Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I/we bother, as it won't pan out this way, but wholesale changes this week.
Out: Dow, Williamson, Casboult, SPS
In: Stocker, Parks (if fit), Cuningham, Owies

On notice: Betts, Murphy

FB: Saad, Weitering, Doc
HB: Plow, Jones, Parks
C: Walsh, Cripps, Williams
HF: Fog, Gov, Cunners
FF: Betts, McKay, Owies
Fol: Pitto, Kennedy, Stocker
Bench: Curnow, Newnes, Cotters, Gibbo
Med Sub: Murphy

If we lose to Brisbane the footy world is going to completely lose its mind.

So before we lose to Brisbane do people seriously think that after last year we should have sling shotted ahead of them and should therefore win ?

I don't - I think we could with a full list - but not now.

If people think we should beat them - why ?

What about the Bombers ? Doggies or Melbourne ?

Can Saad lock down Charlie Cameron?? If so then put Saad in BP, have Stocker off half back to provide the run and distribution. Jones on Daniher, Weiters on Hipwood, Parks floating..

for structure we might be better with Walsh on a wing, either that or Cunners or Murphy go to the wing and play purely outside.

Can Saad lock down Charlie Cameron?? If so then put Saad in BP, have Stocker off half back to provide the run and distribution. Jones on Daniher, Weiters on Hipwood, Parks floating..

for structure we might be better with Walsh on a wing, either that or Cunners or Murphy go to the wing and play purely outside.

Saad could barely run in the Port game, I doubt that'll be much different on the weekend, being on Cameron seems like a big ask for him.

I really hope to see Stocker play this weekend, would be nice to see him get rewarded for his effort in the 2's.

Williamson seems to be lost at sea atm, give him some time in the 2's.

Parks unlikely to play due to the hammy injury.

So before we lose to Brisbane do people seriously think that after last year we should have sling shotted ahead of them and should therefore win ?

The only chance we have is if they are off their game and don't travel well.

It's not that we should win it, it's that we just need to. We should beat Essendon, then lose the next two.

But that puts us 4-5, hopefully some players start returning and we get a few lesser teams. Finish this block at 3-6 or worse, it's bad...reeeeal bad

someone who will fly the flag would be good. So far only LOB has shown that regularly. Crippa occasionally but Doc needs to and so does every other player in Navy Blue.
I really must rewatch the games LOB has played this year. There's enough people saying he flies the flag that I think my opinion needs to be re assessed to make sure I'm not 'seeing what I want to see' wrt to him as I was still under the impression he'd been short stepping.

This part of the Liam Stocker player evaluation has me concerned they won’t play him this week:

“As a defender, we want to see him really have a hard-nosed, defensive approach and that is something we’ve reviewed and talked through him with, particularly at a higher ball, the decision-making process, ‘does he fly or stay down and defend his man?’ They were just some things that we looked at with him.”

Sounds like reasoning for non-selection?

Interesting.

Would we say SPS has a hard nosed defensive approach to his game? I get that different players may have different things to work on but I would have though "hard nosed defensive approach" would be a non negotiable for a defender.

It’s not about if we win or lose IMO, as many have suggested, I’m really worried about how we are playing, losing is disappointing, but if we actually play in a way that suggests we are learning from mistakes and building a sustainable game plan I’ll be ok with a loss.

I don’t think we have slingshotted them and I don’t expect to win, what I expect to see is, my team give ourselves a chance at winning and to see us improve from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really must rewatch the games LOB has played this year. There's enough people saying he flies the flag that I think my opinion needs to be re assessed to make sure I'm not 'seeing what I want to see' wrt to him as I was still under the impression he'd been short stepping.

he'll come in and push and shove but wont put his head over the ball.....

It’s not about if we win or lose IMO, as many have suggested, I’m really worried about how we are playing, losing is disappointing, but if we actually play in a way that suggests we are learning from mistakes and building a sustainable game plan I’ll be ok with a loss.

I don’t think we have slingshotted them and I don’t expect to win, what I expect to see is, my team give ourselves a chance at winning and to see us improve from last year.

