Autopsy Rd 6 vs Port Adelaide: Bathwater cocktail brings us back to Earth

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, we just couldn't crack them. Every time we goaled they got it back. Port spread better and played better team footy.

We hardly had a whole field ball movement. And I thought Maj was good in the ruck, or at least, intensity went up when he was on ball.

Best for me: Cunnington, EVW, Maj, Clarke, Ziebell. Most players did good things. Didn't notice Turner all match, and I thought McDonald was disappointing.

Whoever allowed Sam Gray to kick 4.1 and get it 20 times should be dropped.
Whoever was Polecs direct opponent should be dropped.

Absolutely insipid defending on two guys who cut us up all day.

Jamie MacMillan. This isn’t a Jamie bashing post. I like Jamie and see why he’s in the team.
But please. The lack of physical pressure, to exert yourself at a contest, to somehow discredit your opponent from a certain goal is nothing short of offensive.
What a pathetic display of defending for if it we’re Ed or Majak, he would be back in the 2s quicker than a toddler with diarrhea.

The peahearted efforts at CHB and on the city side wing were disgraceful.
You line the ball, you take the body out with you and you keep your feet. Twice it cost us. I don’t care how experienced you are and how vital you are to this team, when it’s your turn to go you go and that was as shameful a display on the field that we’ve seen all year.

Positives now and highlights for me were Simpkin, who relished the freedom of given the license to run thru midfield and impact the contest in Higgins absence.

Jed Anderson’s manic attack on ball and man.
It’s wonderful to watch and fast becoming a fan favorite.

Majak was near best on for us. Solid, reliable and a calming influence on a defense under siege.
Can hold his head high.

Sadly the lack of Higgins highlighted once again that Cunnington is our only pure midfielder and boy did it show.

Continuity, continuity, continuity. Get this groups games played up as quick as possible. Watch out 2020 in that case.

Their pressure was telling. Even our usually quick blokes appeared to have opponents (plural) who were as quick or quicker, leading to panic kicking. Fair play to them. Schmitt starred also, even though the bloke behind me spent three hours yelling "get f***ed Stevic" everytime Schmitt produced his bullschmitt.

• Simpkin and Anderson the big positives for mine. EVW does some great things. Daw is starting to look at home down back which I didn't think he was up to - kudos Majak.
  • Cunnington is our best player
  • I didn't hate Goldstein's game. A bit more presence around the ground would be ideal but his taps at times were terrific
  • It wasn't a typical Jacobs game - plenty of the ball but didn't use it well and didn't negate particularly well
  • Clarke's kicking is still iffy
  • Hartung battled a bit under pressure (albeit immense pressure)
  • LDU will be great. Getting the first goal of his career might give him a shot of self-belief
  • J-Mac and L-Mac were forgettable as others have noted
  • Atley was very quiet
  • So was Dumont
  • So was Turner
  • Ziebell wasn't great but recognised it - tried to apply some physicality when the game was getting away from us. He'll bounce back.

Don’t normally post on opposition boards but it’s the first Kangaroos game I’ve seen for a while.
Was impressed with the improvement in Majak Daw. His effort was impressive today and his tackle on our captain should have been a spark for you guys.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are building a team of hard 2 way runners and I’m enjoying this year more than ever!! I think Pruess needs to play over goldy. Listen goldy played ok I thought but Pruess would ragdoll players and continue to make us go another level. We need to find and good HBF next year as well as a Good midfielder and I can see us actually be scary. We are not far away.

I thought the players tried hard in general but I was disappointed in some efforts from certain experienced players. Jmac, LMac and Dumont need a spell in the 2s. They are all inconsistent and underperforming.

We lack midfield depth and everything else is secondary to that.

Pretty simple really.

It really is that simple, but I think I'll blame Kayne Turner anyway.

We lack midfield depth and everything else is secondary to that.

Pretty simple really.

Due to this our pressure needs to be off the charts.

It wasn't but it also wasn't bad.

In 12 months maybe we win this game due to growth of younger players closing some of the mid depth issue.

Due to this our pressure needs to be off the charts.

It wasn't but it also wasn't bad.

In 12 months maybe we win this game due to growth of younger players closing some of the mid depth issue.

I thought our pressure was good but as soon as it came out they spread better and got cleaner ball into their forward half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought our pressure was good but as soon as it came out they spread better and got cleaner ball into their forward half.

During the Hawthorn game we pressured the exits and swarmed the ball carrier.

They moved the ball out the back often.

I really don't think we were that far away tbh.

Brad had done 2 rebuilds, comparing the two we clearly have a more defensive mindset and approach this time round. I expect us to be better overall.

Ok here's my 2 cents worth as its the first game I've seen live for a while.

Ports 'plan A' was simple, have Dixon ruck the whole game and have a 'Richmond' forward line set up with an athletic big (westhoff) and a mosquito fleet at his heels (gray bros, wingard, resting midfielders).
Flood the backline to limit BBB's/JZ's impact and back in their extractors Wines, Boak, Ebert and Polec to win the midfield battle.

