Preview Rd 6 Carlton v Brisbane - Saturday 24th April 4.35PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team Post #964

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t just want to pile onto Teague, but those Stocker comments in the press conference have really annoyed me. I called it when I saw the coach’s VFL write up - they were laying the groundwork for not selecting Stocker, talking about his areas of deficiency rather than praising his efforts. Then DT mentions that Stocker may not be ready, rather than talking up the fact that he will play his first game in 18 months and that we are excited about what he’ll bring to the team. No, he has to pour cold water on it.
I swear, if Stocker isn’t in the 22 tomorrow night my faith in Teague will be at breaking point.
Someone here gave us the inside word he will be in this week.

It's Ok to have an opinion and mine is that there are too many here making assertions and accusations about our Coach's integrity and reluctance to play those he isn't BFF's with.

Your last few posts are indicative of this and I'm just getting very tired of that narrative.

So how can you possibly know that Teague is only bowing to public opinion and doesn't want to play Stocker.?

So if my response to you was snarky what do you think your unfounded criticisms of our coach are?

Teague is not a member of this forum and you're not his personal advocate. You and I are both members engaging with each other.

'Are you reading his emails? FFS' is not conducive to discussion.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Also why do the coaches bang on about how good Williams is in contested part of game I thought we needed mids with speed and spread and elite foot skills .. no use turning him into a bulldozer also

Malcom Blight - who most would agree is probably one of the best in the business - put it very well the other day. The media (and its the media, not the coaches or clubs) are obsessed with "inside" and "outside" mids. ALL players must be able to get their own footy, all players must be able to win their own ball. Any player that is just receiving the ball would be dropped pretty quickly and wouldn't have much of a career.

I agree.

To Williams - he has amazing speed, has incredible foot skills (Freo game - phwaaar) and gets his own ball. Lets complain about that shall we ?

Kernafides

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Old Social Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Jeezus, I don’t know about anyone else, but I think many here are overthinking what he said at presser, in summary it seems:

Stocker in at HB to replace SPS
SPS to guts
Zac to backline
Gov playing either end
Cuners and Owies a chance

Hooray, some flexibility, the dam wall has broken! I’m delighted.

I can handle Stock across HB where he blitzed last week. Though pretty good, I really don’t think he was blitzing it as a mid in the 2’s before that, as much as I think he’s a mid long term.

He made a big thing re Parks debut as he was actually playing his first game and had done it the hard way. Stocker is not making his debut, unlike Parks, so why do we think he’s insulting Stocker??

Personally I'd rather see stocker on ball than SPS.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague is not a member of this forum and you're not his personal advocate. You and I are both members engaging with each other.

'Are you reading his emails? FFS' is not conducive to discussion.

Yep, I guess I am an advocate for Teague as I am prepared to publicly support him. It is, however, not based on any personal connection so I guess you're right, I am not his personal advocate.

Rather pointless of us to engage here as you have made your opinion of Teague's player management skills very clear. I, on the other hand, am prepared to give him the time to prove himself that he hasn't been granted by you and those in agreement with you.

Incidentally I have already agreed with you that we are all entitled to an opinion and I have stated mine, but when I read something that says "If Stocker comes in it is due to public pressure. Teague does not want to play him, that is clear" it comes across to me far closer to a fact than an opinion.

My question really was how you know that?

In retrospect I may have worded it a little less sarcastically but I found it offensive and worthy of a response.

No more to say on this subject.

ETET

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Williams blitzing it, definitely not unfit, Ed - also blitzing it, with some additional howlers (sky bombs....??).
Re Ed, Great attitude, runs all day.. etc..but the sky bombs Curnow kicks while classified as a clearance often ended up in Ports hands.

I would like to see us play a game without him and see what we can get from someone else. Yes we will lose some things but we might gain a lot of other things. Would love to see it against Dons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds like such a simple game plan the commentators mention kick it long and lock it in.
Does that give the players an excuse to not have a care for the kick the game plan sounds so simplistic to the point of being ludicrous there must be layers I don’t understand my sons under 8s have the same game plan

Where does the forward line coach come into that game plan how can he possibly set up structures leads dummy leads around bang it in and set up a zone
It feels like this should be last option not first option
It feels like the good teams have layers of movement in there forward line that creates free players
I’m hoping with McGoverns mobility we can create more easy chances

Ive only been to 1 game (collingwood) and the fwd line was atrocious, absolutely zero leads and both Harry and Casboult standing 20m apart not moving. It was deplorable. Is it coaching, is it no leadership and people not knowing their rule, is it injury?

Harry had/has a bad ankle and may not be able to move much and Levi was really struggling with the knee but, and its hard to tell on TV, it seems we just dont move around and make leads and space for others. I was hoping with Gov back last week it would improve and he got some leads on the wing early (been an issue all year hitting a lead from the backline) but its hard to remember too many plays when we hit a player on the lead, its just a bomb on their heads and the opponents double team and waltz the ball out.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Malcom Blight - who most would agree is probably one of the best in the business - put it very well the other day. The media (and its the media, not the coaches or clubs) are obsessed with "inside" and "outside" mids. ALL players must be able to get their own footy, all players must be able to win their own ball. Any player that is just receiving the ball would be dropped pretty quickly and wouldn't have much of a career.

I agree.

To Williams - he has amazing speed, has incredible foot skills (Freo game - phwaaar) and gets his own ball. Lets complain about that shall we ?
He is below AFL average by foot this season . Maybe it's an adjustment period to change of position

Yep, I guess I am an advocate for Teague as I am prepared to publicly support him. It is, however, not based on any personal connection so I guess you're right, I am not his personal advocate.

Rather pointless of us to engage here as you have made your opinion of Teague's player management skills very clear. I, on the other hand, am prepared to give him the time to prove himself that he hasn't been granted by you and those in agreement with you.

Incidentally I have already agreed with you that we are all entitled to an opinion and I have stated mine, but when I read something that says "If Stocker comes in it is due to public pressure. Teague does not want to play him, that is clear" it comes across to me far closer to a fact than an opinion.

My question really was how you know that?

In retrospect I may have worded it a little less sarcastically but I found it offensive and worthy of a response.

No more to say on this subject.

I was supportive of Teague getting the job and have been patient with him in his early games.

I just feel that we talk about Stocker as though be has to show more than other players to get a game or even get some public encouragement from the coach.

The tone coming from Teague about Stocker is different to most of the list and I don't understand it.

There had been rumours about Stocker being arrogant and rumours surrounding his return home from the hub last year.

Applying the 'where there's smoke, there's fire' adage, I have concerns.

At this stage I don't want to lose players before they've had a chance to show their wares. I certainly don't want them becoming stars elsewhere while we wait for retirements.

I just want to hear Teague say something good about the kid.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
One thing Bolton did well, for all his faults, he'd be beaming if he got to talk about a young guy potentially making his debut.
Very true. It was as though he was talking about his own son making his debut every time. He'd fall over himself to give them a pump up and express excitement.

AB_Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 26, 2011
"South of the border"
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Also why do the coaches bang on about how good Williams is in contested part of game I thought we needed mids with speed and spread and elite foot skills .. no use turning him into a bulldozer also

This

Play him on the wing FFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back