Autopsy Rd 7 Blues beat Bombers in Epic Encounter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Having watched the replay a few times a number of things stood out:

We need to be better in the centre square. Pitto needs to stop falling over and leaving us 3 on 4. Razors terrible bouncing didn't help especially with his reluctance to recall it. Midfielders need to do a better job defensively this weekend or the Dog will destroy us.

We need to get the ball in deeper when kicking inside 50. Bombers took way too many incept marks in dangerous spaces that allowed them to rebound, especially early in the game. Players like Cox were able to flood back and mark while our forwards were bodied out of the contest.

Like your summary you touched on better disposal , in particular in the last quarter imo made the difference .
When the heat goes up and and pressure on we normally just keep turning it over until the opposition take advantage and run away with the win .
Did notice this start of the last quarter and thought oh no here we go again .
But we did tidy up and in fact it was Essendon that was coughing it up more and we where taking advantage .
Normally its just basic execution in a tight game that gets you over the line .
Sadly that hasnt been a strong point of ours for many years .
True. For once our pressure (rather than just going through the motion) Caused them to hack kick and dispose quicker then normal. Surprise surprise it paid dividends. the fall out of Loosing to the Preschool bombers would have been devastating.

Having watched the replay a few times a number of things stood out:

We need to be better in the centre square. Pitto needs to stop falling over and leaving us 3 on 4. Razors terrible bouncing didn't help especially with his reluctance to recall it. Midfielders need to do a better job defensively this weekend or the Dog will destroy us.

We need to get the ball in deeper when kicking inside 50. Bombers took way too many incept marks in dangerous spaces that allowed them to rebound, especially early in the game. Players like Cox were able to flood back and mark while our forwards were bodied out of the contest.

Pitto is mostly hopeless at tap rucking for two reasons 1) he has hard hands; because, 2) he has no jump in him at all...( maybe because he is doing so much work ) - the best work he does is when he occassionally just smashess the ball forwards- ala Sandilands.

Only just reading the thread now but has anyone mentioned how biased the commentators (Darcy and BT) were during this game?

Every time Essendon went forward or did anything exciting they went ballistic. Cripps kicks that epic sealer and Darcy sounded like it personally wounded him.

Appalling calls from them.

BT is actually a very knowledfgeable commentator but is being paid to be a clown - he is also (obvcoiusly) eeasily bored with any game he calls, offers very littel insight into the game and just focuses on contests - Darcy is as dumb as a brick - and all he knows of Carlton liek most younger commentators is that we have been shyte for most of his life.

Pittonet is getting way to much hate here lately. Yes he played like a headless chook against the Druggies, but has little back up support up until Two's return (Casboult is not the answer) and had played a lot more good/decent games for our club, than bad ones.

Pittonet is getting way to much hate here lately. Yes he played like a headless chook against the Druggies, but has little back up support up until Two's return (Casboult is not the answer) and had played a lot more good/decent games for our club, than bad ones.

"......way too much hate...." ??? show me, I will break my personal rule about button mashing - and smash the report button on the 'hater' at least 10 times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree! should have got pinged for incorrect disposal

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
No he shouldn't. No prior and made a genuine attempt to get rid of it. 100% play on.
If he had prior he'd be gone, or if he had just dropped it without trying to kick it.

Watched the game again.

A win, and a good one at that, but against a side we should beat.

I'll take that as progress and it is directional improvement, but to really see some true competitive grit from this team we need to do this consistently as well as occasionally cause an upset against the top teams.
Which hopefully we may be on the way to doing, perhaps the Collingwood game was just an outlier in hindsight.

9-0 clearances or whatever absurd statistic it was in the 3rd was pretty alarming, regardless of result.
A good team would have destroyed us during that run.
We also leaked a lot of goals late.
Coaches need to reassess yet again as there is much to improve, but much better today overall.

I can't be too critical however... they beat Essendon!
Which (alongside Hawthorn and Collingwood) is the most pleasurable and important win of the year from a sentimental perspective for me.

I loved seeing multiple kids playing and actually being solid contributors to the team's output.
Cunningham, Owies, Parks, Fogarty, Big H, Stocker, SPS & even Dow before he got subbed out.

Cunningham, Owies, Parks, Fogarty & Stocker in particular bring an intensity and drive we sorely need in the team's make up.
They should be permanent Best-22 fixtures as a result, as long as they do their job.

Let's see how we back it up against the Doggies next week
We are the Navy Blues!

Pitto had 9 to advantage from 35 hitouts, 69 contests

Levi 2 to advantage, 6 hitouts, 19 contests

I agree with Levi’s stats. I counted 6 more hit outs to advantage for pitts. The bad bounce differential was -3 for pitts and -1 for Cas. Cas gave away 2 free kicks at stoppages Pitto was +2. The Clearance differential was even.

Back