Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's some impressive stats. Hope he isn't selected 😁

Last week we clicked and played our best for the year. Our players have said they played unselfishly, and that wasn't happening in the first four rounds.

Thought this week would be a slam dunk but I'm sure the media pressure is being used as motivation to get your boys firing. We often start slow so if your team comes out firing and spitting venom in the media direction you could get a jump on us. I reckon first quarter is going to dictate how the game plays out.

Hope you have a great game that shows plenty, without our performing us.

He will be. :tearsofjoy:

I really must rewatch the games LOB has played this year. There's enough people saying he flies the flag that I think my opinion needs to be re assessed to make sure I'm not 'seeing what I want to see' wrt to him as I was still under the impression he'd been short stepping.
I think he doesn't mind a little push and shove as opposed to getting in for the hard ball.

So depends how you mean fly the flag. Yeah pushing around is nice but it'd be nice if he showed that same toughness when trying to tackle or get a hard ball.

Yeah it really sucks man, I'm 28, I was 2 when the last flag happened, don't remember much of the early 2000's aside from Fev lighting up the MCG and being the best campaigner we've had since Sticks.

Remember getting the multiple wooden spoons in school/high school people made as a joke, went from making fun of Carlton repeatedly to just sadness what had happened to our great club.

I don't feel as if all is lost and naught, what gets me is the effort of the players that go out there every week, especially the highest paid ones.

Have been a member since 2008 when old man signed me up and I'll be here for the ups and downs, I remember jumping up and down in the lounge room with the family and dogs after Newnes kicked that amazing shot, can only imagine how that would of been in person, the highs and lows of AFL football.

Just really really sucks as we have no-one else to blame but ourselves for being in the position we're in at the moment, strongly disagree with people saying rebuild is a bust, burn the club down, start again.

But if we miss finals at end of the year, serious questions have be asked about Teague + Co, I mean Docherty on SEN on 15 March saying we expect to play finals etc. Somethings got to give, ffs.
I'm in the same boat. 28 in June, haven't ever really seen success outside of 2 ok years.

The highlight of my Carlton life, in terms of excitement, probably is Eddie & Fev back in the day also. Obviously Judd but I feel like he was burdened with carrying a floundering team on a hiding to nothing. So even my fondness for Judds time is tinged with a bit of disappointment. Similar to Cripps now tbf.

I really must rewatch the games LOB has played this year. There's enough people saying he flies the flag that I think my opinion needs to be re assessed to make sure I'm not 'seeing what I want to see' wrt to him as I was still under the impression he'd been short stepping.
Went toe to toe with Banker is and didn't take a backward step in round 1. Only bloke to come in to remonstrate when one of ours got dropped.

Edit: Nankervis not Banker. Bloody autocorrect.

Last edited:
Very winnable game, if we show up. Still remember the resignation going into the 2019 matchup at Marvel, but happy enough to see how we'd start under Teague. One of the few joys the last few years, watching Cripps run around destroying the Brisbane midfield virtually on his own.

Keen to see how we back up after last week.

Looking forward to seeing Stocker this week (assuming the rumour of his inclusion is true). From what I saw of him in 2019 and in the recent highlights, looks to have a great blend of skill and toughness. We could use both. Glad he’s worked his way back after a tough 2020. Regardless of how he plays this week, think he deserves to string a few games together. Hasn’t played at the level for close to 2 years so we shouldn’t expect miracles early on. Still think he will contribute a bit early and then hopefully starts to really flourish as he gets comfortable with the pace of AFL football. Best of luck to the lad

You don’t know how religiously someone has supported the club so this is an unfair comment.

I’m 29 and haven’t seen a premiership (was too young to remember 95). I’ve gone through entirety of my life with this club being crap. Ive paid my membership every year. I’ve attended every game (a lot interstate too). And I’ve never once left a game early, ever. I remember sitting there in 2004 at Telstra Dome when Saints kicked 198 points against us and I stayed until the final siren because that’s what you should do. The bad times make the good time seven sweeter.

16 years later with a good list (on paper) and I’m still waiting. Enough is enough. I didn’t go last week and I won’t go again this week. I’m sick of being so heavily invested in a club and getting no enjoyment in return. I will start parting ways with my hard/earned $ again when they show me it’s actually going somewhere. Until then, why should I continue to bother.

I simply don’t care how this makes me look - I’ve been more than loyal.

Same as you, Reg. And understand why you’re not turning up alongside others. On a personal level for me though, not an option. I’m going to keep going week in and out. I love this club and footy means a lot to me. And the gratification of seeing us become a great side one day will be well worth it. A lot in here are as passionate and fanatical as one another. But the club needs to start taking accountability for where it currently is at and know that we will start getting more rowdy and unmoving in our attitude the further it goes.

We have power to change things, as a Liverpool supporter for example I’ve seen what the pressure put on by the faithful have done to change our position of joining the European Super League. We need to stop being soft at games ourselves again and start making some noise tbh. You and I being in our generation have gone through some of the clubs toughest times in its existence. We’ve got to stick tight and believe we can finally get to our glory days again. But I understand your decision to stop going.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Flying the flag" at AFL level is a crock these days.

