Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on here somewhere that Murphy was being nursed to 300 as a reward for loyalty in previous years rejecting big offers from other clubs.

Casboult, Cripps, Saad clearly playing injured, but the Match Committee keeps picking them.

Players picked out of position.

Stale coaching, and a game plan that doesn't suit the cattle.

That's our club in a nutshell.

I'll go next week, but feels like ground Hog day.

One of Murphy or Betts to get dropped. About time to send a message to the playing group. I actually think it would help the youngsters mindset too. I'd imagine they'd be put a bit offside on the treatment of some compared to them.
Even if they were to be dropped, they would be 'managed' and not play VFL

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Some reasonably simple changes:

In: Stocker, Cuningham, Parks
Out: Kennedy (omitted), Murphy (kindly rested), Williamson (omitted)

SPS to midfield, Stocker to half-back, Parks replaces Williamson, Cuningham replaces Murphy.
Cripps gets the ball and handballs to one of our better players (SPS, Williams, Walsh).
We slow the play down and control the football more often.

If we’re being realistic there’s only two players who can come in, with a third at a stretch (and this is assuming that Doc and Weiters come up and we don’t have another Thursday injury)

Cuners in for Kennedy

Stocker in for Williamson.

Yes, I’d like to drop Murph. Yes SPS is on thin ice. Yes Eddie is not the future of the club. Yes Levi is a liability and frankly so is Gov. But other than bringing in LOB there’s nothing much to choose in reserves.

Don’t get me wrong Ramsey is starting to show something. Honey showed glimpses as well and so did Philp (when he was on). But those three are far from ready. Neither is Durdin. Owies could come in but I have no confidence his output will outstrip Eddies.

And while us fans might want to see if the young kids can make it, throwing them to wolves against Brisbane is a recipe for disaster.

Or to put it another way, it’s going to be at least four to five weeks before we start getting some troops back. In the meantime we have to hope that players like Dow or Setters find form in the magoos or that the ageing players in our side and our captains start to be accountable for the crap they’ve dished out.

It’s a miserable state affairs however you cut it.

ETA: If Parks is fine he’s comes straight in. But I’d read somewhere he had a hamstring.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Initial thoughts based on VFL reports:

OUT: Newnes, Kennedy, Betts
IN: Cuningham, Stocker, Owies

FB:
Plowman Jones Saad
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: SPS Walsh Williams
HF: Murphy Casboult Fogarty
FF: McGovern McKay Owies

R: Pittonet Cripps E.Curnow

Int: Gibbons, Cottrell, Stocker, Cuningham

Sub: O'Brien

Let's reward players who are decisive and quick with both their running and disposal, even if it comes at the small expense of some endurance base. In this respect, Betts is unlucky and Docherty, Cripps, Gibbons & Walsh are lucky, but swapping him for Owies is about opening up a little space in the forward line and he's making the least contribution up the ground. The other four are being so terrible with some combination of their decision making and their disposal execution that it's ruining the entire chain of possession due to the confusion and wasted effort that arises from it.

O'Brien as the sub because he will offer a decisive, precise and flat kick when called upon. He can spend his time on and off the track getting leaner, because our strength and conditioning team have absolutely ******* wrecked him by (presumably) trying to comply with getting him strong enough to play more around stoppages. Suffice to say, Barker is a ******* moron who keeps trying to put all our speed inside the bubble at general stoppages, and it's a delusional tactic that is completely divorced with what other teams are doing.

Someone should stop letting him try to put square pegs in round holes, and instead put his brick head out the front door. Any other coach that is driving these position and massive body type changes (appropriate weight loss aside) can also * off forever. Russell loves increasing mobility and explosiveness for players, so there's absolutely no way this was his idea.

McGovern shouldn't have been played, but you could see his match fitness improving as the game went on, so now he stays. Should have been more nimble in the forward line to compensate for Betts' overall output, but here we are.

How... Gov had more influence on that match in a delivery starved forward line and then as a lock down defender than Kennedy as a free floating no responsibility half forward who rotated through the middle. Gov stays and starts in defence and Williamson should Go out. Readdress govs position in the team when parks is fit again.
Happy to see Kennedy go because he can't cover the turf, but Williamson wound up applying a fair bit of running and pressure to the cause even before he moved forward.

Like Setterfield, we're not using him right, and like Setterfield I feel his confidence will be destroyed if we send him to the VFL now, especially with the vile head games I suspect our coaches are playing while they squabble about their own jobs.

I'm happy with Williamson in defence if he's used as an attacking outlet and given an appropriate general defensive or small defensive matchup.

