Preview 2021 Round 6 - Melbourne vs Richmond, Saturday 24/04 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
need to go in hard in the midfield like the 2nd and 3rd quarters last week except do it in the first quarter. if we get 30+ up by sometime in the 2nd it's all over for the dees they will crumble from there

need to go in hard in the midfield like the 2nd and 3rd quarters last week except do it in the first quarter. if we get 30+ up by sometime in the 2nd it's all over for the dees they will crumble from there
And then sub aarts out at 3/4 for some bullshit ‘hamstring awareness’ and release MRJ to run rings around them for a quarter

Watching Hawthorn play Melbourne this weekend was like watching a faction fight within the Liberal Party. I would so love to have Stacky available to repeat his hit on Viney, but, in the absence of that, Nank and Picket should double team to smash Gawn to smithereens, and while he's lying prone and aching on the ground, Pickett should just whisper in his ears that the Gilmore Girls is rubbish TV and really make him cry. Then he should produce a shaver and remove the beard.
did lol, very good work!

It's Round 6, I don't know why they would consider rushing players back from injury so early in the season. I'm glad our fitness staff always take the more cautious option. May still has a fractured eye socket, another hit and he could be out for a lot longer. Same with Fritch and his broken hand, why risk it so soon?

Come on mate, it is the only Grand Final they're going to play in this year, you only get so many cracks at glory before the window closes.

They're actually looking really good, and some of the areas they excel are areas we aren't so strong at.
Gawn will dominate against us, especially if we only play Nankervis. He will need additional support and even then, Gawn is likely to be the best big man on the ground. So they excel in our ruck weakness.

Also without Prestia, their midfield has the potential to smash us inside. Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Jones will be very formidable inside and doing the grunt work. We probably have them on the spread if it gets out, but there's every chance they dominate the clearances so I think their strength there is challenging to one of our weaknesses without the Meatball to help. To mitigate this, one of RCD or Ross has to come into the 22. I think we are going to need that extra player in the mid rotations and hope they are ready to have an impact.

The areas I think we are on top, is that I think our forward line stacks up well, particularly if May misses again. I rate the firepower of Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin plus our rotational smalls compared to their team. Ben Brown could be a danger if he plays, but he could also be coming in for his first game and not have a big influence or synergy yet. I also think our back 6 has the edge, and just need our mids to break even. The danger is if the mids are smashed the back 6 will be under siege and missing Vlastuin still will hurt.

A lot of our forward strategy depends on if May plays. If he doesn't then Jack and Lynch need to play as far away from each other as possible to isolate the other against the lesser KPD, and force Lever to choose one or the other rather than sitting loose and zoning to cover both of them.

We know that in the first 10 or so rounds, Richmond are more of a grind and get results rather than playing our best football. I feel the Demons are on a higher level than that at this point of the season, and so wouldn't be surprised if they get up. The final thing in our favour though is that Richmond do generally turn up in the big games, and while the Demons will not lack motivation, in front of a big crowd (unsure of the capacity limits?) on the big stage Richmond have to have more trust in them.

It's a genuine 50/50 game for mine. IMO we need to split the Demons/Dogs 1-1. It would be a big ask to win both on current form of all 3 sides, but we can't afford to lose both either.

I think this is a better match up for us, and tipping the Tigers to shake some of the early season cobwebs and flex a bit of muscle to win a great contest by 8 points.
As usual an honest appraisal. This game like the P/A game will be lost if we dont get somewhere near parity in C/P, Clearances and I/50's.

This side and i leave myself open to ridicule once again!!!! over the last 5 or 6 yrs has been a bit like us in building up to our 2017 premiership.
I dont think they are any longer easy beats and have gone thru an awful lot of pain just like we did. Hmm are they ready to go we will see.I hope not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As usual an honest appraisal. This game like the P/A game will be lost if we dont get somewhere near parity in C/P, Clearances and I/50's.

This side and i leave myself open to ridicule once again!!!! over the last 5 or 6 yrs has been a bit like us in building up to our 2017 premiership.
I dont think they are any longer easy beats and have gone thru an awful lot of pain just like we did. Hmm are they ready to go we will see.I hope not.

I agree with this - have assembled a pretty solid list and starting to play as a team

should be a great game

If we bring our pressure and intensity like we did against the saints they are no chance. Let's be honest guys when we are on and hunting no team in history can be beat us let alone the comp. That's why we have won 3 flags out of 4 . Because our best is by far and away the best in the comp and of all time.

Our finals wins by big margins prove it . We bring it on when it matters most.

Hence if we are off with our pressure there's a good chance we can get done. Just depends on our mindset going in

I personally rate Melbourne. People questioning their opponents after a 5-0 start may be doing the same thing that others did when questioning our 5-0 start in 2017, which brought about the famous “still didn’t beat anyone good” phrase on this board.

The fact that they didn’t go 5-0 in a long time and have done so this year is a sign that they’ve built a bit of resilience and consistency (their biggest issues) in my opinion. Talls of Brown, Weideman and Fritsch coming into the side is probably going to be problematic for our defence (our tall defenders are still not in their top form) and us having CCJ, Riewoldt and Lynch in will also be an issue for their defence without May in my opinion.

Not sure about this one. If we get belted in the middle then Melbourne’ll likely win with that forward line in my opinion. If we get more repeat entries inside 50 like we tend to do against them then I expect that we’ll probably win. The only thing is that we can’t just play Nankervis on his own. He needs to play with another tall so CCJ in this week is the logical choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back