Easy to grab someones jumper knowing there's a 99% chance they're not going to do a Barry Hall.

Flying the flag in a Div 2 Northern Footy League reserves game however....

"Flying the flag" at AFL level is a crock these days.

Easy to grab someones jumper knowing there's a 99% chance they're not going to do a Barry Hall.

Flying the flag in a Div 2 Northern Footy League reserves game however....
It's not a crock, it's just done differently.

If you see Cripps being double teamed a team mate coming in and laying a solid block is that. Or if someone tackles Walsh heavily and gives him some extra on the ground and a mate comes in to throw him off.

The GWS v Bulldogs rivalry is a good one, they've gone after Bontompelli loads and last time they played the Dogs got stuck in to anyone going after him.

You don't have to punch someone in the head to show some backbone and stick up for your mates and show pride in your club.

It's not a crock, it's just done differently.

If you see Cripps being double teamed a team mate coming in and laying a solid block is that. Or if someone tackles Walsh heavily and gives him some extra on the ground and a mate comes in to throw him off.

The GWS v Bulldogs rivalry is a good one, they've gone after Bontompelli loads and last time they played the Dogs got stuck in to anyone going after him.

You don't have to punch someone in the head to show some backbone and stick up for your mates and show pride in your club.
Yeah that's not wrong however I've never seen LOB do any of the bolded? Which is what was being discussed. I've seen him get involved in some push and shoves, that's it really.

Yeah that's not wrong however I've never seen LOB do any of the bolded? Which is what was being discussed. I've seen him get involved in some push and shoves, that's it really.
I agree, nor have I. Like you say I've seen him do the push and shove but never the proper stuff that'll make a difference to the game.

On the contrary one game last year LOB was the only player to stand up for a teammate when he was getting bullied and it was against someone heaps bigger , might have been Charlie Dixon even .

Worst team in the league for pressure & tackling. We have to bring in players who can do this and have been performing to a high level in the VFL.

OUTS
Betts (managed). Murphy (managed)
Williamson. Dow (needs to play VFL)

INS
Stocker. Owies. Cuningham. Ramsay (sub) - rewarded for good form in the VFL.

If we lose to Brisbane the footy world is going to completely lose its mind.

So before we lose to Brisbane do people seriously think that after last year we should have sling shotted ahead of them and should therefore win ?

I don't - I think we could with a full list - but not now.

If people think we should beat them - why ?

What about the Bombers ? Doggies or Melbourne ?

Purely looking at results, if we were to lose to Richmond, Port, Brisbane and Collingwood and beat Freo & GC...it's not actually that bad a start.

The first 3 I mentioned are top teams and premiership fancies. Brisbane have had a slow start but Neale & Co are finding form. OK Collingwood was a disappointing loss and we were off that night...but they were playing much better the first 3 weeks than the last 2. Also, bad losses and good wins happen to everyone...like us beating Geelong in Geelong last year. We'll have an 'unexpected' win at some point, maybe even this week.

I'd say it's if we lose to Brisbane AND Essendon next week that people will really lose their s**t and at the point it's more warranted. With Doggies to come in rd 8 we've had a really tough fixture to start the year, on top of a big injury list.

We absolutely dominated the play against Freo & GC...the criticism to a 28 point loss to premiership fancies Port has definitely been a little over the top.

Looking forward to seeing Stocker this week (assuming the rumour of his inclusion is true). From what I saw of him in 2019 and in the recent highlights, looks to have a great blend of skill and toughness. We could use both. Glad he’s worked his way back after a tough 2020. Regardless of how he plays this week, think he deserves to string a few games together. Hasn’t played at the level for close to 2 years so we shouldn’t expect miracles early on. Still think he will contribute a bit early and then hopefully starts to really flourish as he gets comfortable with the pace of AFL football. Best of luck to the lad

Well said BB15.
Credit to LS for persisting and forcing his way back into the team (assuming that is the case on Friday’s team announcement).
Like you I have long been a fan of his, and the traits he provides are ones we sorely lack - precision by foot, tackling and mongrel.
Hope he does get a decent chance, not only in the positions best suited to him (inside mid and HBF) but for an extended period. Dow got 4 games and failed to cement his spot, LOB got one and was yanked.
It’s up to you Liam - play so well they simply cannot drop you.

Yeah that whopping 4 tackle game, a career high for Lochie, was enough to convince me that he's a tackling machine and that his career average of 1.4 tackles a game is misleading.
I don't remember writing that he's a tackling machine...? But read into things what you want.

Your comment mentioned you wished he showed toughness when tackling or getting a hard ball.
Well, he was one of the only Blues in round one to show any intent.

Last edited:
someone who will fly the flag would be good. So far only LOB has shown that regularly. Crippa occasionally but Doc needs to and so does every other player in Navy Blue.
That's not toughness. Nothing will ever arise from it. Refer to previous definitions of tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back