In: Stocker, Cuningham Out: Williamson, Dow

Stocker was the standout in the reserves, it's time to just play him and see how he goes, nothing to lose by doing it.
Kennedy to be the sub again, I'd rather see Dow play full games in the reserves than have him as the sub. Cuningham in, not because I think he deserved it but we need to see him play a block of games like we did with Dow and also there is nobody else apart from Setterfield and LOB and I think both could benefit from playing seconds.

Despite having some better players out, others that perhaps should be getting a game and even players being played out of position, unless Teague refines the gameplan, it will only contribute to poor disposal

As for our goal kicking, just can't work out why we continue to rush, especially from set shots on goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite having some better players out, others that perhaps should be getting a game and even players being played out of position, unless Teague refines the gameplan, it will only contribute to poor disposal

As for our goal kicking, just can't work out why we continue to rush, especially from set shots on goal
apparently some of our players take 100's of shots at goal during the week. however when taking a shot on goal in the matches there really isnt much in the way of a routine to be confident about. as you say they often rush it or kick it around the body. no signs of practicing to a set routine.

Saw multiple players taking set shots with 10 seconds remaining on the countdown. Really ridiculous stuff, borderline moronic.

Rushed goal kicking, rushed exits from stoppages, rushed everything. Just goes with a lack of composure in the group I think.

I expect the match committee to make minimal changes akin to shuffling the deck chairs of the Titanic, and more meaningless rhetoric from the pressers between now and then. I can only hope the media savage us this week (and rightfully so) as that seems to be the only time action is taken at Carlton. Tough questions need to be asked of the football dept and they need to respond. It's just a question of how many weeks they're willing to wait it out...

I think we need to brace for the chance that Weiters may need to come out. I know he played the rest of the game, but he looked really dazed after that knock. I can already see the heat being put on the medical staff for letting him stay out there. He was wobbly and looked like he didn’t know where we was for a little while.
In other years I’d be more confident, but with the crackdown this year I think it will be looked at.

Rushed goal kicking, rushed exits from stoppages, rushed everything. Just goes with a lack of composure in the group I think.

Is it the group/players as such or the instructions?

I get that tactic when we have momentum and or in the last qtr if we are well behind and play on quick at all times, but early ish in the game seems suicide.

Have stated for some time that we need more speed and better users, but the current style we play will always contribute to poor disposal

Play the kids and start playing them in their proper positions. What's the point of giving Jones, E.Curnow, Murphy and Gibbons another 15 games this season. None of them can kick the football and they are already fully developed. Murphy and Gibbons especially who both can't tackle and their decision making is very poor.

In: O'Brien, Dow, Cuningham, Stocker, Setterfield
Out: Jones, Weitering (rest), Murphy, E.Curnow, Gibbons

B: Docherty---------------Casboult---------------O'Brien

H: Williams---------------McGovern---------------Saad

C: Cuningham------------Cripps-----------------Cottrell

H: Newnes----------------Kennedy----------------SPS

F: Betts-------------------McKay-----------------Fogarty

Foll: Pittonet, Dow, Walsh

Bench: Plowman, Williamson, Stocker, Setterfield

Emerg: Jones

Changes...

Everyone.

Lets bring in a new boot studder and social media team too. Just to be sure.

Maybe the mob in the cafe need to go too.

And the groundskeeper...have you seen the shade of green the grass is? What the hell is going on?

Sky is falling.

Arrrggghhh.

giphy-6.gif

Annnnnd.

Nope, I don't feel any better.

I wonder why we get so many little comments here?

Doesn't actually help in any way.

Is it the group/players as such or the instructions?

I get that tactic when we have momentum and or in the last qtr if we are well behind and play on quick at all times, but early ish in the game seems suicide.

Have stated for some time that we need more speed and better users, but the current style we play will always contribute to poor disposal
I've not seen much evidence to say its one way or the other. I start to wonder what the coaching panels response is to stats like being 18th in transition from d50 to f50. In itself not a good stat but it doesn't matter its the changes they implement from here. Which is why I think it's a touch more coaches than players at the moment. Just a touch though. We have a better list easily than many clubs we really shouldn't be dead last in any important metric regarding 'structure'.

Yeah the tactic we use all the time feels like the tactic that should be used situationally.

Owies would be a definite in had he not gone missing when the heat was on, 4 goals @ half time and finished on that.

I'd go Stocker, Cunners, Parks (if fit) in. Not sure who to shuffle out for them 3 but there are a variety of people that could go back to the reserves.

Owies would be a definite in had he not gone missing when the heat was on, 4 goals @ half time and finished on that.

I'd go Stocker, Cunners, Parks (if fit) in. Not sure who to shuffle out for them 3 but there are a variety of people that could go back to the reserves.
Hasn’t Parks done a hammy ? If so then he’d be out for weeks you’d think ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back