Autopsy Rd 7 Big loss but some promising signs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our leaders as a collective do an excellent job. Our young players need to be educated in an effective way the last thing we want is for them to get a public flogging and then go into their shells. I think what cas did was very appropriate. I hope none of our future leaders turn out to be anything like walker.
Not sure what you are suggesting here??

These kids we picked have an arrogance about them that you can’t teach. It’s a deliberate decision by the club as it shows the player has pride in their own ability.

Sprays feed arrogance, which creates perfection...
Where did you learn this stuff? All research seems to point towards the opposite being true. Man managers with emotional intelligence is the direction most leading organisations are going towards.

To me he comes across really arrogant. Didn’t show up to play in the grand final which didn’t look good for him. I don’t think the way he handled the lever incident panned out well either. Seems to have double standards.
Haha i thought you were referring to Andrew Walker :eek:

These kids we picked have an arrogance about them that you can’t teach. It’s a deliberate decision by the club as it shows the player has pride in their own ability.

Sprays feed arrogance, which creates perfection...
as others have said - works for some not for all. If we want to inspire and provoke passion a spray is not the only way..
(but at times dont get me wrong, I'd love to see the passion of a spray)

as others have said - works for some not for all. If we want to inspire and provoke passion a spray is not the only way..
(but at times dont get me wrong, I'd love to see the passion of a spray)

Time and place.

Player shirking contests, playing selfish, not engaging, important match... By all means, spray away.

Rookie makes skill error but correct decision? No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most pleasing aspects of Bolton’s appointment is the way he has been teaching our players, particularly the young draftees the importance of acknowledging the efforts of others which is a great way to build unity. A great example of this is the way he turned one of our players entering the bus to come back and acknowledge the bus driver during their time is tassie. This may sound simplistic but overall I believe Bolton is building something special.

One of the most pleasing aspects of Bolton’s appointment is the way he has been teaching our players, particularly the young draftees the importance of acknowledging the efforts of others which is a great way to build unity. A great example of this is the way he turned one of our players entering the bus to come back and acknowledge the bus driver during their time is tassie. This may sound simplistic but overall I believe Bolton is building something special.
I saw a similar thing up here at an away game a couple of years ago, when we played Gold Coast at Metricon. I went along to the training session and there was a chance afterwards to get autographs and selfies. As we were leaving, the players were coming out and getting on the bus. A couple made the extra effort to say hi, and it just meant so much to me and my kids, while the rest all boarded. I got to have a brief chat with Jamo, knowing it was his last season. Anyway, there was a girl who was wheel-chair bound with her carer who was getting a selfie with Sam Kerridge, and she was so damn excited. Then, I realised, a couple of players got off the bus to jump into the photo. Next thing, everyone, including Bolts, had all got back off the bus to pose for a team photo with this young girl. She appeared to have just had the day of her life, and I remember yelling, "Well done boys, that's what its all about". My kids were dancing around because the Blues were back, and I was choking back the tears.

I know some will see this as soft, or just some cheap publicity, but I think there is more to it. Bolts is building something special. Yes, it's a rough contact sport, but I think there's more than just a couple of percent to be gained when players are invested, and actually care about the team they are playing in.

I know it feels like there is a long way to go, but don't give up on them. There are poster's here saying they don't bother watching anymore, etc etc, or that it's just a game. I couldn't skip a game if I tried. To some people, it's more than a game.

I remember listening to the 1987 Semi-final against the Hawks while I was delivering pamphlets on my BMX. Nearly tipped over twice because the milk crate was so heavy on the handlebars. I got to see my first game at the MCG a few years later with my mate and his family who ended up raising me after my parents split. Earl Spalding knocked someone out that day, or got knocked out. Can't quite remember. It all felt like a dream.

Years later, when I was deployed in the Army, I used to get newspaper articles from the herald sun sport section cut out and sent to me in a type of care package....lol. Some of the other lads got other types of magazines but I was happy enough hearing about the Blues. Fast forward years later, I'm working overseas again but now I can watch replays over the internet and read all about it on the afl website. I had nearly convinced one of my mates from W.A. to switch to Carlton when Juddy came over. Judd and Fev in the same team was tantalizing. Now I throw the members scarf around my own kids as we sit down and watch the game together. It's always been there through my whole life. They weren't always good games or good years, they weren't always good coaches, or good players. But I was there. Some of you know what I mean, because you were there too.

It doesn't mean I blindly believe in every draft pick along the way, or every trade. Doesn't mean I always agree with the match committee or gameday tactics either. But I'm not going anywhere. They can see what we're cooking.