Exactly right, I expected us to win the port game if we brought our best and played to our strengths, but instead we did the exact opposite and looked like a bunch of headless chooks, still repeated garbage 50 entries, ad nauseam etc etc.

If we don't come out with ferocious tackling, pressure etc, I'll be extremely disappointed as it'll prove the club hasn't learned a thing.

I'll likely have an aneurysm if we keep up the bombing it in, running alongside opposition players, dinkly little pushes instead of tackling.

Seems very hard to believe the club wouldn't know about 18th for pressure, 17th tackles etc.

How can you not tackle as an AFL footballer? Beggars belief.

Sellers was exactly right about integrity of selection, fully expect to see Murphy, Betts etc out there.

Williamson likely to get dropped and that's about it and even then that's 50/50.

God forbid Cunningham gets a game, he's not going to light the world on fire, probably kick a goal etc, but how is that any different to some of our highest paid players.

Mcgovern kicks 1 goal a game if your lucky and he must be on 2x Cunningham's wage.

Not just this year, but previous games as well. I think he knows there is a perception that he's soft, and he goes out of his way to try and overcome that. I don't see his problem as one of hardness, it's composure.

Pretty much bagging us and saying we have gifted games to younger players in the past which is probably right but I just find his comments a little disturbing considering he was there for those years.I don’t know just dosent sit right.

If we hadn't been gifting games to younger players, there would have been times where we wouldn't have been able to field a full side.

You don’t know how religiously someone has supported the club so this is an unfair comment.

I’m 29 and haven’t seen a premiership (was too young to remember 95). I’ve gone through entirety of my life with this club being crap. Ive paid my membership every year. I’ve attended every game (a lot interstate too). And I’ve never once left a game early, ever. I remember sitting there in 2004 at Telstra Dome when Saints kicked 198 points against us and I stayed until the final siren because that’s what you should do. The bad times make the good time seven sweeter.

16 years later with a good list (on paper) and I’m still waiting. Enough is enough. I didn’t go last week and I won’t go again this week. I’m sick of being so heavily invested in a club and getting no enjoyment in return. I will start parting ways with my hard/earned $ again when they show me it’s actually going somewhere. Until then, why should I continue to bother.

I simply don’t care how this makes me look - I’ve been more than loyal.

I’m almost getting to this point as well Reg. I’m a little bit older than you so remember 95, really fell in love with the club at the 99 prelim final, that set off something in me that’s burnt with fire ever since! 2000 was awesome, 2001 decent and then...... ...... ... we all know what happens then. 3 competitive seasons in 20 years.... got within a kick of a prelim that’s it.

Lots of people who really support the club, pay memberships every year are fed up ...
I’ve been a member for over 20 years and the last 14 of them a social club reserved seat member home away... tens of thousands of dollars in membership, raffle tickets, merchandise for this club and we’re getting no bang for buck at all, no emotional nourishment from it .... nothing! It’s a disgrace and unless there’s a lot improvement this year there’ll be plenty that lose interest.

I used to go to the football with my dad and some relatives when I was young, dyed in the wool supporters and they lost interest after the salary cap scandal... never got it back! One of the guys in particular I couldn’t believe he lost interest ... he was about my age when it happened and he’s always said to me you’ll get to the age where it’s just not worth worrying about it because the club has lost what we had and they’re not worried about you.
I’m pretty close to getting to this which is sad and I never thought it’d happen.

I’m going on Saturday but my interest levels are waning.... to give you an idea how much I love the blues ...when people see me the first thing they start talking about is the blues. For me to start feeling like this tells you something!!

Last edited:
Make it happen MC!

CARLTON could unleash first-round draftee Liam Stocker in the senior team for the first time this year when the Blues face Brisbane on Saturday.

Blues fans have been urging match committee to select Stocker, who was famously taken by Carlton with Pick 19 in the 2018 draft after the club traded up the draft order to snare him.
The 21-year-old might’ve left coach David Teague with no choice but to recall him after he kicked one goal from 38 disposals, 13 marks, 10 intercepts, nine rebound 50s and five inside 50s against Aspley in Round 1 of the VFL.

