Autopsy Rd 7 Blues beat Bombers in Epic Encounter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
A bit of credit needs to go to Newnes as well...Tippa was away and it was Newnes who charged across to force Tippa to sidestep into the Parks tackle. I watched the replay and our wingers Newnes and Cottrell were really pushing back into D50 to help our defence.
He flew by Plowman to get there too who was barely in a jog.

Falls over in the contest then coasts around not trying to make up for it leaving his man 1 on 2 until another team mate comes in to take on his man.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
He flew by Plowman to get there too who was barely in a jog.

Falls over in the contest then coasts around not trying to make up for it leaving his man 1 on 2 until another team mate comes in to take on his man.
Not sure if you watched the actual incident. Plowman was 15 m away. Jones (ess) knocks it from Parks to tippa. Parks starts working back. Tippa easily steps Newnes but doesn't realise that Parks has worked back. Parks buries tippa and gives him a bit of afters. Plowman is 15 metres away but comes in and stops Jones (ess) remonstrating.
Did I miss something?

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if you watched the actual incident. Plowman was 15 m away. Jones (ess) knocks it from Parks to tippa. Parks starts working back. Tippa easily steps Newnes but doesn't realise that Parks has worked back. Parks buries tippa and gives him a bit of afters. Plowman is 15 metres away but comes in and stops Jones (ess) remonstrating.
Did I miss something?
What? He didnt leave an opponent unmarked 15 metres closer to goal? How dare he.

Just for clarity in this thread on Parkes. Yeah great hits and all, but giving him credit for a hit on Rozee is probably a bit of a stretch considering he didnt even play. But if he is knocking over guys from the sidelines, he is pretty damn special.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Next week :thumbsu: ;) :laughv1:

It is coming I have no doubt, the way he played in VFL showed him and all that saw that HE IS GOOD!!!!

LOB could be following same trajectory we hope. Been very good.

Newnes and Gibbo both need VFL time and these two can stand up and more than fill these spots.
Their time has come, been a slow burn but here now!
Paddy’s coming, not far off clicking & putting it all together...

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm loving little Fogarty. I like the fact that even on a relativity quiet day he still kicks his couple of goals and gets 15 odd possessions. Tackles were down yesterday.
He is the only player on the entire list who gets into the right positions to kick an opportunistic goal these days. I'm not talking the Butler/Betts out the back goal, I'm talking a proper front and centre ball spilling out a stoppage swoop.

If we hadn't gotten him, we would still be releasing the ball from those situations. He's done more this year to improve us than Williams and Saad have, IMO.

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't know about this specific incident, but I've noticed Tippa is a little bit of a sniper lately...
Fourth qtr.

Cottrell off the ground, Tippa makes no attempt for the ball, eyes on Cottrell. Bump.
16250E25-35E9-4B3E-88A9-C09ABE262E2E.jpeg

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Paddy’s coming, not far off clicking & putting it all together...
He got some nice touches pity he went off.
I think our club is like a smoldering Volcano that's about to erupt (or maybe I'm describing me).
There's a few words sitting on the tip of my tongue, that are going to be unleashed with hot fury towards a couple of smartarse oppo supporters I know.
C'mon Blues let it click, I'm ready to rampage.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbo was horrendous by foot, but, need to look deeper into the disposal efficiency

Equal 1st for i50 tackles
Equal 2nd clearances
3rd for pressure
Equal 3rd for contested possessions
Equal 4th tackles
Equal 5th I50
Equal 6th score involvements

11 other players had the same or worse clangers and turnovers

Think he stays in the side this week, again

Last edited:

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Thought Levi once again drew a defender so H wasn't double teamed

Equal 3rd for inside 50's and 6 score involvements, equal 6th for pressure acts and 7 of his 11 possessions were constested

He was excellent in the third q, need him to start clunking them consistently again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ken Navies

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I was at the game and turned off the radio ABC 774 commentary with Brendon Goddard gushing all about Essendon and saying "we" instead of "them" First time I have ever turned off the ABC.

Although, I used to turn off Rex Hunt on 3AW, couldn't stand him. Brian Taylor is just as bad. Must be something in those sashes.
Commentary is at an all time low. Dopey ex players dribbling agendas or Mcaveney/Cometti wannabes screaming their **** off to convey the fact that something exciting has happened. Do they even understand that it’s a visual medium?

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The Levi back heel was magnificent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
yeah levi was smart to back heel it there but what about cunners just before he gave it to levi ? he was caught between 3 * mids within a 1 m of each and still they couldnt lay a tackle on him.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Rosscoe

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Our centre clearance work was abysmal on the weekend, Cripps was a dead set liability as soon as he lost the clearance he just stood there or went to ground leaving us 1 short, I think he was responsible for 3 Essendon goals in the 3rd Qtr with terrible stoppage work that turned the ball over.

If he cant run we can not play him in the centre end of story, if we play the same way at the centre bounce against the Dogs the game will be over at Qtr time as they are the best team for scoring from centre bounces, Setterfield needs to come back in and take over as the bull at centre bounces until Cripps can run or we will get slaughtered.

Cunningham’s speed and quick clean hands around the contest was very good let’s hope he can back it up against the Dogs as it will be needed, Walsh is just sublime and if others could work as hard as him we would be top 4.

Just for those Ed Curnow baggers his kicking this year has been very good and is leading the mids for kicks and has also had very descent efficiency, gone are the around the corner hack kicks and in are the precision kicks forward of centre, all this while closing down the oppositions best mid, loving his work.

If we want to beat the Dogs or start winning more often our work rate without the ball will need a huge improvement, last years improvement came off the back of a big improvement in our defensive running this year it has regressed and it shows in the results.

Less emphasis on moving the ball fast and more emphasis on our speed without the ball will see a much improved side, this was my concern during pre season and it is proving to be correct and until our priorities shift we will continue to be middle of the road.

I needed to have another look..I agree our stoppages need work; I think we are one dimensional and going to Cripps is becoming far to predictable. He lifted the last quarter though. I think we need another mid that can break a tackle in there with him. Maybe Stocker or Cotrell in the future but for the moment I would give gibbons more time as he looks like a traditional rover that hawks the ruck man.

Cunningham is growing, Curnow has lifted and Walsh could be a once in a generation type player.

I agree; to bet the dogs we are going to need speed of the ball to limit the damage they can do on the spread. I think if we can lock it in for sustained periods and keep pressure on their defence they could buckle.

Back