GO BLUES

sprays feed mudlarks........you're getting carried away........ron barrassi style coaching died in the seventies..........
I used to hear some (& learned some) colorful language from VFA coaches in the '70s at the 1/4 time & 3/4 time huddles. Max Papley could give a spray, as could our own Barry Gill when he was coaching Williamstown

I saw a similar thing up here at an away game a couple of years ago, when we played Gold Coast at Metricon. I went along to the training session and there was a chance afterwards to get autographs and selfies. As we were leaving, the players were coming out and getting on the bus. A couple made the extra effort to say hi, and it just meant so much to me and my kids, while the rest all boarded. I got to have a brief chat with Jamo, knowing it was his last season. Anyway, there was a girl who was wheel-chair bound with her carer who was getting a selfie with Sam Kerridge, and she was so damn excited. Then, I realised, a couple of players got off the bus to jump into the photo. Next thing, everyone, including Bolts, had all got back off the bus to pose for a team photo with this young girl. She appeared to have just had the day of her life, and I remember yelling, "Well done boys, that's what its all about". My kids were dancing around because the Blues were back, and I was choking back the tears.

I know some will see this as soft, or just some cheap publicity, but I think there is more to it. Bolts is building something special. Yes, it's a rough contact sport, but I think there's more than just a couple of percent to be gained when players are invested, and actually care about the team they are playing in.

I know it feels like there is a long way to go, but don't give up on them. There are poster's here saying they don't bother watching anymore, etc etc, or that it's just a game. I couldn't skip a game if I tried. To some people, it's more than a game.

I remember listening to the 1987 Semi-final against the Hawks while I was delivering pamphlets on my BMX. Nearly tipped over twice because the milk crate was so heavy on the handlebars. I got to see my first game at the MCG a few years later with my mate and his family who ended up raising me after my parents split. Earl Spalding knocked someone out that day, or got knocked out. Can't quite remember. It all felt like a dream.

Years later, when I was deployed in the Army, I used to get newspaper articles from the herald sun sport section cut out and sent to me in a type of care package....lol. Some of the other lads got other types of magazines but I was happy enough hearing about the Blues. Fast forward years later, I'm working overseas again but now I can watch replays over the internet and read all about it on the afl website. I had nearly convinced one of my mates from W.A. to switch to Carlton when Juddy came over. Judd and Fev in the same team was tantalizing. Now I throw the members scarf around my own kids as we sit down and watch the game together. It's always been there through my whole life. They weren't always good games or good years, they weren't always good coaches, or good players. But I was there. Some of you know what I mean, because you were there too.

It doesn't mean I blindly believe in every draft pick along the way, or every trade. Doesn't mean I always agree with the match committee or gameday tactics either. But I'm not going anywhere. They can see what we're cooking.

GO BLUES

Beautifully written. Go navy blues.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GO BLUES
Cracking post

Time and place.

Player shirking contests, playing selfish, not engaging, important match... By all means, spray away.

Rookie makes skill error but correct decision? No.

Incorrect decision. Not the first.

Correct the errors early, before people like you pigeon hole him as a ‘poor disposal by foot, why did we draft him’, just like many others...

Again, this is not TAC cup and we need to stop treating them as so, it’s got us absolutely no where with previous picks, times are changing inside our club. We need the harder edge...

GO BLUES

No, don't doubt yourself. Footy at the end of the day is just a game. Good character and being decent young men has value, even if it doesn't lead to more wins.

Having said that, I believe the culture he's been laying the foundations for will eventually have positive payoff on the field.

I think our leaders as a collective do an excellent job. Our young players need to be educated in an effective way the last thing we want is for them to get a public flogging and then go into their shells. I think what cas did was very appropriate. I hope none of our future leaders turn out to be anything like walker.

Personally not a fan of Tex but he is widely recognized as the leading captain in the competition, as rated by HIS peers not on BF...

The better clubs have captains/leaders that we all love to hate, Tex, Hodge, Cotch, Selwood just to name a few but we would kill to have a leader like any of these players at our club. They lead, give sprays at will and make NO apologies for doing either...

Until we can do the same, our club and players will not get to the lofty standards that we expect...

We have a SOFT underbelly and it’s really starting to irk me that some respected posters on here are turning a blind eye to the elephant in the room...

Until we can do the same, our club and players will not get to the lofty standards that we expect...
We have a SOFT underbelly and it’s really starting to irk me that some respected posters on here are turning a blind eye to the elephant in the room...

Well. We had a chance to do something about it and chose not to.

You have to ask; Whose fault is that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back