , we may scrape into the bottom of the 8, that's the best I think we could do. We aren't a top team by any stretch of the imagination, nor are we a bottom team.

Plenty of things to be sorted out yet and we have a rookie coach who needs time to find his way as well.

What exactly do you think that you saw coming that none of us mere mortals could as from my perspective there's been nothing surprising about where we currently are.

Many are prophets of doom, ignoring the improvement in some areas over the past couple of years Then there are those unrealistically thinking that we should have been contenders. We sit pretty much where I thought we'd be sitting right now in light of injuries, etc. My biggest disappointment was the Collingwood game as I didn't rate them this year and I still don't.

We are a middle of the road team , we may scrape into the bottom of the 8, that's the best I think we could do. We aren't a top team by any stretch of the imagination, nor are we a bottom team.

One person's prophecy of doom is another person's realism I guess.

I don't think it comes down to ignoring areas of improvement; I think it's a matter of judging whether the improvement is significant enough, ongoing and in the right areas to see us growing into contenders.

Didn’t our coaches in preseason say they want them doing things that they are already great at. How can a player show his strengths if they’re playing in positions not conducive to this.

How can Murphy feed the ball inside 50 from the HFF.
How can Dow run and store as from congestion or use handball to get out if he’s playing behind the play or in the forward line.
How can Fisher dart through a contest when he’s playing small forward
How can stocker use his bull like tackling and inside game from the back pocket. How can parks intercept if he’s playing in the back pocket or wing
How can SPS use his elite kicking of his disposals are off the back flank
How can Williamson run and carry if he’s playing as the deepest forward
Etc....

I’d run with this team, assuming Parks is ok.
B: Parks, Jones, Plow
HB: Saad, Weits, Williams
C: Doc, Walsh, Cottrell
HF: Gov Levi Fog
F: Betts Harry Cunners

Foll: Pitt SPS Cripps (play more behind the ball)

Newnes, Ed, Ramsay,
Kennedy Sub.

Murphy a rest

A tight tag on Daniel rich will go a bloody hell of a long way to beating Brisbane. I recommend setterfield or Cuningham.

Concerns I have this week are exactly the same as last week.

Lions can play 3 tall forwards, Hipwood, JD, McStay v Jones, Weitering and ??

Marchbank, OMac, Parks, all out, Willo while being undersized has lost form.

We only have 4 options from what I can see.

Levi, would struggle with agility against those 3, we would need a +1 in defense

Gov, while as quick as any of those 3, is clearly undersized

Levi/Pitto, whoever is rucking, then floats back, while the other pushes up around the contest. Yet centre clearances againtst would do little with this option

Deny/stagnate forward entries. With Teague's willingness to play full ground, attacking footy, this could hurt the most

I would try option 1 first up

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still need that little bit of experience and class. Betts at 34 shouldn't be keeping Cunners etc. out. Next year Murphy will be in the same position.
If Murphy is on the list again next year, then we are seriously flawed as a club particularly with whomever is making these decisions, he has been a club great but is definitely not a walk up start anymore, on form and output he’s actually now being gifted games which is really disappointing, not helping our problem atm is injuries to our better B22 players...

Last edited:
Concerns I have this week are exactly the same as last week.

Lions can play 3 tall forwards, Hipwood, JD, McStay v Jones, Weitering and ??

Marchbank, OMac, Parks, all out, Willo while being undersized has lost form.

We only have 4 options from what I can see.

Levi, would struggle with agility against those 3, we would need a +1 defensive

Gov, while as quick as any of those 3, is clearly under sized

Levi/Pitto, whoever is rocking, then floats back, while the other pushes up around the contest. Yet centre clearances againts would do little with this option

Deny/stagnate forward entries. With Teague's willingness to play full ground, attacking footy, this could hurt the most

I would try option 1 first up

Weiters + Jones on JD and Hipwood. Plow on McStay, he's the one who will do the least damage I reckon. If it's not working then try Levi but I really doubt McStay will have a day out.

How hard is it for the coach/es to look a player in the eye and say "we're giving you a run in the twos to tidy up a few things"?

I almost feel like Teague has come in and felt like the team is ready to go and that they don’t need any further standards instilled in them... Like they learned enough under Bolton and the game plan was the missing piece.