Every area of the ground their game plan worked;
Dixon nullified Goldy
Cunners & Jed aside their midfield killed us
BBB was illegally gang banged for 80 mins and probably should've kicked 10 if the frees were paid correctly
Westoff was everywhere and of all people Sam (Kerridge) Gray kicks a bag!

What I also noticed at ground level was our reluctance to have a shot at goal on the run.
Frog's and Zurhaar's non-attempts at the start of the 3rd and 4th quarters respectively were confidence sapping for the team. Both were 40m out on slight angles with no immediate pressure, if either go through (especially Frog's at the start of the second half) it would've got the team revved and the crowd screaming. Baffling.

At the end of the day Scott had no answer to Hinkleys game plan which worked to perfection, oh and the 4-5 goals Kimmie Schmidt gifted them in the first half didn't help either.

However, with Jy, UDL, Zurhaar, EVW and co the future is bright and that I am certain. See you again soon Melbourne.

Going heavy on the wings worked last week but failed big time this week.

Smashed in the midfield and it all just fell apart from there with each play.

I have so much more respect for cunners this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was really silly to go with an extra tall in the backline. I like what Maj has brought to the table but for team balance it would have made a lot more sense to have an extra runner.

Our biggest down fall is midfield depth. Cunners and Anderson done most of the heavy lifting yesterday but they lacked support. In pre-season I was really hoping Dumont would step up and fill a bit void in the centre square but he has failed to do so.

It’s imperative that we target some players at this draft that can win their own ball and provide run on the outside.

It was really silly to go with an extra tall in the backline. I like what Maj has brought to the table but for team balance it would have made a lot more sense to have an extra runner.

Our biggest down fall is midfield depth. Cunners and Anderson done most of the heavy lifting yesterday but they lacked support. In pre-season I was really hoping Dumont would step up and fill a bit void in the centre square but he has failed to do so.

It’s imperative that we target some players at this draft that can win their own ball and provide run on the outside.

While I agree with this I think this comes down to the rebuilding mindset. We don't really have the depth to compete straight up with a strong running midfield. We're banking on using our assets (talls in backline and forward) to make up the difference. There's probably a fair argument that the way we structured was the only way to potentially win whereas going smaller without the players just means a slower, more measured loss. The game we played allowed another decent hitout for Maj as a defender and under more pressure. Give if another few weeks and potentially Ahern might be one to come in.

I have to say I'm reasonably happy with how Brad is going this year. Even in our two bigger losses against Melbourne & Port there was never a feeling for me that we weren't still dangerous with a good 10 minute period. In both games we've had 15-20 minute dominations by the opposition and have still managed to look competitive.

Another couple of good classy mids on top of an uninjured list will see us in finals IMO. Another one or two on top of that and we will be getting serious.

I thought the players tried hard in general but I was disappointed in some efforts from certain experienced players. Jmac, LMac and Dumont need a spell in the 2s. They are all inconsistent and underperforming.

Unfortunately, the three players mentioned plus Atley are in a group of mid size, long established players who have remained B grade standard. While not everyone can be A Grade it's important that guys coming through like Jy, UDL, Ahern and Willy Walker become next level footballers.

LDU needs to be persisted with.

Is getting caught at the moment, like Cunners used to do.

Will adjust accordingly and we'll be all the better for it.
He's still coming to grips with the pace and intensity of the game at AFL level. He won't make that adjustment in VFL but he may need a rest now and then.

Did a few nice things and made a few blues.

Will be an absolute star in a couple of years.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

This is my 20 cents
Young guys good future right there
We really needed Higgins
Goldstein did some ok things but bring in Pruess .
Brown will kick 70 80 this year barring injury . The umpires need to give him the frees that are there he would have kicked 10 .
Waite will kick his 45 50 barring injury .
Cunnington really good along with Anderson .
Majak is Xfactor and a monster love what he did . Opposition s**t themselves when he was near them . I've always been a fan .
LDU will be a player . Ziebull was also impressive .
Macmillan is a rotating door at times and very frustrating .
Give Ahern , Walker a go .
We didn't get smashed .
We will cause teams problems .
North an look forward to some good seasons ahead .
GO ROOS !!!

This is my 20 cents
Young guys good future right there
We really needed Higgins
Goldstein did some ok things but bring in Pruess .
Brown will kick 70 80 this year barring injury . The umpires need to give him the frees that are there he would have kicked 10 .
Waite will kick his 45 50 barring injury .
Cunnington really good along with Anderson .
Majak is Xfactor and a monster love what he did . Opposition s**t themselves when he was near them . I've always been a fan .
LDU will be a player . Ziebull was also impressive .
Macmillan is a rotating door at times and very frustrating .
Give Ahern , Walker a go .
We didn't get smashed .
We will cause teams problems .
North an look forward to some good seasons ahead .
GO ROOS !!!

I liked almost all of this except for the bizarre Goldstein replacement.

He won the ruck yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back