Autopsy Rd 6 vs Port Adelaide: Bathwater cocktail brings us back to Earth

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Port were just too good. They were cleaner around the contest, our boys fumbled a lot which often lead to a tackle or Port winning the ball.

They stopped our run. Too often they forced us to go long down the line when coming out of defence.

They knew we were going to bomb it long to Brown, and they stopped him from having any decent chance of taking a mark- holding or otherwise. s**t umpiring but once they (and North) knew they’d get away with it we still just put it on his head and the Port defenders just peeled off and went to Brown. Our blokes should have provided a short option about 40 meters out from goal.

Port were just too good. They were cleaner around the contest, our boys fumbled a lot which often lead to a tackle or Port winning the ball.

They stopped our run. Too often they forced us to go long down the line when coming out of defence.

They knew we were going to bomb it long to Brown, and they stopped him from having any decent chance of taking a mark- holding or otherwise. s**t umpiring but once they (and North) knew they’d get away with it we still just put it on his head and the Port defenders just peeled off and went to Brown. Our blokes should have provided a short option about 40 meters out from goal.
I thought the biggest difference was a combination of their ability to but tackle pressie on and their spread from the contest. This what meant they had better ball use into their F50 because we were always bombing long under pressue where as they could hit targets as small as fricken Sam Gray

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dixon was competitive but Goldy clearly headed him in the quality of hit outs. It was the Port structures around our mids that quelled his influence.

We were broken down a lot.

Most of our outside second link blokes had very ordinary days. Hinkley went to work on Hartung, Dumont, MacMillan, Ats & Zurhaar and blunted their effectiveness. IMO, that and the umpiring were the result in a nutshell.

Dixon was clearly under instruction to jump into Goldy at every opportunity. I read someone in here bagging Goldy because a non-ruckman was able to push him out of the contest. Dixon is no bean pole. He's 3kg heavier and only gives up 1cm to Goldy. His goal was to neutralise Goldy as much as possible. He did a pretty good job, especially around the ground. Not so much at centre clearances where he is not allowed to take out Goldy's run at the ball.

But you are right, Goldy still well and truly won the contest. On that note, I bet Rick18 could put together another video compilation of centre clearances and compare them to last week's package to show that Goldy did pretty much the same thing he did last week. The only difference is that Port was better prepared, they'd been to school on last week's demolition of Hawthorn and so all of these deft taps to position were either cut off by Port, or without the clean hands of Higgo assisting Ben10, we fumbled and gave up the advantage.

And further to your comments about Hinkley going to work on our second link blokes, I think he also destroyed our forward set up and we had no Plan B. The irony is that all of the media exposure this week may have contributed to our own bathwater drinking and to Hinkley's ability to prepare.

domiroo

It’s a big kick it’s long kick it’s a goal .....
Dec 26, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Catanzaro / Manchester City
Because his dad played to few games.
Well so did Kellys dad and there's a jizz fest over him . What's the difference . I think Paul Spargo played more games for North than Kellys Dad .

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought the biggest difference was a combination of their ability to but tackle pressie on and their spread from the contest. This what meant they had better ball use into their F50 because we were always bombing long under pressue where as they could hit targets as small as fricken Sam Gray

The pressure was through the roof. We applied it well too, but like you mentioned they handled it much better then we did. I thought our pressure was probably even better this week then last week, but Port were much better then the Hawks

The pressure was through the roof. We applied it well too, but like you mentioned they handled it much better then we did. I thought our pressure was probably even better this week then last week, but Port were much better then the Hawks
63 to 81 tackles suggests they applied a lot more pressure.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Wow the negativity on hear is astounding. Coming off a big game last week I think we were a touch down, but we were simply beaten by a better team who applied constant pressure across the ground all day.

Plus those calling for Goldstein to be dropped have NFI. Preuss is still a fair way behind him in tap work and getting around the ground. People have very short memories as it was only last week that Goldy's ruckwork was so widely applauded.

And I am sick of the JMac bashing. Surely the people in charge of coaching know a bit about the players than some of the keyboard warriors on here...

Finally let me point out that at the start of the year we were all expecting to be bottom 4 this season and now everyone is carrying on after losing to a finals contender????

Seriously chill out peeps.

I wasn't expecting bottom four at all.

Even less so after some of our efforts over the first five weeks.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Wow the negativity on hear is astounding. Coming off a big game last week I think we were a touch down, but we were simply beaten by a better team who applied constant pressure across the ground all day.

Plus those calling for Goldstein to be dropped have NFI. Preuss is still a fair way behind him in tap work and getting around the ground. People have very short memories as it was only last week that Goldy's ruckwork was so widely applauded.

And I am sick of the JMac bashing. Surely the people in charge of coaching know a bit about the players than some of the keyboard warriors on here...

Finally let me point out that at the start of the year we were all expecting to be bottom 4 this season and now everyone is carrying on after losing to a finals contender????

Seriously chill out peeps.

Wayne.

Thoughts on Sacking Scotts and trading Jz?

And hows Garth.

Ok here's my 2 cents worth as its the first game I've seen live for a while.