I’ve watched a lot of ‘making their mark’ and you heard the unrelenting/ unwavering standards which Matthew Nicks held his players to. He was willing to play 18yo players ahead of the likes of B Crouch because he didn’t run both ways and it was better for them in the long-term. They’re a far better side this year. Nowhere near the top 8, I’m not sitting here saying that. But they’re far better because they were held accountable to a certain standard.

I just don’t feel like that’s happening with us. Maybe it is and we simply don’t have the luxury of a behind-the-scenes documentary to show us, but there seems to be a lack of accountability.

I really hope Teague takes the team to the chopping block this week and makes a point. If you aren’t willing to do the basics right then you don’t deserve to pull on the jumper.. but I just simply can’t see it happening. I hope I’m wrong.

What worries me with Harry is he has been exposed twice badly for his opponent marking and will and playing off him racking up disposal .. Moore and alir - balta went alright also but not as damaging .. he just doesn't seem to be a competitive best -- is he to fragile
He is terrible at one on one in a contest, doesn’t know how to use his body correctly with a timely little bump, push out or just holding he’s feet and not being pushed & out positioned so easily from the contest...
Needs a good development teacher that can educate him in the art of a KP forward...

I almost feel like Teague has come in and felt like the team is ready to go and that they don’t need any further standards instilled in them... Like they learned enough under Bolton and the game plan was the missing piece.

I’ve watched a lot of ‘making their mark’ and you heard the unrelenting/ unwavering standards which Matthew Nicks held his players to. He was willing to play 18yo players ahead of the likes of B Crouch because he didn’t run both ways and it was better for them in the long-term. They’re a far better side this year. Nowhere near the top 8, I’m not sitting here saying that. But they’re far better because they were held accountable to a certain standard.

I just don’t feel like that’s happening with us. Maybe it is and we simply don’t have the luxury of a behind-the-scenes documentary to show us, but there seems to be a lack of accountability.

I really hope Teague takes the team to the chopping block this week and makes a point. If you aren’t willing to do the basics right then you don’t deserve to pull on the jumper.. but I just simply can’t see it happening. I hope I’m wrong.
don't need wholesale slaughter - just swapping new players in to get a look at them.........

Weiters + Jones on JD and Hipwood. Plow on McStay, he's the one who will do the least damage I reckon. If it's not working then try Levi but I really doubt McStay will have a day out.

Certainly another option

It's the options McStay gives you, though. On his day, he can be a very effective KPF, yet he is mobile enough to hurt you, if you play an undersized 3rd tall defender

Plow also has a decent record on Cameron

Knowing Teague, he will probably play russian roulette, hoping to force McStay to go back in defense

I think this is where the game will be won and lost (of course reliant on clearances)

Nup, I don't reckon. God I had high hopes and expectations - still remember throwing the arms out in a 'praise the lord' fashion at work when we called his name out. He looked like a ball-hunting, tackling machine back then too :(

He was... then we completely ****ed his career and his confidence by trying to turn him into a back pocket. Instead of getting him to go and hunt the footy and use his poise and skills where they’re suited most we’ve completely destroyed him. Disgusting. We’ll do the same thing with stocker at AFL level mark my words.

Patrick, just get it, you are the best in the comp at that. When you get it, give to to an an outside player to run. You burnt numerous players on the weekend trying to do too much. That’s not what made you a champion. Do you, Patrick. You are not Fyfe, Petracca or Dusty, do you!

Who is going to bite the bullet and hit him with the facts? Are they too scared he won’t sign if he gets genuine feedback. Even champions need coaching.

He is terrible at one on one in a contest, doesn’t know how to use his body correctly with a timely little bump, push out or just holding he’s feet and not being pushed & out positioned so easily from the contest...
Needs a good development teacher that can educate him in the art of a KP forward...

Exactly and his second efforts are almost non existent he needs a forward coach (Nick Riewoldt) to work on his craft because apart from lead out mark he does not have too many more tricks up his sleeve but if taught correctly and taught the right work rate could be a star.

But I tell you with our game plan and delivery forward of centre Wayne Carey, GA snr and Plugger would not kick many either we are the worst team by foot into fwd 50 by a long margin this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Certainly another option

It's the options McStay gives you, though. On his day, he can be a very effective KPF, yet he is mobile enough to hurt you, if you play an undersized 3rd tall defender

Plow also has a decent record on Cameron

Knowing Teague, he will probably play russian roulette, hoping to force McStay to go back in defense

I think this is where the game will be won and lost (of course reliant on clearances)

Or he'll put McGovern on him and push Willo forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back