I’m almost getting to this point as well Reg. I’m a little bit older than you so remember 95, really fell in love with the club at the 99 prelim final, that set off something in me that’s burnt with fire ever since! 2000 was awesome, 2001 decent and then...... ...... ... we all know what happens then. 3 competitive seasons in 20 years.... got within a kick of a prelim that’s it.

Lots of people who really support the club, pay memberships every year are fed up ...
I’ve been a member for over 20 years and the last 14 of them a social club reserved seat member home away... tens of thousands of dollars in membership, raffle tickets, merchandise for this club and we’re getting no bang for buck at all, no emotional nourishment from it .... nothing! It’s a disgrace and unless there’s a lot improvement this year there’ll be plenty that lose interest.

I used to go to the football with my dad and some relatives when I was young, died in the wool supporters and they lost interest after the salary cap scandal... never got it back! One of the guys in particular I couldn’t believe he lost interest ... he was about my age when it happened and he’s always said to me you’ll get to the age where it’s just not worth worrying about it because the club has lost what we had and they’re not worried about you.
I’m pretty close to getting to this which is sad and I never thought it’d happen.

I’m going on Saturday but my interest levels are waning.... to give you an idea how much I love the blues ...when people see me the first thing they start talking about is the blues. For me to start feeling like this tells you something!!

Yeah it really sucks man, I'm 28, I was 2 when the last flag happened, don't remember much of the early 2000's aside from Fev lighting up the MCG and being the best campaigner we've had since Sticks.

Remember getting the multiple wooden spoons in school/high school people made as a joke, went from making fun of Carlton repeatedly to just sadness what had happened to our great club.

I don't feel as if all is lost and naught, what gets me is the effort of the players that go out there every week, especially the highest paid ones.

Have been a member since 2008 when old man signed me up and I'll be here for the ups and downs, I remember jumping up and down in the lounge room with the family and dogs after Newnes kicked that amazing shot, can only imagine how that would of been in person, the highs and lows of AFL football.

Just really really sucks as we have no-one else to blame but ourselves for being in the position we're in at the moment, strongly disagree with people saying rebuild is a bust, burn the club down, start again.

But if we miss finals at end of the year, serious questions have be asked about Teague + Co, I mean Docherty on SEN on 15 March saying we expect to play finals etc. Somethings got to give, ffs.

Make it happen MC!

That's some impressive stats. Hope he isn't selected 😁

Last week we clicked and played our best for the year. Our players have said they played unselfishly, and that wasn't happening in the first four rounds.

Thought this week would be a slam dunk but I'm sure the media pressure is being used as motivation to get your boys firing. We often start slow so if your team comes out firing and spitting venom in the media direction you could get a jump on us. I reckon first quarter is going to dictate how the game plays out.

Hope you have a great game that shows plenty, without our performing us.

It's not about losing to them.

It's the way we lose. If we play a decent brand of football and still walk away with a loss, then while being disappointed with that loss, most rational supporters will take the positives out of it and look forward.

We want to at least feel like we're moving in the right direction.

A few years ago, you'd wear a loss and try and take the positives out of how the kids are performing. Hardly anyone on here cared if Murphy or Curnow played a blinder 2 years ago because we knew back then they aren't the future. But now, those kids have mostly grown up and entering their 4th season+ so now when we lose whilst having Murphy, Curnow, Betts etc in the team it's a different story.

If we're fair dinkum, we need to make some fair dinkum moves.

Can't keep doing the same thing expecting a different result... definition of stupidity...

I'd try:

IN: Stocker, Owies, Cuningham
OUT: Dow, Curnow, Willo

FB: Doc, JW, Plow
HB: Stocker, Jones, Saad
C: Cuningham, Cripps, Newnes
HF: SPS, Levi, Fog
FF: Betts, Harry, Gov
R: Pitto, Walsh, Williams

IC: Owies, Gibbo, Kennedy, Cottrell
SUB: Murphy

Get Samo out of the backline and put him where his dinky kicks might actually work.

Take a couple oldies out - keep Murphy as a sub so he can have his wish of reaching 300 without screwing our chances of winning games against good teams.

Willo and Dow can go back to the 2's and work their way in when they earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back