Preview Rd: 6 - Dogs @ Saints, Marvel Stadium, 7:30pm Thursday 18 April

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not saying Cody Weightman is a ‘flat track bully’, but I’ve been as critical of him as anyone on our list. Mostly because he has talent but doesn’t use it very well. I believe he has been badly coached in 2 critical areas. That final against Essendon in 2021 is still talked about by Essendon people and others as an example of staging for free kicks. The fact he was still doing this in that game in Darwin last year, 2023, was an embarrassment. The other area he has been badly coached is flying against JUH or Naughton nearly every game, stupid football. Just imagine if forward pockets were doing this to Dunstall or Lockett? We have 145 coaches and they are full time professionals and this still happens?
That forward coach who is responsible for Cody has kicked a total of 14 goals in his AFL career

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whether Lobb is fit or not, it's almost worth a CBA of Bont, Treloar and 2 other mids, given English's timidity last night. Concede the ruck completely but outnumber them at the fall of the ball... *

* Obviously this is a p1ss-take. I think... 🤔
Macca's best position has been staring at us all along - ruck!

I assume all the folks calling for Tim to be dropped don’t realise Lobb was in ice last night? Deserves to be dropped but not sure who rucks in his place.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is where the Josh Dunkley trade will come back to bite us.

In

Harmes, Daniel, Garcia, Freijah or Clarke

Out -

Libba, Gallagher (rest), Baker, Dale

Any of the Ins besides Garcia can start as sub, prefer not to start a first gamer there so maybe Harmes?
Would have Daniel as the sub from that lot. Has versatility and can impact as fresh legs

Nice post and I agree with most of your points. I love Cody but really think he has to go to the next level as a player my biggest criticism of him when he is down he gives nothing when he is up he gives everything. Hopefully that's age and experience and he can turn that around and be more of a consistent player

I think some of it is also what happens with small forwards, it's either feast or famine. We weren't exactly getting good entries to give him a chance.
Never really see him not having a crack it just doesn't fall his way sometimes.
I think he could hold back on some of his screamer attempts , just have to accept the odd howler as he does take a few good screamers

No matter what changes we ring (& as usual it will be less than we call for) all I know is it’s a friggen chore watching this current iteration of our team. It even looks like a chore for Bevo and a lot of the team.
All excitement and joy has been drained out of game day. I used to wake on match day and couldn’t wait to go and for it to start. Now it’s more meh, will I go, why should I bother.
I couldn’t stand feeling the way I did against the Eagles last year, Melbourne (again) this year and Friday against our supposed bunnies again.
So many other disappointments we could reel off. Recurring nightmares are more fun.

Give us something to get excited about again. Please

Macca's best position has been staring at us all along - ruck!

Possibly- but I'm suggesting* no ruck. No one jumps, just let oppo ruck tap it down to our 4v3 mids. It's like conceding 5 on the mark, but in the ruck!

* I'm still not sure if I'm serious!
(But I remember that brilliant coaching tactician Garry Hocking coaching Peel in Perth early 2000s. In desperation when being hammered, he started a centre bounce in the last quarter with all 18 players in defence - no forwards, no wings and NO ONE at the centre bounce. Luckily we have 6-6-6!)

Possibly- but I'm suggesting* no ruck. No one jumps, just let oppo ruck tap it down to our 4v3 mids. It's like conceding 5 on the mark, but in the ruck!

* I'm still not sure if I'm serious!
(But I remember that brilliant coaching tactician Garry Hocking coaching Peel in Perth early 2000s. In desperation when being hammered, he started a centre bounce in the last quarter with all 18 players in defence - no forwards, no wings and NO ONE at the centre bounce. Luckily we have 6-6-6!)
Flying wedge ftw

Our midfield is getting well beaten in the centre bounces. We need to fix this before anything.
Lobb to replace English. Needs time in reserves to focus on ruck craft. He is getting outmanoeuvred far too easily.
Unfortunately libba will be out. Garcia deserves a shot . I would bring in harmes as well and move Gallagher to sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume all the folks calling for Tim to be dropped don’t realise Lobb was in ice last night? Deserves to be dropped but not sure who rucks in his place.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lobb also isn’t a first ruck.
Amazing though that some people don’t even realise he is injured.

SweerI'd give Sweet another crack...oh, that's right:think:
Ashton Kutcher Tattoo GIF

Nice post and I agree with most of your points. I love Cody but really think he has to go to the next level as a player my biggest criticism of him when he is down he gives nothing when he is up he gives everything. Hopefully that's age and experience and he can turn that around and be more of a consistent player

I'm with you Fred. The difference between his good games and his average games is huge. It's like my golf, I can shoot lights out then next week play as if i've never played the game before.
Cody at times is amazing, at other times he gets lost and barely is involved. I know it isn't an easy position but the difference between his best and worst is huge.

If English is looking dodgy can we bring back the duel ruck weapons

Out English
In Zordy and Dunks

Our midfield is getting well beaten in the centre bounces. We need to fix this before anything.
Lobb to replace English. Needs time in reserves to focus on ruck craft. He is getting outmanoeuvred far too easily.
Unfortunately libba will be out. Garcia deserves a shot . I would bring in harmes as well and move Gallagher to sub.
we needed to fix it last year but it keeps happening... when is enough enough?

Id rather get trounced watching some kids in there rather than the so called all australian side midfield we supposedly have

Feel like Clarke has to come in.. Just to provide some form of spark and positivity.

It's a shame English can't be dropped after that pathetic performance.

Hopefully Garcia gets the opportunity as a full time mid. He's earned that right. Not plonked on a flank and attending 3 centre bounces.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back