Ports 'plan A' was simple, have Dixon ruck the whole game and have a 'Richmond' forward line set up with an athletic big (westhoff) and a mosquito fleet at his heels (gray bros, wingard, resting midfielders).
Flood the backline to limit BBB's/JZ's impact and back in their extractors Wines, Boak, Ebert and Polec to win the midfield battle.

Every area of the ground their game plan worked;
Dixon nullified Goldy
Cunners & Jed aside their midfield killed us
BBB was illegally gang banged for 80 mins and probably should've kicked 10 if the frees were paid correctly
Westoff was everywhere and of all people Sam (Kerridge) Gray kicks a bag!

What I also noticed at ground level was our reluctance to have a shot at goal on the run.
Frog's and Zurhaar's non-attempts at the start of the 3rd and 4th quarters respectively were confidence sapping for the team. Both were 40m out on slight angles with no immediate pressure, if either go through (especially Frog's at the start of the second half) it would've got the team revved and the crowd screaming. Baffling.

At the end of the day Scott had no answer to Hinkleys game plan which worked to perfection, oh and the 4-5 goals Kimmie Schmidt gifted them in the first half didn't help either.

However, with Jy, UDL, Zurhaar, EVW and co the future is bright and that I am certain. See you again soon Melbourne.
Next step surely has to be too instruct players to have non under pressure pings from 50?

Turner had figures for that game that were well above his season and career averages for everything except goals. He and JZ led our tackle count.
Should double his count in the reserves. That kick into the approaching player was tat. He was a waste today. Who was on polec?

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Being at the game, goldy workes hard to be an option and our players didn't see him... happened at least 3 times that he was open on our 50m arc.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should double his count in the reserves. That kick into the approaching player was tat. He was a waste today.

Didn't see that kick but what i saw of him was better than 4 other players I could name but won't. Two of whom could have been responsible for Polec at times.

Who was on polec?

I thought Simpkin was alot of the time. I dunno tho. I missed about 40% of the game with afl app issues. It was frustrating and seems to happen whenever I use the app and we lose.

roojor

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Port used the blue print t beat us play three on brown and have a small forward line that does not let Tarrant and Thompson to work off their men. The plus for me was that the players who stood up most that we have doubted were daw and Anderson ports pressure was a the level of the good teams. Till we can match that then we will have games like this

Majak playing good footy and peace declared in Korea.

The Other Dean onto something.

trump-its-happening-gif.256041

Comebackmick

All Australian
Mar 5, 2003
Kyneton
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
true but with benefit of hindsight we were never going to challenge after missing Higgins,

couple of positives for me, saw some more good signs from Simpkin and a lesser extent LDU,

few goals to keep BBB in the coleman race,

maj defence experiment still optimistic.

a few off games by a few players but seriousely lmac and dumont have totally fallen off the radar,

given we likely wont wil a game for the next few weeks really should give ahern and pruesey a run.
Lmac was very disappointing. He's too good a player for the two's but needs a huge kick up the arse of some kind. I saw a couple of occasions where he couldn't be bothered to chase or tackle. Has been poor most weeks this season.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Lmac was very disappointing. He's too good a player for the two's but needs a huge kick up the arse of some kind. I saw a couple of occasions where he couldn't be bothered to chase or tackle. Has been poor most weeks this season.

Something's up with him. He looks mentally fatigued.

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
Wayne.

Thoughts on Sacking Scotts and trading Jz?

And hows Garth.

Of course JZ should be traded, that shouldn't even be a question. After all he didn't get 65 possessions and kick 12 goals on the weekend so he is obviously s**t.

And yep fully on the sack Scotts bandwagon as well. After all he has only out coached Clarkson, Bolton and Richardson this season but he needs to go. Perhaps we could bring Pagan back???

Oh and Garth is good dude, thank you for asking. He says hi!

We just extended my parents basement to include a spa and sauna, and we got a big TV and new speakers so life is good dude :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
I'd be bringing in Walker and Ahern as well as Higgins and leave LDU in for next week. We need to build the midfield up. Take out Turner, Lmac and Ats if they supposedly aren't performing. Play zieball forward for 80% of his match time and rotate the others through the forward line and wing/half back as well as the middle.

We have Sydney up there so without being a defeatist I can't quite see us prevailing; so why not try to blood some new players for underperformers? The defence is fine enough and the forward structure is okay but the middle is where we are really short and get found out and as I said earlier, I want some players who can accumulate every/most weeks.

After watching the VFL match yesterday Ahern looks like he has some nice skills and seems in reasonable nick, but he certainly wasn't what I would call dominant. I know people claim he was being tagged; however to me there are other players in line for a call-up before him. Also I have a few concerns that he will be a similar type of player to Dumont (in that has good skills but in the end is another mid-paced in and under player).

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Possibly.

But I’d like to know what his current role is, he seems as lost as I am when trying to figure out what he’s supposed to be doing.

Is he supposed to be a mid, defender, attacking defender, defensive mid, offensive mid?

He is naturally an attacking defender.

Back